CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Sitting treed?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:00 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

My dog is doing well!Here it comes but he sits to tree he's baying but he is sitting down till I get to the tree,then up he goes on the tree.He's a little under 2 just has started this in the past 4 or 5 months,but he has the coon which is what we want.Would this be a problem in a Hunt?

Heath Ferguson
706-568-4658
706-527-7886

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Sitting treed?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:56 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

no problem at all. i have had a couple dogs that sat on their butt and treed. i liked them alot.i got one now that sits when he trees alot of the time.he tree barks around 130 barks a minute.sits at the base of the tree, looks straight up the tree and never looks down. i believe it is a bred in style and if you check you will find one of the parents or grand parents did it the same way.sit down tree dog, aint leavin.no climbin,no jumpin,no chewin,no dancin,no face barkin.

everyone likes the stand on the tree treedogs. myself,i don't think there is any nicer of a no problem tree dog then one thats sits on its butt when treed.dogs like that don't come along everyday.........TC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:23 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
everyone likes the stand on the tree treedogs. myself,i don't think there is any nicer of a no problem tree dog then one thats sits on its butt when treed.dogs like that don't come along everyday.........TC

DITTO

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:06 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

If I could pick the way I wanted my dogs to tree.Id want them to sit back off the tree after they start treeing.It just keeps them out of trouble and lets other dogs have the tree..They make better pup trainers also.....

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:58 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

my male dog doc is like this, he very seldom gets up on the tree which i dont care as long as he is showing which tree the coon is in , he usally just stands back about 3 to 5 foot from the tree and trees or he sits down and does it i like that, now on the other hand my female 8 yrs. old she likes to run up the tree adn she tries to chew it down lol now the pup i got out of both of them does both she 1 yr. old will run up the tree for a min or 2 and then she will just stand back you can see mama and daddy in the pup

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:25 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

My 5yo black dog does this. He'll sit down and tree good til I get there....and he'll continue to tree bark as long as I'm shining the tree or walking around the tree. But if I stop walking/shining and start messing with the light, my gun....or heck even tie'n my boot.....he'll stand up and watch me, waiting for me to shoot. As soon as I start shining or moving around the tree he'll sit down and start into barking again. Personally I love this trait in a dog.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:11 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I love a sit down tree dog. Very nice!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:21 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I like this trait myself, keeps 'em out of trouble. We hunt with a walker that will climb, chewon vines and the such. He's scared us a few times climbing up a slanted tree then having to jump out because he cain't climb back down. I'm not a compitition hunter so I don't know if it'll cause any trouble there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:26 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

whisper wrote:
I like this trait myself, keeps 'em out of trouble. We hunt with a walker that will climb, chewon vines and the such. He's scared us a few times climbing up a slanted tree then having to jump out because he cain't climb back down. I'm not a compitition hunter so I don't know if it'll cause any trouble there.
its a very helpless feeling to have your dog 20 feet up wedged in a crotch of a tree you can't climb..i've seen em higher then that,seen em on the same limb as the coon.i had one that was bad at it,and he could climb better then any other dog i've seen.i kept his toe nails cut down short,with a few cut short enough to be on the edge of making it sore.slowed him down alot....with climbing dogs, nite hunts are not a good idea.it don't matter if he will fight,but if the dog he lands on will.and don't be surprised if the right cast of guys leaves you standing there with your dog in the tree by yourself.if you think they won't your wrong.

if your dog climbs and is stranded in the tree, it is a good idea to have tree climber boot spikes and some rope in your truck.do not shine your light in the dogs eyes.it blinds them and they will fall.be very carefull if you do climb up to get him.a belly collar with a connection to the collar is a good idea to already have made up to lower him,kinda like a harness made for him.i have to say that a dog that climbs dangerously high into a tree or goes up inside tiles and culvert pipes (some seem to do it more then others) is not worth the worry and trouble, no matter how good it can tree a coon.sooner or later if he climbs up high in trees it will kill him if your lucky,if your not,it will just cripple him for life......................TC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:29 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Thanks everybody!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:24 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The first thing i would do is pet him on top of the head when i get to the tree then tie him up you dont know what i would give if all my dogs would sit on there butts and tree they stay out of trouble that way i know how pretty it is to see a hound standing on the tree slobering at the mouth but it can cause trouble just think 4 dog cast all of them get on the wood tree dogs all trying to get position and yours siting on its butt out of the way let em push yours isnt going to get in trouble that way

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:36 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

just like everyone else has said, the sit back dogs will stay out of trouble. the only good thing about the stand on the wood dogs is they make a little bit better pic with the camera :lol:

timber
starbaby

http://www.myspace.com/bulletsbuddy
GOING DEEP FOR THE MEAT

Dryswamp Kennels
"PR" Dryswamp All Jacked Up
"PR" Dryswamp Nocturnal Star Baby
"PR" Dryswamp Bawls Out Rowdy (RIP)
"PR" Dryswamp Cuttin' Timber
"PR" Dryswamp Brush Bustin' Hemi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:43 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Ya'll are sure hit the head on the nail!Went last night with 2 new fellas well to shortin the story I was the new guy and we had a tree fight both said " IF THAT'S YOUR DOG WE CAN'T HUNT WITH YOU" we got to the tree guess what?My (PLOTT)SHADOW was back about 5 yards doin his thing(like a good ol boy) their dogs was all cut-up in the face,so I grabbed my dog told them "I can't hunt with yall with fighter's like that(both Walkers)and walked back to the truck and praised my dog the whole way to McDonalds for a hamburger treat for him.HAHAHAHAHA.Didn't look to see if there was a coon it didn't matter.I got a call on the way home with both guys apoligizing but I told them the shoe is on the other foot and I am not hunting with them again they could of handled it better than that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I think you couldnt ask for anything better than a dog that will sit back and tree, on Comp hunts, I think it is a great thing. I have a 10 month old pup that does the same thing. This is the first dog that I have had that does this and I love it. Nothing wrong with it at all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:44 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

my dog doesnt sit but he does come off the tree about 20 yards to meet me and i say get back on that tree and he is back at it full tilt.

nothin' fancy kennel co.

loudonville high school- class of 2011