CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:52 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I got a 16 month old Walker Female...

I have just started working with her hard the last 3 weeks or so, due to her being kinda immature...

Here is the situation, I hunt with 2 different guys, both have very friendly, very broke older coon dogs...Neither have dogs that are in the least bit ill...

She seems to go and hunt a little better with one of the dogs than she does with the other, but has maybe only been turned out 10 times total...She isn't treeing any at all, but will open on track pretty regularly, then return to me most times when they tree...Not sure what to do about the treeing thing, as she wasn't mine when she was a pup so I didn't get to tree her on drags and what not...

My question is, should I continue to drop her with multiple older dogs, or just the same dog, over and over and over???

We raised cotton and corn, a little cane and kids...
You either lived on a farm, or wished you did...
And Jesus always walked close by our sides...
WHERE I GREW UP, WE RODE IN TRUCKS
Luke Bryan- My new favorite song

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:57 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Keep hunting her with both dogs.What worrys me is shes not treeing..Is she checking trees at all????Are you letting her get the coon even if shes not treed???..If so quit that and chain her back at each tree until she starts treeing....I believe any dog can learn how to run a track open or silent.Some are just better than others..Treeing is the hard part.That comes natural to most good dogs......Some you have to work with a little..Many show no interest at all in treeing.......After shes treeing hunt her alone as much as possible......Thats what it takes to make them really good independant dogs.....That needs no help at all....

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:10 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

She shows no interest at all in treein...she loves to track with the other dogs though, and sometimes alone....

But like I said, I have only been workin with her at all a few weeks, so I'm wondering how to get the interest in her to tree...

I have not let her get any coons, there haven't been many as they have been mostly dens and what-not...

Oh, and yes I have seen her in the light, checkin trees with her nose, several times in the last week or so...But man she is not interested in what the other dogs are doin on the tree at all...She is PR-All Grand out of Rat Attack and Sacket Jr lines, so I know it's in her, I'm just a rookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:18 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

ever took her alone? How does she act over a coon?

'PR' TERMITE'S ROWDY
'PR' JOLLIE'S BUCK BRUSH AUGGIE

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:34 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

OK, If a dog checks up and down a tree they are treemined...What you need now is to figure out how to turn her on.Its like a switch a dog has in them.Once you turn it on they take right off..I like to keep lited dog collars on all my dogs.That way I can see what they are doing.I really like them on young dogs..So I can see if they are hunting and where they are.Like if they are with the other dogs.Or just out of the way looking at you from 50 ft away..((A trick)) that you can do is take a dead coon.Take it into a snall woods and rub it on all sides of a tree up as high as you can.You want all the scent going up.NONE on the ground.Place the coon up as high as possible Like on a long rope over a high limb.Tie the rope to another tree so you can lower it down if she shows little interest..That can get most dogs treeing.Just let her loose and follow her in the woods until she finds the tree.If she trees on her own chain her to it.Let her tree maybe 5 min then shoot your gun and let the coon fall out of the tree..She wont know it was aleady dead....Let her think about that a day or two or a few days then do it again.NO more than 2-3 times if shes treeing...All your doing is making it as easy as possible for her to tree...Just make sure the coon is as fresh as possible

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:01 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

varowdywalker wrote:
ever took her alone? How does she act over a coon?

Yes I try to take her alone at least once a week, just to listen to the owls hoot...haha
She goes and stays gone sometimes for 10 minutes, not sure what she's doin, but I consider it good that she isn't on top of me...And whenever I do see her in the light she is smellin around hunting, not just playing...

She has only seen 3 coons in her life...

Coon #1....
10 months old, let her and an old dog find a coon in a cage, old dog went absolutely crazy, she got in and barked with old dog pretty good, put her up....

Coon #2....
3 weeks ago, 15 months old... Let her find caged coon in a feild on her own...She smelled it and started running circles around the cage whining and yipping a bit, I got to her and fired her up on it some patting her and telling her to talk to it and what not...Here is the deal though, I wouldn't have considered her 100% fired up, just a little excited, but I tied her back and released the coon in the big field, and when she saw it running away she almost broke her neck trying to get to it. I turned her right behind it and she barked every breath behind it until it treed then she was lost, she just wondered around trying to find the track...She couldn't figure out that it went up the tree, she did smell up the tree a couple of times, so I chained her to it, and tried to pat her up it, and she checked it out but couldn't convince herself it could climb a tree...
Coon #3
3 days after Coon #2
Cut her for the third night in a row 1 on 1 with 5 year old Walker that has probably had 100 coons treed in the last 3 years, no junk at all...She went with him to start with, came back in about 2 minutes, He struck, she ran to him like a bullet and opened tracking with him in about 15 seconds, and was open more than him on the track...But when he rolled over treed, she shut up, then I seen her comming in on the way to the tree, she was all excited and led us to the tree... she was smelling around the tree when we got there, but she lost interest in the tree real fast, I ties her at it anyway and petted the male dog and told him what a good job he had done and everything, and let her just watch me....They shot the coon, and it walked down the tree and hit the ground running, she went nuts, Everyone was yelling don't turn that pup loose, but she was nuts, and she is a grown up, so I let her loose...She was first to find the coon on the ground, and she just mostly bayed, while the old dog killed it...Once the coon was dead, she was over it completely...

Other things that have happened the last two weeks are:
*Couple of 200 yard deer chases, she has came off of on her own
*One Possum she struck and trailed completely on her own, about 200 yards, killed on bay by another dog before I got there...
*Couple of other times she trailed with the other dog she was with...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:20 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i do the same thing chet said with the freash dead coon, but after the first couple, i will do the same thing but i will leave a coon hanging and pull the dog off and lead them away so they know its still up the tree.i want the memory of the coon up in the tree stuck in their head.

i try to never let a young dog run a coon away from a tree. you want to get it through their head the tree is the end of the dance.

i would not expect any dog to show me much on the tree after only 3 coon in her life. it takes many more trips to the woods,trees and coon to get started with almost all dogs.

i hunt my young dogs only 1 on 1,the young dog with only one dog at a time,which ever they show the best actions with,and the best dog that trees coon.and i keep it with that dog. once they are starting to come on i will expose them to other GOOD dogs.keep her with the best company you can, they will learn faults from other dogs very fast.....chasing deer,....opossums,.....i have started and trained dogs that never ran trash their whole life. some was breeding, but alot of it was because they were started and trained with solid trash broke dogs from the get go.

i single them out as soon as i see they can run a track and tree some.........TC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:16 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

One thing I try to do with a young dog.Is to try and quit each night on a good thing.Like if she trees if it the first dump.Id quit hunting her and take her home.Then wait a few days before you hunt her again...It really seams to help a young dog if you do that............This dog just needs hunted.Work with her on the trees some..Thats all she needs..Plus only hunt her with good dogs.That will really help her..Never hunt a dog with a dog that has faults that you dont want your pup to have...

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:08 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Thanks fellas....

I was just worried about the lack of interest at the tree...So I will practice with her on treeing...

She is in heat as of last night, so I guess she will get a lay up, hopefully she will come out lookin good...She prolly needs it as much as I have showed het the last couple weeks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:10 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Some times a lay off can really help a dog....

Profile  WWW