Chop Mouth

Please read this News Release:

Mississippi Raccoon Hunter's Assoc.
Joan Morgan
1134 Deerfield Dr.
Summit, Ms. 39666
601-276-5825

NEWS RELEASE

The test study conducted by the Mississippi Wildlife Division on running raccoon during turkey season was a total success. 246 dog permits were issued at a cost of $10.00 each. The test area covered the southeastern part of the state. There were no conflicts noted. Yes, that's right, no conflicts between the turkey hunter and the coon hunter that used the vacant woods at night.

Yet, with this study in hand the Mississippi Wildlife Commissioners turned down a request from raccoon hunters to lift ban on running and training of dogs during the two months spring turkey season. They voted to run the same test over again. No conflict noted-no problem, just run it again. This is just a delay tactic by the commissioners. Mississippi is the only state that has this ban. WILL YOU BE ABLE TO RUN YOUR DOGS DURING THE FALL TURKEY SEASON?

A few people with money and power with the Mississippi Wild Turkey Federation are dictating how we can use our own land. We have been told by a representative of the Mississippi Wild Turkey Federation, in a public commissioners meeting that we were beer drinking hunters that sit on the tailgate. When we get sleepy and drunk, we go home and leave our dogs in the woods for others to contend with. In addition, we were also told in a panel meeting moderated by a state wildlife representative, that if we continued to pursue lifting of ban we would find dead dogs and empty collars in the woods.

The sport hunters of Mississippi do not support these crude, threatening insults. We believe that the Mississippi Chapter of the Wild Turkey Federation does not reflect the policy of the National Wild Turkey Federation, which has earned our respect by supporting all hunters. (See Doug Howlett’s article in Sep. Oct. issue of Turkey Call and their web site.)

At the conclusion of the commissioner's meeting, we met with Dr. Polles, Executive Director of the Mississippi Wildlife Division and requested him to furnish the commissioners with additional information.
(1) Summary of rules and regulations for coon dog running in neighboring states during turkey season. We understand this information already exists in the offices of the Wildlife Division. Again, no other state had this ban.
(2) Impact of money loss to the state due to this ban. Money needed by the state to help fund schools, hospitals, and law enforcement. The Grand American Coon Hunt in Orangeburg, South Carolina, brought in approximately 2 million dollars to that area. We do not know how much the PKC Winter Classic held in Louisville, Mississippi, in February brought into the state. Approximately 400 competition raccoon dogs were entered. There are many sporting dog events held the state except during the two month ban. According to a 2001 survey, more than 210 million dollars is spent each year on fishing related activities in Mississippi. We believe the hunting dog industry economic impact is comparable.

Any one wishing to write a hand written letter in regards to this topic feel free to do so and mail them to:
Dr. Sam Polles
Executive Director
Mississippi Wildlife Division
1505 Eastover Dr.
Jackson, Ms. 39211
601-432-2400

OR
The Wild Turkey Federation
Rob Keck, CEO
P.O. Box 530 Edgefield, South Carolina 29824

803-637-3106

WE NEED YOUR HELP. YOUR STATE MAY BE NEXT. THE ANTI-HUNTING GROUPS LOVE THIS NAME CALLING AND THREATS BY THE MISSISSIPPI WILD TURKEY FEDDERATION

Leonard Burchfield, President
Mississippi Raccoon Hunter's Assoc.
2687 Attala Rd.
Ethel, Ms. 39067
662-674-5087

PLEASE RESPOND IMMEDIATLEY!

Benjie Massie

NTCH GRCH BTTB Sugar Cane

Sugar Candy Cane(Crokett's BLK Nute x Sugar Cane)

http://www.sdh.proboards.com/

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:25 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i spoke with mrs morgan tonight the miss coon hunting acc will have a rep. at the meeting on june 7
meeting is open to the public
it is in jackson the mwf dept.
just off lakeland drive on eastover road the meeting will be held at 1:00
mrs. morgan says there will be a bunch of coon hunters at this meeting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

As a member of the NWTF and a fellow coon hunter this bothers me very much. I personally hunt turkey, coon, deer, rabbit, quail, dove and preditors. I am also a fisherman....... I have sent notification to the NWTF requesting to withdraw my membership... I find the comments made by the MS. chapter to be demeaning and resentful and I will not support this kind of action anywhere in the U.S.

Best of Luck to all of you down there in MS.
Mike

PS: I have written the NWTF a formal letter explaining why I will no longer support thier group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:40 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I sent letters in last year when all this got started. The NWTF headquarters wrote back saying basically "they didnt have a dog in that fight.". Its the MS Chapter of the NWTF that needs to written and the MS dept of Wildlife that needs to written. Even though MS said they didnt care what I wanted. I do support withdrawal of membership to the NWTF as protest but notify them of why membership is being denied.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:05 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

the thing i dont get is this is the 3rd yr of this test
and up to now i havent heard or seen any problems i even hear bird kill is up down there in the southeast part of the sate

i think maybe the state will just keep playing this game untill the people get tired of it and head to jackson to complain at one of the meeting that are held each month

has mrs. morgan said if it has even been brought up at any meetings sence last yr???????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:03 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I just got off the phone with Mr. Morgan of the Mississippi Raccoon Hunter's Assoc.
Here is some of what going on at present;

There were no complaints last year during the test.
The State of MS voted against allowing the running of coonhounds 3 to 2 anyway.
The State also allowed for the test to continue again this Year.
Kenny Odom of the MS NWTF sent out a letter @2 weeks ago asking all Turkey Hunters to please report any and all violations that occur(sounds almost like he is wanting folks to make up complaints to Me)
The Mississippi Raccoon Hunter's Assoc. went before the Commision @ 2 weeks ago and asked for an early vote on the issue.
The Commission declined.
The Commission stated it would vote on the issue in May after this years study is completed.
The Mississippi Raccoon Hunter's Assoc. is hoping for it to pass this year due to new Commisioners on the commission.
The biggest obsticle in front of us now is members of the MS NWTF chapter creating complaints to sabatoge the study.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:04 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

well even if they did complain it would seem that
the mswtf would have to prove it was real and not just some made up thrash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

hi i live in east tn. I turkey hunt but i have coonhunted all my life. We dont have a problem up here. so i dont what the problem is down there. maybe they cant kill a turkey and whant somthing to cry about. tell them to come up here and this old mountain boy call one up for them and then go tree a coon that night. when they said they would deaddog orempty collors in the woods i would have said f thats the case there is going to be alot of dead turkeys laying beside them. good luck boys. you have tn coonhunters suport.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:59 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

it heats up more and more each year b@tman
if a coonhunter would have said something about dead birds they prob would ban all dog hunting in the state all together....in cases like this i think money talks and the turkey hunters have a large backing

i think it would help if PKC UKC would send info on how many out state hunters attended mississippi hunts maybe that way the state can put a dollar est. to what they might be spending on each time they come to a hunt here that way atleast the cooners can say hey look the state is losing this much money to other states because you cant run a hound in our state during turkey season
just going before the board in jackson a few times a yr wont change anything

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Sorry about that last comment but it just heats me up when one hunter does not respect other hunters. NO MATTER WHAT YOU HUNT. I will talk to some people and see what we can do to help i hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Sorry about that last comment but it just heats me up when one hunter does not respect other hunters. NO MATTER WHAT YOU HUNT. I will talk to some people and see what we can do to help i hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:38 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

here is the updated regs from the state on hunting dogs during turkey seasons
http://www.mdwfp.com/Level2/Wildlife/pd ... 20dogs.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

We are having similar problems here in Va. I'm not completely sure about all the specifics on it, but basically NWTF is pushing hard for a bill that states you can't use running dogs on less than a 1000 acres. Land like that while it still exists is getting scarce. The biggest thing is not nessecarily this bills but the bills that will come from this one. They are already talking about doing away with your right to retrieve your dog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:32 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

What makes turkey hunting more inportant than coon? Also turkeys are hunted in the day coons at night! Also turkeys are roosting in the trees at night and wont move till daylight. ? Freedom dont you love it!