CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:33 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i have a coming 2 year old walker female. she will run a track good. she is wired. she hunts really good. once the other dogs tree she is there with them on the garmin. she aint treein. when we get there she isnt there she is a good ways off hunting. i figure she is looking for another one. when we start shooting she comes running bout the time the dogs are chewing on it she arrives. i catch her so she dont get any of it. how can i make her stay at the tree. and how do i get her to bark on the tree.

Home of:

Nitech 'PR' Buck Creek Dan

GRCH 'PR' Sweet Tea Southern Suzi

RIP -- 'PR' Buck Creek Friendly 1-29-14

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:04 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Got a 3 year old gyp off RatAttack doing about the same thing.Mine is treeing like a devil for about 10 minutes and then she leaves and goes looking for another.Lastnight she treed and we marked the tree with the garmin,cause we knew she would leave and my 8 month X pup was treeing by then.so we knew the tree but by the time we got there she was 800yards away on the garmin.If you find a way to fix yours let me know.Very aggravating.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:04 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

okay i will do. but mine wont even tree at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Has she ever treed if not this is what worked for me. Take her with other dogs DO NOT TURN HER OUT if the other dogs tree walk her in on a the lead tie her back give the other dogs the coon and make her watch. Drag the coon and hang it up for her give her the coon only if she trees. Do this 10 times before you turn her out again.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:35 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

if you wont the dog to tree put a collar on the coon with 100 ft nylon string on it. turn the coon loose in a field around open woods. turn the dog loose alone and stay with her. if she trees it tie her to the tree and pet her good. when she starts to lose interest pull the coon down til she see's it. this should make her start treeing again. then let the coon go back up (THIS WILL NOT MAKE HER A TREE BY SITE DOG) after she has treed for a while shoot it out. or shoot thin pull the string. do this one time thin hunt her alone if she trees get to her and tie her up pet her good and pat the tree make her tree as long as she will

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:05 pm 
IP:
LOL, you're braver than I am to put a collar on a coon and lead it with a rope!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:21 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

She might be getting run off the tree by the other dogs???..Most young dogs cant take the bumping and some dogs will facebark or jump on the tree. They just wander off...Has she ever shown any interest in treeing even looking up or smelling up a tree???..Have you tryed hunting her alone to see what she does????..Shes at the age she needs to hunted alone anyway to finnish her out...Having the garmin can really help you know what the dog is doing at all times....Id hunt her alone and see what she can do...Its always best to hunt a young dog. With only one other dog that will let young dogs tree with them..The more dogs you have your just asking for trouble...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:50 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

the dogs i hunt with aren't ill at all. she has looked up and smelled up the tree. one night we had the coon up a little tree like 12 feet from the ground and she didnt tree. just look.and how do i take her by herself if she wont tree. or will that get her to tree ( cause its all up to her to get a coon)?? maybe put her on some hot feeders by herself??

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:21 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

puttin her on some hot feeders is what i would do. im having issues with my dog finishing a track and that is what im resorting to. gd luck to ya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:55 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

WALKER1MAN wrote:
i have a coming 2 year old walker female. she will run a track good. she is wired. she hunts really good. once the other dogs tree she is there with them on the garmin. she aint treein. when we get there she isnt there she is a good ways off hunting. i figure she is looking for another one. when we start shooting she comes running bout the time the dogs are chewing on it she arrives. i catch her so she dont get any of it. how can i make her stay at the tree. and how do i get her to bark on the tree.

=============================================
=============================================
You are young and appear to be dedicated to coon hunting, also you are starting a good record in the hunts!!!!

My question?????? What is important about this female?????

She is not well-bred. She didn't get the correct alignment of genes or she would be different.

You have got other dogs and according to the average life-span of man you've got lots more years.

So, unless you have some special interest in this female; or just like a good CHALLENGE; you should replace her with a more reliable prospect and not turn GRAYHEADED worrying about her.

I have trained about all the dogs that i've hunted in the last 60 years; and they don't get much training around here!!! If they haven't got it to start with they don't get it. I like pups thats are born to hunt; not some that have to be taught step by step!!!!!

You may train her out, but the natural material is not in order and she shouldn't be bred to carry on that line because there will be a flaw!!!

I wish you great success and maybe you can go on into your 80's like me and have enjoyed a very wonderful life of hunting like I have.

It would be good if you would learn that it's better to breed dogs with all natural ability, than those that have been highly trained!!!!!

The Okefenokee Swamp Promoter