CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:25 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

you do not have to have a broke dog to train a pup ,but it cuts the work you have to do down alot. once i get one started with a broke dog i single them out and they have to do it alone. just like the dog trainer without the experiance of someone who has done it,a pup like the trainer is prone to make mistakes and never learn the way it is supposed to happen.i've seen alot of dogs and people that have no clue as to what a real coon dog is supposed to do.i watched in amazement when one guy went running after his dog whooping and hollaring after it struck.i have no idea what his dog was running,but i know he was running his dog. the only coon hunting he had seen was billy on where the red fern grows.like coonscry said, just because a dog is older does not make it a pup trainer. i start my pups with the best dog i have and thats all i hunt it with,my dog,not my buddies ,not no ones but mine.a dog needs to be singled out at the right time and i'll get some flack on this one but, most mee too dogs are bred to be like that or left way to long with another dog before they are singled out......................TC

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:39 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am not a professional dog trainer, but I love the satisfaction of training my own hounds. I see a lot of classified ads where people are looking for a pup trainer. I've asked for a good bit of advice on training and I appreciate each and every response. In all the advice I've received, I've never had anyone tell me I need to buy a pup trainer to train my hound, yet there are people everywhere looking to buy and sell pup trainers.Again, I have a Cameron pup (now 10 months old) that I've raised since he was 8 weeks old. He has more drive and desire than any dog I've ever owned. He will tree his own coon, but still tends to run deer if he can't find a coon. That is a definite flaw, and not acceptable to me. My dog has had his share of electric and whipping for running deer. i still dont trust him. he no longer barks at deer when he sees them, or at least when he's close to me and he sees them. But he does whine and gets anxious when he sees or smells deer. The other night he slipped his collar and chased a deer about 50yards without barking.....he came back to me when i called him off. I did not punish him since he came when he was called.

I have several questions:

what are the benefits of a pup trainer?

Would my dog be less likely to run trash if he was hunted with a straight dog? He has never been hunted with another dog.

And my last question for now, do you think it is still possible ( if i continue to hunt him and train him with the TriTronics Trash-breaker) that this dog can be completely broke and trusted not to run deer?

Looking at his training since the beginning, he is making progress, but I'm not experienced enough to judge the level of his progress. I have to keep in mind he was bred to run lions and I want him to run coon. One breeder of this line told me "Mr. Morris, these dogs will chase anything that runs up a tree". I was willing to accept that, but deer don't run up trees! LOL

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:55 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

the benifit to a pup trainer is having the dog expose the pup to coon insted of you doing it. if it is a good dog you are using to train with that gets in there and finds a coon fairly fast it should keep the pups mind on coon and not everything else in the woods it can find to run if given enough idle time to dink around alone with no knowledge of what is suppose to be after.
the drawback is when you do single the young dog to do it alone it will still be at the first stage starting level of trailing tracks alone and going hunting alone.

the only thing a straight dog may do by hunting him with one is keep your dogs mind on coon. but if it can't find a coon and your dog finds a deer and wants to get after a deer it will with or without another dog.

and yes, sooner or later you will slow the dog down enough on deer with the shocker and break him if you know how to use the collar correctly.and hit on the method that breaks that dog.

different people have different methods that work just as well as the other on some dogs and wont work on other dogs.. myself i would not fry the dog off the track. all they know is they got fried and stop, i dont know if they relize why, but just that they got fried... i would just keep bumping him on a medium setting that he does'nt like but does'nt lock him up with pain. and as long as he continues on the track he gets bumped. when he stops, i stop bumping the button. if he starts back in on it, he gets bumped again till he stops running the deer again. i think the dog makes the connection better with the shocking being because of it chasing deer better then just being fried so he stops running it and just knows it got fried.. force breaking off deer is done with another dog that will run deer and that dog is left to run the deer while you break yours from running it with the deer runner.aint much sense breaking a dog to not run deer if it can still be sucked into a deer race with another dog.
the thing about the shock collars and some dogs is you may never trust the dog unless he is wearing it. some look at shock collars like condems, may not need one but wearing one just in case.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:36 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Nice thing about useing a training dog is to help the pup learn to take off and go hunting. It helps them with fear of the dark it teaches them to come check in it also teaches them that what their hunting is not in a cage the track don't start at the tailgate. An old dog is NOT a pup trainer. An old coon dog that is broke on coon and hunts the way you want to hunt, that my friend is your trainer. Buy any pup you want but if your going to buy a pup trainer be very carefull even if its a good hound it might not teach your up and coming nite champ they way you want it to hunt!!!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire