CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: pup trainer necessity?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:08 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

is a pup trainer as in a older dog necessary for a young dog to turn out or could you just hunt the pup every night letting it gain more confidence every time you go out? i know different people with different point of views and just thought what you all think.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:19 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

im huntn my year old pup by herself and shes doin purty good.... im doing it cause i believe it will make her a better dog.... and i dont want her to become a "me too" dog by hunting her with other dogs to much... but i think huntn some with an older more expierenced dog wont hurt

i hate rain....
i own "PR" HARDWOOD MOLLY...

Last edited by bassmaster1228 on Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:20 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

so hunting her by herself would make her a me too dog?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:26 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

bluetickMOcooner wrote:
so hunting her by herself would make her a me too dog?

noooooo..... hunting a young dog with other dogs ALOT often makes a me too dog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:28 pm 
IP:
I prefer to start all of my pups without the use of an older dog, and I have a couple top notch old dogs that most would consider excellent pup trainers. I have been coonhunting for 24 years and have trained alot of pups over the years alot of different ways, and it has been my experience that a pup that is started without an old dog will start slower, but finish sooner, and be a more balanced dog also. There is no right or wrong answer to your question but that is my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:30 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

to answer your original question........ no. a pup trainer is not necessary for your pup to turn out good

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:43 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

another quesstion is if u hunt dogs on feeder buckets would that affect their ability to hunt where no buckets are found?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:59 pm 
IP:
Using feeders is an excellent way to get a pup to start on it's own. Just don't overdo it. Once a pup is running and treeing coon regularly off of feeders then it is time to quit the feeders and move on to wild coon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:11 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Pup trainers can help a hard to start pup.But after a young dog is running and treeing coon.They should be hunted alone as much as possible.At least 50% of the time..........Thats the only way you can really finish out a dog......((Me too dogs)) are dogs that tree with other dogs with out doing any of the work to tree the coon...Most me too dogs couldnt tree a coon on there own if they had too...Ive known several Grandnite champions like that....LOL........One way to make a dog a me too dog is to let them on kills.They didnt run and tree..I never let a started dog or broke dog have anything to do with a shot out coon.If they didnt run and tree it..I never let a dog get a coon if they come into a tree after I get there..I chain them back and let the dog that did tree it get the coon...Its also good to chain a pup back at every tree they tree on.Or come into....That helps learn them to stay after they get to a tree.....

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:31 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

First of all I will have to agree that the only way to finish a dog into a top hound is to hunt it by itself alot. However I do believe a pup trainer is a must.
Unlike you here on these forums, there are very few pups born that have enough natural ability to start without a pup trainer. There are even fewer "Trainers" out there with the knowledge and skills to start a pup alone. The simple fact that you are on here asking if you need one tells me you probabally do.
Just look at it this way. If you start a new job in a factory tomorrow, do you think they will say here is your machine get to work and leave you alone to try to figure out how to run it , or do you think they will put you with an experienced operator for a little while until you get the hang of it before letting you have it yourself?
Honestly most hounds that I have hunted with that was started on their own all had major faults.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:07 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Roosterrun wrote:
Just look at it this way. If you start a new job in a factory tomorrow, do you think they will say here is your machine get to work and leave you alone to try to figure out how to run it , or do you think they will put you with an experienced operator for a little while until you get the hang of it before letting you have it yourself?
Honestly most hounds that I have hunted with that was started on their own all had major faults.
First of all I will have to agree that the only way to finish a dog into a top hound is to hunt it by itself alot. However I do believe a pup trainer is a must.
Unlike you here on these forums, there are very few pups born that have enough natural ability to start without a pup trainer. There are even fewer "Trainers" out there with the knowledge and skills to start a pup alone. The simple fact that you are on here asking if you need one tells me you probabally do.

She knows what a coon is i had showed her caged 3 coons, let one of those go to tree it, and shot out 2 coons to her while hunting with my friend's dog..so is that enough to hunt her by herself on feeders to learn more on her own and get her confidence up?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:54 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

[quote="bluetickMOcooner]
She knows what a coon is i had showed her caged 3 coons, let one of those go to tree it, and shot out 2 coons to her while hunting with my friend's dog..so is that enough to hunt her by herself on feeders to learn more on her own and get her confidence up?[/quote]

Honestly I couldn't tell you. I have not seen your dog or have any idea how she did when you took her. If I had to take an educated guess I would say no.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:46 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Here is my OPINION .Depends how much time you want to put into your dog. This is what it seems like to me, If you hunt it with a trainer it might pick it up quicker, if you take the time and work it alone you will have a better dog. I would not suggest trying to do it without a older dog if you think your dog should be treeing coon right away and at a young age. I do believe you will end up with a better dog starting and finishing it alone. Besides for getting them around other dogs to make sure no aggresion is there. I am not a proffessional dog trainer this is only my opinion,but I have had a few dogs without having a website to ask for help. I have had a finished dog I trained by myself without another dog that would make most dogs look not very good. That is only including the dogs I have seen and hunted with I cannot talk about a dog I havent seen. If you have the time and pateince I would train it from scratch alone but thats just me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:58 pm 
IP:
I would do both hunt her with an old dog about 30% of the time then hunt her by herself the rest!!!

http://www.freewebs.com/oklahomacooner/index.htm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:43 pm 
IP:
My dogs rarely if ever get hunted alone. I don't have the time they all need to do it. I hunt big game so thats why I have so many dogs. The simple answer is yes. Most dogs will start sooner with a pup trainer. The problem is that pup trainer has come to mean any old dog. Most of these dogs have faults that can be passed on. IE: running deer, false treeing, aggressiveness. So more harm than good CAN be done with a "pup trainer". I agree with roosterruns comment about most hounds that are started on their own having faults. All of them I can think of did. Major faults. One major problem is aggression. These dogs aren't usually exposed to other dogs enough. If you have a good dog he'll be catching his own game in front of the other dogs anyway. I have a 2 year old female that has never been hunted alone that will drive a track way ahead of any of the other dogs. I doubt she's me too'ing when she's looking that critter in the face. All that said. Ideally, you should hunt a dog by itself on occasion if you have its doubts as to whether or not it can do it on its own.