CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have a 4 year old gyp that will go hunting and you won't get her back unless she is treed or you wait about an hour and a half so she can get tired and then you can call her back. I have not owned the dog very long and have been working her in the yard and she will come to me, but she has not had very much time spent with her in the past, and the only hting she knows is to HUNT. I left her in the woods last week, she stuck a cold track and worked it out located was rolling over to a chop, then left the tree and you could tell the track was hot the treed about 70yds away, and would go back and forth locating barking up. I think she was running a sow and kittens and it confused her.By this time it was 12:00 and I had to be at work at 7:00 I left her in the woods and picked her up the next day and I was just wondering if maybe I should use an e-collar on her and shock her back to the truck when I call her and she doesn't come.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:53 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Dont shock her in the woods.. Get ya a long rope let her wander off ya know doin her own thing call her.. If she dont come get a little stern and call her one more time if she dont come pop her and call her again do this til she comes to you without using the collar.. ive done it that way before and called my dog off several ugly tracks it didnt affect his hunting at all of course when she comes back pet her up real good i forgot to mention that.. hope this helps!

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:54 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

at 4 years old she is what she is,a wide hunter

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:32 pm 
IP:
I've shocked my dog a few times when he doesn't return when I call. My dog is vocal on track, so if I've heard any bawling in the past few minutes I won't even call him (and never shock!) because if he's on a trail I don't want to shock him and I never want to give a command if I won't enforce it. My GPS tells me his exact distance, so between watching those numbers and listening close I can pretty much tell if he's screwing around or running a trail. With shocking I believe it is MUCH better to play it safe than sorry, so I have to know my dog's behavior well and I very very rarely shock. When in any doubt at all, I do nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:41 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

My biggest thing about her is the fact she knows exactly what you are saying, but she is stubborn, stubborn to the point that I don't want to hunt her unless I have alot of time. I do however love her drive and enthusiasm in the woods I mean who wouldn't want to have a dog that loved to hunt? I checked her out when I picked her up the next day and she caught a coon she had a chunk taken out of her leg scratched up and two spots of blood on her ears. The old girl loves to hunt and I can't complain about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:59 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Well a coondog is a coondog you can call um off any track as i can and ill turn um back out and you can tell within 5 seconds it didnt hurt his hunting at all but thats just how i did my dogs and it worked for me

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:59 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

when i turn a dog loose to hunt i don't want to see it till its treed. i don't want it coming back. anydog you can call off a coon track or one trying to get treed is not enough of a hunting dog for me. you CAN'T sit at the truck and expect a dog to come back when YOUR ready to go home. if you have to go home , walk your butt into the woods and catch her. coon hunting with hounds is not a lazy mans sport. not to offend, just being honest and blunt...........TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:02 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ok so I guess I'm lazy but I have hunted with dogs before that when you called them they came running and loaded up. I just want to know how some of you guys that have hounds that will do this got to that point? Some people do not believe that you should be able to call a confused hound off of a track, I do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:23 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I understand that T.C. but when you have to get up at 4 in the morning its good to be able to call a dog back yea I lost the hound Im talking about its the first hound i ever had and its hard on me right now but i knew when i turned him out he was gone be treed or if i didnt like the track yea i could say "Smoke" and ill tell ya what he'd be there im not saying that i called him off all the tracks i didnt like but when i had to go to work hey i had to go to work.. a good hound can always find a coon and thats good but how long? i just like to have the authority to say hey you done good boy but its time we call it a night.. but its all in the hunter i guess

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:34 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

if a dog is "confused" and i'm tired of hearing it boo who on the track, i would walk in and catch it. i have seen beagles broke to come in when called if they were just hunting for a track and not running. they used a shocker. they called the dog then shocked them lightly and then called again. but when it was not wearing a shocker they still had to go catch them. if i can get with in 50 yrds of my beagles and yell down thay fold up on the ground even if they are running. my coondogs i'm able to leash them at a tree.the only way i can get my hounds to come in to the truck if they are NOT running or treed is to set another dog up on a tree and sucker it in to treeing.and the other might come in to cover it.i used to hunt with a young kid that could locate and start treeing and suck the dogs into him. funniest thing you would ever see..........TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:03 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

TC i think that would be funny to here! I will tell you this tho the dog is long gone now and it was my first dog i really worked with but from now on i think ill let em run the track! im currently unemployed because the walmart distribution center did not have enough hours but hopefully ill find a job soon ha.. ive just had a couple of encounters with the whole one tree 3 in the morning deals.. my cuzs dog and a buddy of mines dog goes until treed we found one one night of hunting i swear no less than 7 miles away ha we literally lost tracking on him and just had to guess where we could track him but none the less.. myself i could listen to a coon dog all night but my old job was more of a slave drive than anything.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:29 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

yea jobs are real hard to find now and to find one you like is even harder. i've worked mine for 26 yrs and i've never liked it at all. i work on harleys in my spare time and would have much rather done that for all these years , but just that its called work makes me not like it. i tend to forget that everyone on this site does'nt have the over population of coon like we do here in southern michigan. i popped over 30 coon in 2 weeks in a section of woods not over 50 acres and still had the farmer tell me i needed to kill more of them cause he counted over 10 in his barn last night.thats why a decent dog is treed in a very short time and i can go home when i want to stop. its nothing to tree 15 coons in a night here if you turn loose 15 times or score over 1000 plus points in a 2 hour hunt.scored 1350 plus points in 1990 to win the ohio state championship hunt..................TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:39 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

In parts where the coon are scarce it is nice to have a dog that you can call in when you are done. Not everybody can stay out all night. Sometimes all the time you have is for a quick hunt. To go hunting for a short time and have the dog come to you when you want to go is a pure pleasure. Sure beats a dog that will not come and you have a long night in the woods. I wonder what dog would most people want to hunt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:21 pm 
IP:
I agree with TC that a hound shouldn't be called off a track. If I want to go home and my dog is running a coon, well tough luck for me! I am glad though that I can call my dog in when he's not on a track, rather than running around the woods trying to catch it because it won't come when called. If I never saw my dog until it was treed then I'd be in sorry shape. LOL, ain't enough coons in Montana to do that! My dog would have to run many many miles and eventually pass out from heat-stroke before he found a coon in some parts.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:17 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i got this pup and every time we go huntin when its time to go most of the time she will come back and some times she want .what could i do to help her to come back when i call

SMOKIN HOT CHLOIE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next