CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:08 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

THIS POST IS ON ANOTHER BOARD AND IS A CONCERNED VA HOUNDSMAN. WE NEED EVERYONE TO WRITE IN TO THE SAC AND LET THEM KNOW OF YOUR STRONG SUPPORT OF HOUND HUNTING. PLEASE EVERYONE SEND IN THOSE EMAILS.

I've lurked a long time but am compelled to post because of this Study. I also posted the same information on another forum that caters to still hunters, as this Study pertains to them as well in some ways.

I have hunted with and without hounds, and I understand why some still hunters dislike hound hunters so much. I also deeply respect the rights of landowners, and fully support their right to restrict access to their property.

Having said that, I must tell you that hound and still hunters are completely mistaken about this study. The Strategic Advisory Committee has indeed made some reasonable recommendations - but they are only recommendations. I'm sure many good houndsmen and landowners guided these people and I appreciate their efforts.

But then I read the Technical Report. The entire thing; and I read it several times. And I am just appalled. It is nothing more than our game department rationalizing doing away with hunting - all hunting, and focusing instead on outdoor recreation. They're just starting with houndsmen - still hunters will not be far behind.

Many people, but mostly still hunters, may not realize that animal rights groups have been very active and effective during the entire study period. The entire Technical Report is not only anti-hunting with hounds, it is anti-hunting in general. Including bird dogs.

Anyone who supports hunting - any form of hunting of any species, would be well advised to read the entire Technical Report, and ask yourself why the study participants (not the SAC) felt it necessary to consult animal rights groups, continually make references to public opinion about hunting (not hunting with hounds - but HUNTING), keep referencing the drop in numbers of hunters (which is not borne out by recent US Fish and Wildlife data), and keep focusing on outdoor recreation.

Why? Ask yourself why. Why is a group whose leader has recently been convicted of dog theft consulted about the welfare of hunting dogs? This same convict is speaking at the National Animal Rights Conference being held this week in DC - and being hailed as a hero.

I'm trying to figure out why any American landowner would approve of this study when the Burns Inquiry is referred to repeatedly. The Burns Inquiry is what led to the ban on foxhunting in the UK. But UK law is different than the US - about the same time they were banning foxhunting Parliament created the "Right to Roam" act - an act that would horrify any landowner in the US. In the UK, the public has a right to access any private land - the landowner CANNOT prohibit them.

There is a great deal that is ethical and responsible about hunting, with and without hounds. I think we all know that it's difficult to find good places to hunt. We all know that we have to share the land with people who prefer to birdwatch or kayak or cycle, or still hunters that resent our presence or that of our hounds. But we need to share - and no one appears willing.

I know what has happened in Oregon and Washington, and that's why I knew what was in the Technical Report about those states was not the whole story. I don't want Virginia to be next, and I'm afraid it's going to be.

If any of you reside in Virginia, visit this Commonwealth for pleasure or business, have bought your hounds from breeders here - please email your strong support of hunting with hounds to HoundHuntingSAC@vt.edu before September 12th. If any of you have any questions, I'd be happy to do my best to answer them. Thank you!

PROUD MEMBER OF :
TEAM OAK MOUNTAIN FRITO
TEAM WIPEOUT SCOOTER D

[color=BLACK]TEAM ALL GRAND TRACKMAN
TEAM ROCK BOTTOM SWEAT IT

CURT AHRING STUD BARN CENTRAL
5162 County Rd #233
Monroe City, MO 63456
*** NEW NUMBER ***
CELL- 217-617-0792

FOR REFFERENCE ON TRACKMAN & SWEAT IT
CALL BUZZ LYNCH @ 615-368-7319

Nite-Time Hunting & Pet Supply
James, Benga, J.D. & Isabella Atwell
3875 North Scenic Hwy.
Bastian Va, 24314
1-276-688-3281
1-304-922-1103
1-304-922-2311

VISIT :
http://www.nitetimesupply.com

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:15 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I have cast my support.

'PR' TERMITE'S ROWDY
'PR' JOLLIE'S BUCK BRUSH AUGGIE