CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am posting this from another forum. These new regulations are set to be accepted in less there is we do something.This will put a lot of kennels out of business. I will paste the original post from a kennel owner in PA John Yates. even if you don't live in PA please send a letter commenting that you disagree with the laws.If you live in PA and own/sell/give away 26 dogs or more it effects you. This could spread to you state next thanks.(if this was posted already I apologize I did not see it) Here is a link that allows you to email the department of agriculture to tell them you oppose these laws.

http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/agri ... ultureNav=

Today, I received a mailing from a group calling itself "The American Canine Association, Inc." The material discussed proposed changes in Pennsylvania Kennel regulations that, if correect, would have a strong potential to put almost every kennel in Pennsylvania out of business. The material provided a URL for the Pennsylvania Bulletin, which publishes rulemaking for a period of public comment that ends on February 15.

Here is the link to the PA Bulletin page (I also put it in the links section): http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/data/v ... /2452.html .

Strangely, the state didn't send me a copy of the proposed new rules, and I am the owner of a state licensed kennel. It sounds like it is being pushed through secretively.

Quoting from the PA Bulletin, here is the bottom line: "The costs to the regulated community will be varied, depending on the size and condition of the existing kennel. It is estimated that the costs will range from $5,000 to $20,000 per existing kennel for compliance with the new standards."

According to the mailing I got, the new rules will do many things, including:

1. Require doubling of kennel sizes, exercizing every dog ON A LEASH for 20 minutes a day and documenting it, require health certificates for all dogs entering the state (even if you drive out of state to buy a puppy), prohibit licensed kennels from doing business with private parties (i.e. I can't buy a puppy from you), and impose strict temperature controls for inside AND outside kennels (Yes, Robert will indeed have to take his dogs to bed with him when it is cold outside...and it sounds like air condioning will be required when it's hot).

2. Impose massive amounts of paperwork on kennel owners (a record will have to be kept for each dog giving the day and time its bowls are cleaned, the days and times it is exercised on a leash, the days and times its kennels are cleaned, etc. etc. etc.). It probably will take more time to do the paperwork than to do the actual work.

3. There are many other changes regulating kennel construction, management practices, etc. etc.

4. Fines of a minimum of $100 a day, up to $500 a day, will be imposed for even small violations.

5. The state can sieze any dog that is not in compliance with the regulations, and charge you for each dog's care while you are fixing the problem. Heavy fines and dog siezures are mandated for non-licensed kennels.

6. Many bird dog people would be required to obtain a kennel license. If anyone keeps, sells or gives away 26 dogs a year, that person must comply with the rules. That means if you have six dogs and raise three litters of puppies a year, the rules apply to you. The rules would have a major impact on every professional trainer in Pennsylvania, of which I am one.

It was not widely published, but last year Gov. Rendell fired the entire Dog Law Enforcement Advisory Committee, and put in his own people. It seems that the new committee has been quite busy.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If you're not receiving SAOVA's legislative and election elist alerts, you may self-subscribe at http://saova.org/alerts.html
Bob Kane

----- Original Message -----
To: S_Mid-Atlantic
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2007 11:37 PM
Subject: PA Kennel Rulemaking Savaged By State Independent Regulatory
Review Commission

Dear Pennsylvania Friends,

Your Department of Agriculture's December 16, 2006 proposed kennel
regulations http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/data/vol36/36-
50/2452.html and the public comments submitted on them have been
reviewed by the State's Independent Regulatory Review Commission
(IRRC). That review totally savages the proposal, giving particular
weight to Harrisburg legislator comments, as expected. The IRRC 3.2
MB report may be downloaded at
http://www.irrc.state.pa.us/download/25 ... MMENTS.pdf

Basically, the Department has been told to go back to ground zero and
start over from scratch, e.g.

"Next steps for this rulemaking
Given the considerable public involvement and legislative interest in
this proposed regulation and the strong support for major revisions
in the rulemaking, the Department should work to guarantee full
public review of proposed revisions. We strongly encourage the
Department to organize stakeholder meetings with representatives from
all types of kennels to develop a full understanding of their
operations, dogs and clients. In this way, it can develop standards
that will protect the health and safety of dogs while simultaneously
recognizing the unique functions at different kennels. The Department
should work with affected parties, experts, concerned citizens, and
the General Assembly to develop improved ideas for achieving its
policy objectives without imposing unnecessary or unreasonable
financial burdens.

Section 902 of the Dog Law (Law) (3 P.S. ยง 459-902) requires that the
Department hold a public hearing before it promulgates final
regulations. The Department could use this hearing as one opportunity
for input. We urge the Department to make proposed revisions
available for the public and legislators to review before the
hearing. Interested parties could submit written comments and participate in the hearing. The Department should also publish an Advanced Notice of Final Rulemaking and provide an opportunity for public comment to resolve any remaining issues before submitting a final-form regulation."
--

There's no published timetable for this new effort, but this is a
major setback for the rulemaking's animal rights supporters and the
Department of Agriculture. Thank you all for responding to SAOVA's
call for action and in particular for sharing your concerns with the
members of the Senate and House Agriculture Committees.

Freely share this good news.

http://vhdoa.uplandbirddog.com http://saova.org

Profile  WWW