CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:05 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

[. i can curb alot of training headaches with how i raise them till they are old enough to go to the timber.and leaving a dog in the pen or on a chain till they are old enough to go is definantly the WRONG thing to do.some people think you just leave them alone and wait till they are old enough to go. there is alot of pre training for that time between 3 months and 10 months old that will prevent alot of headaches in puppy training.
i have never saw where letting pups play and rough house in the yard together pre trained it for anything but to be a headache in the woods later.you can take the best bred pup in the world and train in alot of faults between 3 and 10 months old without ever relizing it, untill you try and train it in the woods and see it. then say,i wonder if it does this or that because that is what he would always do when playing with the house dog in the yard for the last several months.[/quote]

Amen: If you want to see what leaveing them on a chain or in a pen till 8-11 months old can do I can show you. One 8 and one 11 months before getting out. I got them free at that age becouse of how they had not been raised. 8 month was scared of the dark and the 11 was scared of people. Takes a lot of work to fix what could had been prevented. And you have to fix it while trying to train them to hunt. Makes you burn day light.(waste time)

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:02 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

LETTING PUPS RUN LOOSE AND PLAY WITH OTHERS ARE MORE OF A HEADACHE WHEN YOU START TO HUNT THEM, BECAUSE ALL THEY WANT TO DO IS PLAY

this is what i was actually disagreeing with

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:32 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Heres my view of it.... Its a bad thing because too me the dog needs to know that when its time to be let go its time to go hunting. I mean if there aloud to run on occasion its ok but every day not good. How is the dog supposed to know when to hunt and when to play?

3. Girls
4. Chevrolet
5. Hearin them hounds treein' away.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:04 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

running loose is no problem as long as it is alone or with the right dogs. other pups or house dogs that are all about mauling each other is not good.face barking and all kinds of crap can get started 8)

Last edited by toe cutter on Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:33 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I know what you mean TC if you don't make a long post and explain everything it gets taken the wrong way or they pic it apart.
I have a BIG B&T pup that was left on a chain till it was 11 months. Nothing but play very people shy. The play thing is killing me becouse it is bigger than my other dogs. SO I have a 100 lb. ridgeback that lives by the same rule I do. Don't give no sh@#$ Don't take no sh@#$ He's not in the sh@#$ buisness. :twisted: He won't start nothing but he will end it in a hurry. As soon as the other dog backs up he will stop. SO the pup is fixing to calm down. Most fo it time I just put a dog like that with another that won't take it and leave them together. But the ridgeback is a house dog. So I will just put them together for a few hours in the cool of an evening.
Might be some real fireworks at my house for a little bit though. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:40 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

everything i do is directed toward the end result of being a coondog.the way i breed them and raise them and pre train them is geared toward them having the right mind set. 8)

Last edited by toe cutter on Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:57 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

the only thing i do different from you is i let mine in the back yard to play. and i have no problem with there hunting style, they have done it all there life and im not changing nothing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

This is something I've always agreed with and have practiced myself, and Wick says it should be done with pups 5-7 months old, my question is what do you do if that pup is running loose all night and happens to tree, either desired game or not, and stays treed like it should...how will it know that its done something correctly/incorrectly if you're not there to praise it or scold it otherwise...if it does this time after time, will a young dog get discouraged and not hunt anymore?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:38 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I let my dogs run in the backyard they know the difference. If a dog dont know the difference can't say I want to own it. I can see tcs point, but I think a little supervision can also teach a pup when its time to play and when its time to work.

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:46 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

delta nightlife wrote:
the only thing i do different from you is i let mine in the back yard to play. and i have no problem with there hunting style, they have done it all there life and i'm not changing nothing

I like your style!!!! Don't ever change it.

I back the American plott Association

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:19 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

If a young hound is confined in a large FENCED yard is nothing but good exercise and opportunity to be a puppy. Completely free...nope.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:58 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have 3 pup pens and most off the time I have 3 pups in each pen I put tennis and socker balls in there to play with I have cow bells hung in the tree limbs with ropes for the pups to pull on they play all the time when I take them to the woods they go hunting. there looking for something even if they are not old enough to no what there suppose to hunt. I beleave in letting pups be pups they change when the instinct kicks in.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:53 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

toe cutter wrote:
running loose is no problem as long as it is alone or with the right dogs. other pups or house dogs that are all about mauling each other is not good.face barking and all kinds of crap can get started 8)

Yep, I have a friend that antied up big money and bought a big named dog. Then he built a big coonpen and bred a lot of no acount females with good papers that ought to cross good. Then he let a pile of pups 'run loose " in the twenty acre confinement . Sometimes the pet tups would get to treeing but he was not there to encourage or discourage.

I Myself would like to be able to let a little pup run loose ; better than that, I would like to be able to let a "right dog "runloose and let the pup follow, but that is just me . but not pups training pups , that's nuts.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I let all my pups run loose when little have a pond behind the house about three hundread yards . when my pups start chaseing feral cats and go to the pond then I put them up useally about 10 wks old and only trun them out when im home do not want a lot of bad habites started.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:21 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

T Crump wrote:
I let all my pups run loose when little have a pond behind the house about three hundread yards . when my pups start chaseing feral cats and go to the pond then I put them up useally about 10 wks old and only trun them out when im home do not want a lot of bad habites started.

yes 10 weeks old pups are pups . I guess I should have made that clearer.