CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:47 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

jus got a 1yr old B&T... i used to keep him on da chain but he broke so now i let him jus roam in the backyard. we gota lil terrior back there to an he plays around with him quite a bit. my terrior has toys back der an my b&t plays wit dem an tears em up...im jus wonderin if all dis playin an stuff going to hurt him wen its time to start hutnin him. i havnt been huntn him yet becuz im getting my car fixd...shuld i put him back on da chain

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:51 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

lord no it wont hurt him to play, mine is 8,3, and 1 and they all still play in the back yard never hurts them and when i take them hunting its all business

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:11 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Good to get them started fast BUT bad down the road. You will spend more time trash breaking than you save getting them started. How confuseing would it be to you to hunt all kinds of things. Then whooped for hunting every thing but coon. I would rather trash break first then encourage the coon thing. A lot of people let them run though. I think it just takes less patience my way. I hae non for a trashy dog.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:41 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

so letting him run loose in the back yard will cause him to run trash...he jus plays around with my othr dog das about it

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:46 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i cant say for sure if running around your yard with another dog is a good thing.

but i feel there is nothing wrong with letting a young hound roam free and hunt freely as long as their is plenty of ground and its safe. if a dog has the traits in it there hunting instinct will be brought out running free a lot more than a guy thinks. i could be wrong but would rather have a dog hunting on there own than shocking them off everthing under the sun and then expecting them to hunt coon or whatever. dogs are smarter than we give em credit for. LOL. patience is the name of the game. LOL. good luck with your dog. :D by the way nothing wrong with a gamey dog in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:50 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My 3 hounds all roam free in the backyard if I'm home. They are 11 months, 4, and 6. They play with the house dog mutt alot. With the 11 month old, it actually gave me a chance to do some trash-breaking before formal training. She'd start sniffing out a deer or rabbit and I'd let her know that wasn't okay. She still trees the occaisonal squirrel, but just the other night a baby rabbit ran past her about 40-feet away and she didn't give it no mind.

All 3 actually seem to know their boundary is the yard, too. The 11 month off wanders into the woods now and then around the house, but for the most part they stay in the yard. It gets them some exercise on a daily basis and probably gives them a chance to socialize and be good around other dogs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:56 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

NO I wouldn't consider running loose in the yard running loose. That woud be good for them. I was talking about running loose unsupervised in the woods. If you are there to tell them to leave a possom or skunk alone. Then that is a good thing.
BUT just letting them run the woods by themselves to run possom or what ever they want to in my opinion cost you more trouble than it is worth. Do they learn to track? YES Do they pick up bad habbits? YES Do you have to break them of all the bad habits while you are trying to put good positive experience on them while training them to ONLY run coon. HECK YES----Does that make things more confusing for them? YES
So what do you save? Time walking in the woods WITH THEM. So just way the proses and conses and do what is best for you.
By the way you don't have to shock them for molesting off game. You can throw a rock at them,screem, catch them and beat them or what ever BUT the one that says there doesn't has to be any punishment------------------------- Well just go home with them and see if you want around there kids very long. There dogs will be the same way. The older they are before SOME ONE has to break them of there BAD HABBITS the harder it is on the child or pup. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:09 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

By the way the blue dog in my sig. every hunter that seen him when I got him told me to shoot him. He would never be any good. He ran two and had the meat both times last night by himself. When I got him at 8 months old he was scared to death standing by my side in the dark. You don't train as many dogs as I have with out haveing a lot of PATIENCE. I just hate to work on things I know could had been avoided. I have trained enough dogs to know what is going to cost me time down the road.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:14 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

its just my personal opinion but I think if a dog gets the pup out of him it helps to pen or chain them...when they come off that chain or out of that kennel and you got your wheat head a-burnin they know ol' dad's ready to put one up a tree..let em be a pup for a lil while and then after play times over snap a leash on him and start huntin the guts out of that ol' dog and make a real hound out of him...there is a certain time when I say your pup days are over to them and separate them from the play dogs if you will...like dawg said it keeps a clear head and leaves them no room for guessin' what their job is...if you let your dog mess around alot I think it takes some of the drive out of them for awhile..it aint gonna ruin your dog or nothin prolly but your gonna see the dog out around the truck playin in steady of in the timber for a lil while longer....but if its your dog train it how ya wanna..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:17 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

8)

Last edited by toe cutter on Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:05 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
LETTING PUPS RUN LOOSE AND PLAY WITH OTHERS ARE MORE OF A HEADACHE WHEN YOU START TO HUNT THEM, BECAUSE ALL THEY WANT TO DO IS PLAY. LETTING A PUP RUN THE YARD WITH OLDER MATURE DOGS THAT WONT PLAY WITH THEM AS MUCH AS ANOTHER PUP,HOUSE DOG OR YOUNG DOG WILL, THE PUP WILL LOSE THE PUPPINESS FASTER. PUPS LEFT TO RUN AND CONSTANTLY PLAY WITH OTHER DOGS GET SO THEY WILL TRY AND ROUGH HOUSE AND PLAY ALL THE TIME WHEN YOU TRY AND START THEM. IT JUST TAKES LONGER FOR THE PUP TO MATURE ENOUGH TO TRAIN IT.
JUST FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN OVER THE YEARS MESSIN WITH PUPS.

im just gonna have to disagree with that statement and i am just goin by my dogs all three of them will be in the back yard ripping and running playing all day long, have been all there life bell is 8 and she gets out there and plays with them doc is 3 and does the same thing sky is a little over a year adn she is still young and she gets out and plays well when i take them to the woods there is no playing they get right down to business and hunts up a coon. never ever had a problem with any of mine wanting to play after i turn them loose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:20 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My experience has been close to Delta Nightlife's. I haven't fooled with the amount of pups that some have on here, and not all have been allowed loose in the yard for periods of time for various reasons.

I haven't noticed a discernable difference between a pup being loose and one penned all the time when it comes to wanting to play in the woods. The young dogs seem to want to at some point, and the mature ones seem to know they are there to hunt.

My "pup" now is an 11-month old gyp. Three months ago she went out with older dogs for the first time and didn't drive too hard. At this time she also wasn't much interested in a caged coon.

Took her again a month ago after she was starting to put some things together and there was no problem. She went hunting.

I really think- as with most things- that you have to watch the dogs that YOU have and how they react to certain situations. Dogs have varying personalities to a degree, and react differently to different conditions.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:57 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I would agree with Toe Cutter. Letting them run with an older dog that will make them leave them alone after a while will teach them there is a time for play and a time for work and make them mature faster.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:09 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i must have read the post wrong,i thought he said a pup and a playful house dog. i did'nt see the part about 3 yr olds,5 and 8 yr olds running loose in the yard.
my opinons are just that,opinons.

Last edited by toe cutter on Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:48 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

delta nightlife wrote:
toe cutter wrote:
LETTING A PUP RUN THE YARD WITH OLDER MATURE DOGS THAT WONT PLAY WITH THEM AS MUCH AS ANOTHER PUP,HOUSE DOG OR YOUNG DOG WILL, THE PUP WILL LOSE THE PUPPINESS FASTER.

im just gonna have to disagree with that statement and i am just goin by my dogs all three of them will be in the back yard ripping and running playing all day long, have been all there life bell is 8 and she gets out there and plays with them doc is 3 and does the same thing sky is a little over a year adn she is still young and she gets out and plays well when i take them to the woods there is no playing they get right down to business and hunts up a coon. never ever had a problem with any of mine wanting to play after i turn them loose

Last edited by toe cutter on Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.