CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: light on your coon gun?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

any body put lights on your gun so you can go out alone? if so show me your set up. i just bought this nice little mag light for 6 bucks and taped her on my 22 mag hope it works good for the first day friday night :)

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:55 pm 
IP:
I have a light zip tied on my gun so i can see through my scope cause i like to hunt with a scope so i can get sure head shots.i have hade no problem with it and i like it alot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:11 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ya tied it out on some trees last night i can see threw my scope pefect i encourange others to try this

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:34 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Safety tip-Don't use this rig for anything other than spotting and shooting out coon. Some might slip into a bad habit of using scopes to check on dogs and that gets to be pointing your gun at something you wouldn't want to shoot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:17 pm 
IP:
Ya it's kinda hard for me to do that with mine i just have a little 3x9 scope and a little AA battery flash light, just enough to pick out a coons eyes in a tree.
I zip tied mine on so i dont get tape marks on my gun but its your choice i guess.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:48 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Zip ties sure sound better than tape. You could put some thin strips of foam rubber between the barrel and the light to steady it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:01 pm 
IP:
ya im sure it would help steady it but it's not like your takin a 500 yard shot itsjust a coon in a tree.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i just use mine for the trees and a head lamp to walk with a little cleaning oil on the barrel shot take the tape stuff off when iam done and it keeps it on my gun too while iam walking better i think but whatever an i found this light at walmart it only takes one aaa battery and its completly straight made by mag light for how small it is sure does shine good

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:24 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I put a picatanny rail towards the forend on some of my guns stocks and mounted on a surefire light. It works really good. Sorry if some of the spelling is off.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:39 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

if you wear your light on a helmet or hat,##*%* the hat a little sideway so the light shines down the barrel, im lefthanded so i ##*%* my hat a little to the right light shines right where im lookin in the scope,go out in the backyard at night and try it, a little practice and its like second nature, i hunt 90% of the time by myself, tried many way but a scope and a this way on holding the light work the best ive found

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:46 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Tip your hat sideways like ohiocoonhunter said. That's all I've ever done and never had a problem seeing a coon in the sights of my 10/22. But I always went out at night before season and sighted it in that way. It seems like I'd shoot a little different than if I was out in the daytime. Recently I've been carrying a Ruger Mark III pistol so don't have to worry about it anymore, just point and shoot.