CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:29 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

I received news of this "dangerous dog" ordinance trying to be passed in Lawrence County from a unlikely foe yesterday. I am cross posting this info. While the person who alerted me to this may not be my favorite person in the world, the fact of of what is trying to be passed can have ripple effects on neighboring counties. A similar bill has died in the Alabama State Senate and House this past session.

Quote:
The Lawrence County, AL Commission has asked their county attorney, Cecil Caine, to draft a "dangerous dog" ordinance to be presented at the next commission meeting. That will be Monday, June 11 at 9am.

I have spoken to Cecil and tried to explain the problems we have with Cam Ward's bill but I'm not sure he understands. I have a feeling that whatever he presents will be along the same lines as the House and Senate bills that didn't pass.

Anyone can attend the meeting but to be able to make comments you have to be on the agenda. This is simple - you call the Commissioner's Court at 256-974-0663 and give them your name and the topic you wish to speak on. You do not have to make any comments when it's your turn if you decide not to but you will not be allowed to speak if you're not on their list.

I am on the agenda. Since I have no way of knowing what, exactly, Cecil will present, any comments will have to be done on the fly. I would desperately like to have people there to confer with before I get up to say anything. I would also love to be able to back up other speakers. Even if you don't intend to speak, having a good sized group of concerned dog owners there will let the commission know that it's a serious subject.

I realize that this is just the start of a long process but I feel that we need to let the commission know from the get go that we, as dog owners, take this kind of legislation seriously whether it be local or state wide.

If you are in the Moulton/Lawrence Co area - even if you live in a surrounding county - please come if you can. Make some phone calls to anyone you think should be concerned about this. If Lawrence Co passes something like this, it's only a matter of time before others do it, too.

I would also love any suggestions from the listers on what comments I should make. I have never done anything like this before. My phone number is 256-974-1840 if you would like to call and talk about this. I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me.

Beth Spillers, DCR

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!