CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:22 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I have a 22, 223, 22-250 all with scopes. I bore sight them all in then take them to the range, they will be off left or right or low or high. I start out at 25 yards get it set for the center of target shoot several groups when I am on center of target I then go to 100 yard [223 & 22-250] get it shoot ing groups at one inch high then you are dead on at 200 yds.
22 I go 25 yd and move out to the 50 yard and stop. on a good bench rest at 100 yds. with my 700 Rem. 22-250 three shot group can be covered with a nickel . with that wolf Russian ammo same shots in about 4" circle that ammo is no good.

Frog

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Don't short sight
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

While it can be true that rifles sighted in at 100yds may be 1 inch high at 25 yds. A rifle sighted at 25yds and is an inch high may be 1-2 inches low at 100 but could be 6-8 inches off in two dimensions, which means misses and wounding shots. You would be wise to sight your rifle for 100yds if that is your optimum long range or 200 yds if in open areas, then make reference shots at shorter distances to understand how the loads behave at these common ranges. My 300 WSM is dead on at 100yds, .75 inches high at 25 inches