CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm very sorry to bring you this information. I thought that we had a chance at winning this one.
Thanks to Everyone that pitched in to help try to defeat this silly bill.

Irv Corbin
Concerned & Working Member
California Houndsmen For Conservation
North Central California Houndsmen Association

09/27/2006 GAAS:685:06 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Print Version

Governor Schwarzenegger Signs Legislation to Outlaw Inhumane Dog Tethering
Governor Schwarzenegger announced today the signing of SB 1578 by Senator Alan Lowenthal (D-Long Beach) that would prohibit dog owners from the cruel practice of tethering their pets to stationary objects for more than three hours.

“Owning a dog can be a very rewarding experience. As a dog owner, I know first hand that having a pet requires a lot of responsibility,” said Governor Schwarzenegger. “This bill helps protect dogs from cruelty, and enhances public safety by preventing aggressive animal behavior that can result from inhumane tethering.”

SB 1578 outlaws the tethering of a dog for more than three hours. Tethering a dog will result in an infraction or misdemeanor, depending on the offense, punishable by a fine not to exceed $1,000 per dog and/or up to six months in a county jail.

Last week, Governor Schwarzenegger signed two other bills to enhance pet safety. SB 1806 by Senator Liz Figueroa (D-Fremont) will make it a crime for pet owners to carelessly leave animals unattended in vehicles during dangerous conditions, such as hot weather. SB 1349 by Senator Soto (D-Pomona) increases the penalty for causing any animal to fight with another animal to one year or less in the county jail or up to a $5,000 fine, or both. The second offense for fighting animals or roosters can be a felony in some cases, which may result in prison time or a $25,000 fine, or both.

Irv Corbin
Concerned & Working Member
California Houndsmen For Conservation
North Central California Houndsmen Association

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:21 pm 
IP:
Thats ridiculous. You can't do anything in California anymore. First banning trapping and now that. It's ridiculous.

Post subject: Outrageous!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:21 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Here's the press release
http://gov.ca.gov/index.php?/press-release/4100/

I guess he'd rather the dogs run loose and get hit by cars?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:33 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm not from CA, so I could be wrong about this, but I heard about it, and I thought it referred to dogs that were, say tethered to a tree in a yard, without a doghouse or other shelter. I didn't think it referred to a dog that was being cared for and had adequate shelter and water and food, but was tied up to a stationary object.

Could be wrong though...that's just what I thought it was all about, you know, we've all seen dogs in cities that are just tied up to a tree or railing, and have no shelter...and CA would be very hot in the summer.