CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:58 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i hunt with and old marlin. im thing about gettin a 22 pistol that shoot 22mag and put a scope on it

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:39 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I was using a Glenfield bolt action .22 I bought at the flea market, til I found out what it was worth.I bought a New England .17 mach 2 and love it.We have also used my buddy's son's mossberg auto.It's a great gun for the money(I think he gave $50.00 for it at the flea market)and it only weighs about 2 pounds.In the summer I carry a .410 pistol that I bought at a gun show (but looks like it was made in prison)for snakes.It works really well,and one look at it and the Game Warden KNOWS you aren't going to shoot a coon with it, so they don't give me any crap about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:04 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

The rifles I have used are a Remington nylon 66 and a Ruger 10/22. I just bought a Walther P-22 with a laser site and am happy with it.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:52 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I use a New England 17 HMR single shot break open pretty kick butt gun packs a punch...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:11 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i use my great grandfathers old Remington modle 550-1 :D shoots better than a brand new rifle :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:53 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i was using my grandpa's mossberg .22 but it is heavy and I don't want to scratch it so I bought a rossi matched pair. i use the .22 barrel and it works great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:54 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i used a nylon 66 for a while then that broke, then i got a rem. 597 .22, and i just won a .17hmr and will be slinging that around from now on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:25 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I use and old single shot bolt action .22 I also have a a gun exactly like that black one in the pic above, i keep out in the barn. i ahve a Remington Semi-auto .22 i'll use now and then. then a ol' 20 guage and a 1945 Police Issue Ithica 12 guage for the bigguns. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:42 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i used to hunt with a savage .17 mach2 but that was making to big of holes for my likeing. i use a 10/22 now,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i use a single shot bolt action very, very, old remington targetmaster .22.

Michael Gardner
seoklacoonhunter@yahoo.com

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:55 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Depends on the mood I'm in but usually an old Marlin bolt-action 22. It was my first gun. You definitely want to kill the coon, not just knock it down for the dog to fight. Coon hound paralysis is a horribly slow way for your dog to die and if he lives it's an even longer, slow recovery. Some dogs are never the same even if they live through it. It's bad enough that you don't want to risk your dog getting it if you can prevent it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:35 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

me and my hunting buddy were using a lever action henry .22 but 40 rounds later and still no coon we are using his rem speedmaster. i wont call any names (he visits the site regularly and will know who im talkin about) on who was shooting but no the barrel is not bent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:35 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Bolt action cricket. Awesome peep sight for night . It works great. Light and durable. Oh yeah and pretty cheap too.

Dylan Crabtree

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:55 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i appreciate all the responses....it seems that the .22 is the gun of choice. i guess i'll go to my local walmart and choose between one of the several tha they have on display there.....i talked to a guy tonight and he said that he uses a .22(of course) and uses cb22's for bullets what do ya'll prefer for your ammo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:55 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

From my experience, cheaper is better.Just make sure that if you have a scope on the gun you set the scope with the ammo you're gonna use to hunt.I buy Federal hollow points at Wal-Mart for 9.99 for 550 rounds.Seems the hollow points expand alot quicker and don't leave exit holes that often.And when choosing your gun, remember that you're gonna beat it up and have to carry it thru God knows what and you don't need a nice, expensive,heavy gun.I built a Remington 597 .22,put a bull barell on it, and even had a thumbhole stock custom made for it,and put a high dollar scope on it.By the time I got done with it, it was so heavy,and I had so much money tied up in it, I didn't want to carry it in the woods.I think you can get a Mossberg semi-auto with a scope at Wal-Mart for around $90 bucks.My friend has one,and it weighs around 2 lbs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next