CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:46 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

SWalker wrote:
I have a 4 month old pup who tends to ignore me when I call him. Not all the time but usually when she's running around with another grown yard dog I have. Any advice to fix this problem?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

pups have a short attention span, just keep messing with it and handling it and it will come just fine. if it is a hard headed dog then you may have to use a clothes line and the light poke from a collar when older. but at 4 months old you are doing good if it will come sometimes.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:17 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
joeistyle8204 wrote:
i got a 6 month old black and tan yesterday my second time ever being out hunting im new to the game and was wanting some advice my dog is real shy and skitish when im around her i took her in my house trying to get her to trust me and get use to being around me i call her name she will not come could this be from her not being with her litter mate and should i run her before she gets use to me? some think its cause she is use to being around other coon hounds all the time

thanks for reading any reply would be helpful and appreciated

it usually takes awhile longer for a new pup to get use to you then a couple days. most pups that are sold have never been worked with and handled enough to know what thier name is much less what come means. takin her in the house probly only made her more scared of her new surroundings. she has probly never been in a house. tv going,noises,smells,new owner. its all kinda over whelming for a new pup. she has been taken from the only life and people she has known and thrown into a completly new life with you.
at 6 mths old ,contrary to what some believe,you have plenty of time to let her get use to you and her surroundings and teach her to come when called before she is old enough to go to the woods. if she is shy, do not baby her. you will only enforce her shy act and she will play it for attention. just treat her like a pup. you may find she is not shy at all once she is adjusted to her new surroundings. if she was not shy where you went to get her where she had been raised or what ever ,she probly will not be once she has adjusted. the main thing you need in teaching a pup,any pup, for any training, is patience. don't expect things to happen in only one day.

Toe Cutter; It appears that I am more experienced with Pups than you are!!!!!

^^^^^^The Ole Plott Man^^^^^^^

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:57 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Toe Cutter; It appears that I am more experienced with Pups than you are!!!!!

^^^^^^The Ole Plott Man^^^^^^^[/quote]

PLOTTEN also wrote
" OPINIONS is all your going to get!!!! But some BELIEVE theirs so strong, that will argue with anyone who has a different one.

^^^^^^The Ole Plott Man^^^^^^^[/quote]

Last edited by toe cutter on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: want come when i call .
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:03 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Some more advice is don't call it's name over and over don't call it if your not willing to get his attention. If he doesn't come to you and you have to chase him don't beat it praise it make it feel like your not aggravated at all.
And this should get some people going.
A dog that dont listen or won't come to you when you call isn't a cull it can still hunt!
I had a dog once that was a good hunter but if you let him loose you had to catch him he would not listen to anything, you might as well be yelling your own name! But he treed coons, the ol man shot him one morning when he broke his chain said he was ruining the other dog that did listen but never did tree it's own coon

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:38 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I like this.... Rascal my Redbone, always come back to me, but at his own time.... .....gonna work with this.

Spokerider wrote:
Your dog really does want to please you, he's just not sure what you want form him yet.

Time to go back to step one with the obedience training. Try short but often training sessions, 3 or 4 a day. Call him by his name and give him a command, like " Barney Come" and only do this one time. When he looks at you, use other jestures to make him come to you, patting you knee, hold your arms out, use a happy facial expression, use a happy tone of voice, get down on one knee etc. The trick is to get him to come everytime with having just called his name with the command once. Now when he comes, reward him, pet him, hug him, tell him he's a good dog, spoil him for 30 seconds or so. Don't scold him when he does not come to you, end the session and try again later. Only use positive praise. Exercise patience and don't get upset with him. Like I said, he really does want to please you. You can try a food treat like a small peice of cheese or something when he get's it right, but, eventually you'll need him to come with the praise for a reward. He will catch on.

This has worked for me. Perhaps others will have some ideas for you as well.