CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:16 pm 
IP:
I try to never give a command that I can't enforce. On a few occasions that has meant shocking my dog. There's another post up about a dog that comes when called in all situations but in the woods. I won't call my dog when he's on a trail, but if he's just out there sniffing around or goofing off (which is where I have to know my dog well) and it's time to go home, I call him. If he willfully disobeys me, he gets a shock. The shock is the 700 yard rope, as opposed to the 50 foot rope I trained him on. I can't shock my dog if I'm not 100% sure of what he's doing, so shocks are pretty rare. I also don't know if the higher voltage buttons work; I'm sure I'll never find out.

I've never used the shocker for trash-breaking though, because in that area I'm inexperienced so I don't mess with it. I fully admit that I am that person who doesn't always know when the shocker is appropriate--that's why 9 out of 10 hunts the transmitter doesn't come out of my pocket. I'd rather my dog ran a deer than I shocked him for running a coon.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:10 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

MTCoonHunter wrote:

I'd rather my dog ran a deer than I shocked him for running a coon.
well said,,years ago coonhounds were trashier then what most are today, the walkers were the worse. they were very gamie and known to run anything that left a track. the breeding today is much better and some i've trained seem to be naturally straight on coon. world ch hillbilly mac was stratght on coon from the start and they never had to "work on him" for trash. if you start a dog right and keep it with straight dogs you will have far fewer problems. i start my young dogs with one of my broke dogs and thats what it stays with till i single it out. then it is hunted alone or only with a dog i know is straight and does'nt have faults i don't want my young dog to learn. so by picking the right breeding and carefully watching what dogs you hunt them with, you can save yourself alot of headaches. there is much more treeing instinct in the breeding now, most can't run a deer far because when they make a lose they are too busy checking trees to see where it climbed.the days of leaving your coat so your trash runner will be there when you come back the next day are pretty much over.............TC

Last edited by toe cutter on Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:53 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

General Kennels wrote:
TC - I was reading some of your other posts about your hatred for shock collars and your method for correcting a dog by ''beating the hell out them'' every time they don't hunt how you like will do nothing except make a scared, timid dog. I think your experiences or really lack of experiences came from not knowing your dog. My advise, stop beating your dogs to near death with every off game they tree or their teeth on your hand will feel alot worse than a tick from an e-collar! Or starting hunting Walkers...........
please. i never claimed to hate shocking collars, just the misuse of them. i don't want anyone to "beat the hell out of " their dog. i have 4 dogs from 2 to 4 yrs old and have never beat any of them and none of them have ever worn a shock collar to the woods..............TC

Last edited by toe cutter on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:33 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i met a man at a hunt one night . he had came back early because his nite champion had been scratched for the second hunt in a row for treeing oppossum. when asked by another man if he had tried a shock collar he said yes he had, but now the dog would not hunt if it had the shock collar on it. he said it would just stand there hunkered down. he said he did'nt know what to do, he could sell the dog to some one who would put up with it , but his handler was a young kid and was so attached to the dog he could'nt. i told him i could break the dog for him.he looked at me like i was full of it, beacause i was only 18yrs old. we hunted for one week, after that one week and 4 dead oppossums his lil gyp was forever broke from messin with grinners. she went on to make grand nite champion grand champion. she was the mother world champion, grand nite ch, grand ch, herns red eagle di-ck, her name was herns crowding cindy. this began a friendship for life between me ,gary herns and his handler kevin swartz.gary taught me the ins and outs of line breeding dogs and i still have the same line breeding going today from the bloodlines of crowding cindy , finley river dan,and rock river ring. i bought my old mack dog from gary when he was 2 yrs old after kevin put him in the superstake finals. his mother is out of world champion gr nite ch alabama eagle.line bred out of world ch red eagle di-ck and world ch smokin joe.gary always said if i had not whipped his dog with the oppossum the 3 world champions would have never been..................TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:58 am 
IP:
TC - sorry I did not mean to upset you and take the post on a different track. I also use 'some come to Jesus' meetings for bad behavior and had mixed results. But knock on wood I have had alot of positive results from shock collars. I would have definately loved a shock collar around my neck for correction as a youngster then take another whopping from a father of 6'6'' and 275+ lbs.! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:33 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
i remember seeing people putting their hounds in the nite hunts wearing a shock collar. you can talk till your blue in the face and i'm still only gonna put one on a unbroke dog when its the last resort.

Now I don't nite hunt... but I hunt... My 5 year old dog I trust as much as I will trust a hound :wink: and he still runs with a shock collar on the majority of the time.. I HAVE used it ONCE to stop him from crossing a dangerous highway... It was my last resort method before he got hit in the road..

For me, I own it, I will put it on the dogs.. I know lots of people who have made STUPID mistakes with that controller and I am sure I have too.. I haven't used it more then the tone button in I don't know how long... but I will put it on them..

www.outwesthounds.com

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:34 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i'm sure there are many good uses if used correctly.
just my opinon and i see maybe i should keep some of my opinons to myself................TC

Last edited by toe cutter on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:15 pm 
IP:
I, for one, think your opinions are well worth reading TC. I also agree that an idiot with a button to push is a bad deal. I tend to think what you were trying to get across is that in this day and age, it seems like just about everyone is looking for the magic wand or immediate cure. It is frustrating for some of us "older" dog folks to sit by and watch folks trying to do everything except WORK to make a dog. Ive always said instant gratification is best found at the Mcdonalds drive through and not in the woods with dogs. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I know where your comin from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:39 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

TC

I didn't mean my post to make it look I didn't value your opinion.. Just wanted to give an example on why some people might use shock collars on broke dogs (if there really is a 100% thing)

I agree that people should have to put the work into their dog.. We didn't own a shock collar, heck a tracking collar either, for quite a while.. And I still use the magic wand as a completely last resort..

I do hear stories about people shocking dogs for leaving the road while roading etc.. and think of their poor dogs... I think you should have to pass a common sense test before you can own a shock collar... but heck.. I think you should before you own a hound also..

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:38 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
I know how i've seen other peoples dogs respond. as long as they have the shock collar on they are cured of the fault. shortly after it is not wearing it, they go back to doing the same old thing they did before. to me hunting a so called "broke"dog with a shock collar is like riding a horse with the halter and the bridal on it. i remember seeing people putting their hounds in the nite hunts wearing a shock collar. you can talk till your blue in the face and i'm still only gonna put one on a unbroke dog when its the last resort. i'm by no means the worlds best trainer and i am set firmly in my ways. plus i don't seem to have the problems that are posted so much on this web site, maybe its the breeding in my dogs, maybe i'm just lucky, i don't know :?: :wink: ..........TC

I understand where your coming from. Inexperience can and most of the time will lead to a ruined dog. But as for the problems with your friends dog and the possum as well as your quote above. That is where the HUGE importance of a dummy collar has been lost by todays trainers. Just as you were saying, they are not being used correctly. If your not using a dummy collar, you shouldn't buy an e-collar. Though, this is my opinion and there are many others who would disagree. To each his own.
:D

Post subject: post subject`
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:09 pm 
IP:
Years ago I said if some dogs run a deer 10 or 12 times or more
they can not be broke from runing deer. Now I think with a good
E-collar any dog can be broke off deer. I have one would not be
without one. Lonnie Woodcox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:45 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

MTCoonHunter wrote:
I try to never give a command that I can't enforce. On a few occasions that has meant shocking my dog.

I wish I had a shocker the other day. My dog knows his commands and usually if he doesn't listen after 2 or 3 times I have my running shoes on with a switch in hand.

After running about a mile through a gorge with a switch I sure wish I had a shock collar available to me. But there was a certain satisfaction of halting his deer running and actually correcting him with my hands. Like he knew he couldn't get around listening to a command.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:40 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i have had a shock collar for my dog only for a couple months and i put it on her for about 5 outings without even turning it on and since then i think i have shocked once maybe twice one she started chasing a deer so i shocked and she stopped.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:12 pm 
IP:
i agree my redbone is messed up cause yhe guy i got her from used it for a trackin collar you put one one her and she goes under the truck and wont hunt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:24 am 
IP:
great tool in the right hands!