CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: SEPERATING PUPS
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have two litter mate pups that will be 8 weeks old this sat. I have been keeping them in the same kennel together. Iwas wondering when should i start keeping them in seperate kennels.They seem to be pretty independent when out in the yard. thanks for any help on this ?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: SEPERATING PUPS
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:06 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

alot of bad habits can start with leaving them together. face barking,dominants, ect. i woud seperate them..................TC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:58 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i agree with toe cutter that will happen with a lot of dogs, but not all. my best two dogs have been together since the younger one was born. i also have my eight month old pup kenneled with a friends dog and they get along great. i have seen what tc talks about though especially with food with other dogs. the main reason i keep em together is because it saves space and they stay nice and warm this time of year. toe cutter has seen a lot more than i have though and percentage wise he is probably right.

good luck with the pups.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

They both eat out of the same dish at the same time and drink with no growling of any kind. they get along really well together. besides a little playfull rough housing that can be expected from two pups playing. But thanks for the advice. I will try and get another kennel and go ahead and seperate them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

question would you seperate them all the time cause the wife wants them inside and outside dogs i have two male walkers litter mates and they are sterting to get into tiffes they are not on chains they have free run of the back yard during the day and at night in the house the one takes stuff from the other and that is starting an argument what should i do i am real green first tree hounds dont mean to step on your post mowalker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:20 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

it has always been with littermates or pups of the same age.
i have not had any problems with dogs of significant age differances having any problem.
where i have seen problems is when 2 or more pups are left to live together for too long after they start to mature into dogs......TC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:41 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Its best to separate all pups as soon as possible.A must before 12 weeks old...It just makes most dogs better in the long run...Ive seen to many dogs kept together as pups that end up hating each other.Sooner or later all dogs will get into it.Or fight if they are kept in the same kennel.Even next to each other they can start to face bark...Thats why I like ply wood dividers between kennels.Its just a matter of when they will do it.Chances are you wont be there most of the time when they do ...A friend of mine had 2 female littermates together.They were 7-8 yr old never heard a growl out of either one.One day he came home.One was dead and the other died on the way to the vet..They got into a big fight and killed each other....The way I look at it.Why take chances if you dont have toooo..........If I look at pups someone has forsale. AND They are r 12 weeks old or older.And they still have them together.I wont buy one.Just becasue of what I seen in pups like that in the past....But thats just me..........LOL......

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for all the help. I have seperated my pups. My next ? is when i let them out to run should i let them out one at a time or is it ok to let em out together and play?Remember their just 8 weeks old

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:01 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i let mine run around and play. i hunt only one at a time when i start training them. but there is nothing wrong with letting them out together in the yard or for walks in the woods when they are puppies. the problems happen mostly just when kenneled together as they get older.................TC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks toe cutter you have been a big help as i have never had litter mates before and wasnt sure how to go about it. If you or anyone else has any suggestions i will glady listen. THANKS AGAIN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:07 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I just got this house I live in this fall. I built a kennel But not the way I want it . Before it got cold and snowed I kept one dog in the kennel one dog on a chain and our lab ran free. Since it has got cold and snowed I have them all together and they seem to do good. They are not litter mates or the same breed , do you think I am making a mistake with having them together. Ages are 7 month old black and tan, 6 month old lab, 1 and a half year old bluetick. The younger two are males and the bluetick is a fixed female. This summer I am going to seperate kennels and have inside houses in a lean to garage attached to my garage. I will figure out a way to change it if there is a chance of making any of them mean. Feeding time they are all used to where they get fed in the kennel and dont mind sharing water. I am not used to a kennel with more than one dog and originally thought it would make them all get along and help with them staying warm ,hope I am not making a big mistake here.Please let me know if this sounds like trouble down the road for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:44 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I would not keep them together.............If at all possible........

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:55 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I have always kept my dogs sperate except when I get a new pup I will put it in with my Walker female, Honey, for a while because she loves puppies and will mama anything. My male Walker, Copper, was raised in a kennel with my ex boyfriends hounds. He is not an ill hound except when time to eat and then he doesnt want another dog around him. He is a very independent hunter, has been since a pup, and just really didnt seem to care if he had the company of other hounds or not. He was raised with a female Walker close to his own age and we trained them up together and he was no more bonded to her than any other dog he met at a competition hunt or show. He was just kinda indifferent. Well, when we broke up I moved Honey and Copper to my home together and kept them in a 10x10 kennel together for a while. Now they will eat out of the same bowl, sleep in the same house (leaving the other one empty), will walk on a coupler lead together, lick blood off each other after a kill, and Honey is the only dog Copper will tree with. They dont even growl over scraps, wont take anything from each other, and both think they can fit right in my lap. I have never seen anything like it. They are seperate at the moment, Copper on a runner cable for exercise, but when you put them back together its like they have never missed a day. They lick each others face through the fence now !

RBIMBS CCH CH PR' Warrior River Medusa
CCH GRCH AKC CCH PR' Kayla's Lil Bit of Honey
UWP CCH GRCH PR' Warrior River Karma N Effect
UWP CH Warrior River's Gap Creek Piper
CH Cross Check's Warrior River Rimfire

~Gone But Always In My Heart~
CH AKC CCH PR' Kayla's Copperhead Baby Boy
GRCH PR' K&Z's She's Krazy Hammered
SHR CH North River Big Jake, JH
http://www.warriorriverkennels.com

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:30 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I have allways kept all my dogs in a yard together. Most have been inside out side dogs. My hounds have allways been out side dogs though. I like them to be able to handle the weather. I am at the house all day though. So if mine get in fights I stop it and remind them that is not allowed. I think it keeps down trouble at the tree. I feed them a few feet apart. If I have a new one I will stay with them while they eat for a while. To make sure I don't have a problem.
I know a lot of hunters dream of there dog being a great stud dog some day. But if they would casterate the dogs they don't plan on breeding and the agressive ones. It would probubley soulve some of the problems.
I think keeping them in a pack all the time makes them work as a pack in the woods better. Some people doesn't like that. They want there dog to be more independant. I want all mine to be able to work by themselves but to work together well when hunted together. For compition it is better if they are more independant. But if you hunt by your self you don't want them split up so much. Or I don't.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:52 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

the original post :?: was on raising pups together ,. pups CLOSE to the SAME AGE, being pack animals, WILL make their pecking order and dominace over each other when left together too long. casturating a dog will NOT STOP it or PREVENT it from being aggressive.it is not a testosterone issue,it is a mental attitude bred in fault in a dogs temperment.a dog being independant is NOT made, it is BRED into a dog.a dog is BORN independant,.hunting it alone may bring its independant trait out more,but it has to have the trait bred into it to start with.my 7 hounds run together daily in an open run, ages 6 months to 11 years old.but when hunted in any combo of two.they will be split treed most of the time.because i bred them with the trait to be independant.. if it has the independant breeding traits, the dog will be independant no matter what.just like a mee too dog that is bred to be a follower,you will not make it independant.i'm sure with enough training YOU can alter some breeding traits to make it do things that are unnatural for its instincts,,having the vast experiance and seminar training you have dawg.,but for the rest of us, i think it is much easier to breed a coonhound and raise it correctly to have and show its natural bred in instincts we desire to start with,.....................TC