CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: SEPERATING PUPS
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:36 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Well casturating does stop agression over sexual things like bitchs in heat. It takes a lot of tension off a dog if there is one any were around. There for he isn't a nervous wreck all day. Witch helps his attude in the woods that night. And if there is a bitch comeing in heat out in the woods the cut males won't be the ones fighting over her. Unless they were cut to late or used for breeding before they got cut.

You can change there dominance by takeing them out of the litter at 4-5 weaks too. But it can be altered by what happens in it's life.
WELL IF YOU GET ABOUT ONE MORE GENERATION OF YOUR DOGS GOING. WE WON'T HAVE TO BE THERE OR NEVER SHOW THEM WHAT WE WANT THEM TO HUNT. WE CAN JUST BUY A PUP,TAKE IT TO THE WOODS AND LET IT GO. :lol:

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:51 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i bred the same line for 6 generations now, and yes , i have seen some let run loose that made real coondogs without any help from a trainer.if i could i would let them all run loose and keep the ones that start treeing on their own. some people believe it is the only way to do it.i've seen many dogs from many differant strains then mine do it like that for years in all colors of dogs...................its a natural bred in instinct to tree.they dont need to be taught how to do it.most dogs fight on the tree because they are possesive , not because they are aroused by the smell of wood.. :lol: ..............TC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:19 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I bought 2 littermates out of Bullet II. I kept one and the other I sold. The guy that bought it let it run free. I trained mine and kept it clean in the process.(never got away with trash)becouse I was there. The night I sold mine he was about a year and a half old. The guy that came to buy him brought the same litter mate that I had sold. He was trashy and needed a lot of work that could had prevented if handeled better. A kid gets bad habbits if left to run a muck and so does dogs. Were you save a little time on home work. You cost yourself a lot of problems in the woods. It is a lot easier to train at home. Than it is to problem solve in the woods. Most problems I have seen on here could have been prevented with a good foundation of training at home.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:22 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

again , the breeding in a coonhound has alot to do with trash running. i have seen many strains of hounds that tend to be trashy more then others.i have seen some that never needed trash breaking on so much as a grinner. todays walker dogs are not nearly the deer runners of the past. why? because of better breeding.better treeing traits.
you have to understand, pups out of a litter do not each get the same mixture of genes from their common sire and dam.therefore the same exact training on two dogs from the same litter do not produce the same results.
well bred hounds with the proper training have the best chance to make it,but all will be differant.and not all will make the cut.a well bred hound with no training will tree a coon better then a poorly bred hound with years of training ever will.
it takes both breeding and training to make a good coondog, better breeding takes less training.
if a hound does not have the breeding to give it the right tools to make a coondog, no amount of training good or bad will give it the tools it needs to be a hound that can run and tree a coon .
as far as kids , i know of men that grew up with no family support and ran wild as kids and have never been in trouble and are good people with jobs and families. i also know men that were raised in loving homes with family and church with all the foundation training and everything they are supposed to have as children that are in prison and pshyco wards now.i worked in both for 27 years. :roll: the comparison of hounds and kids only goes so far.
i'm not saying you are wrong on the training aspect of a hound at all,or the breeding of one,our veiws are just differant on how to do what and what can and cant be changed for the type of hound each of us wants in the end ,which are also differant.
i think debate is good ,win or lose,right or wrong,it is for the rest to decide on which they think makes sense to them and choose to follow what advice. heck ,if i was them, i would listen to LCK over me or you.. :roll: ..................TC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:58 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

[
i think debate is good ,win or lose,right or wrong,it is for the rest to decide on which they think makes sense to them and choose to follow what advice. heck ,if i was them, i would listen to LCK over me or you.. :roll: ..................TC[/quote]

I think if anyone stays in dogs long enough and remembers all this crap. They will use a little from all of us. But I still say the dogs being less trashy isn't in the breeding. I think it is more people geting out in the day time were they can see what is going on. They can bump them with a collar for getting to close to a skunk as a pup and never have to correct them again. Might make them look like a natural. I agree you can breed them to make them more gamey. But makeing them come out of the womb knowing what game to hunt. That is stretching it further than I could. All it takes is nose, good nerve and energy to make one gamey.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:34 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I don't know much about hounds yet but i can tell anyone for sure to seperate their dogs. Doesn't matter how long they get along together something can always go wrong. Trust me on this one, i kept my dogs, 3 females in a large pen together and had an incident this weekend that resulted in the removal of all dogs from the program. Just food for thought. Listen when they say don't pen them up together.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:11 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Sorry Rifelman but just becouse you had a bad experiance with it doesn't mean it should never be done. There are yards and pens all over the country with more than one dog in them and people that has done it like that longer than we have been alive.
First thing all the dogs have to know you are the leader of the pack and they are not allowed to fight among them selves. I have a VERRY possessive male beagle. I casterated him to minamize problems with him. So I don't have the possessive over a bitch thing. BUT beding, food ,attention and every thing else he will get verry aggressive over if he is allowed. Or did when he was young. He would run my Ridegback off of his own food. After he thought he was going to die over it one day that crap stoped.
Most problems I have see in running dogs together could of been predicted and prevented. If they haven't been fixed (male or female) they need to be seperated when there is a bitch in heat around. And around can be a half a mile or more if she is up wind and the males have been used for breeding.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hopefully this weekend i will be getting 2 (male and female) littermate redbone pups! I have read all of these posts about it is best to keep them seperate but i would think that if they were littermate male and female that the male would want to show protection over the female and be a gentleman and not want to fight her or show any kind of meanness towards her! I want my dogs to have a close brother-sister relationship but i would think seperating them would keep that from happening! What should i do??? :? Thanks, Wesley

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Have tried posting ?'s on other topics but no comebacks yet! Please give me your 2 cents! Hopefully this weekend i will be getting 2 (male and female) littermate redbone pups! I have read all of these posts about it is best to keep them seperate but i would think that if they were littermate male and female that the male would want to show protection over the female and be a gentleman and not want to fight her or show any kind of meanness towards her! I want my dogs to have a close relationship but i would think seperating them would keep that from happening! What should i do??? :? Thanks, Wesley

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:31 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

take them back and get 2 minature poodle's LOL would separate there gonna fight over food and other things most likely

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:56 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Placing human expectations, morales and values on dogs is a recipe for certain disaster. They are DOGS. They would appreciate it very much if you respected them for what they are and treated them accordingly.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:49 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Walker Bottoms wrote:
Have tried posting ?'s on other topics but no comebacks yet! Please give me your 2 cents! Hopefully this weekend i will be getting 2 (male and female) littermate redbone pups! I have read all of these posts about it is best to keep them seperate but i would think that if they were littermate male and female that the male would want to show protection over the female and be a gentleman and not want to fight her or show any kind of meanness towards her! I want my dogs to have a close relationship but i would think seperating them would keep that from happening! What should i do??? :? Thanks, Wesley

:lol: Do you not have a brother or sister? I do and we fought. We did when mom was home BUT when dad was home. NO WAY he was the pack leader and lead he did. He would bust your butt for it every time. SO you didn't do it. LCK is right if you don't think of them as pack animals you are in for a world of sh^((&&_&&^^. You can keep them in a yard together I put a gyp in with my male over the weak end. I stayed and watched close, showed them who was leader and no problems. BUT they are right out side my window. I keep controll.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:31 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Sooner or later pups will fight if keept together.It can ruin a pup really quick.It only takes once for some dogs to be ruined.You cant be with them 24 hours a day...Ive known dogs keept together for years.Then one day they hate each other and cant even be hunted together again...So why even take a chance if you dont have to.......

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:58 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Chet McCreary wrote:
Sooner or later pups will fight if keept together.It can ruin a pup really quick.It only takes once for some dogs to be ruined.You cant be with them 24 hours a day...Ive known dogs keept together for years.Then one day they hate each other and cant even be hunted together again...So why even take a chance if you dont have to.......

Amen.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:27 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

This is true. If you keep 2 dogs together sooner or latter they will fight. But if a dog never doe's it in front of you then you will never be able to correct it and show it that fighting is not an acceptable behavior. So when they get to a tree with a growley dog and your not there ???????????????

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next