CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 10 month old pup
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:13 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 10 month old Black and Tan pup. He hates a caged coon, will run and stay with other dogs when turned loose to hunt I have seen him get up on the tree some and sniff the tree but I have yet to hear him open up on track or on the tree, he has fought a couple of coons and never backed down. Any sugesstions that may help him or any thing that I should or should not do? I was told to leash him at the tree I have done this but he still hasn't barked.
Thank You,
Margaret

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:35 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

at ten months he is still a pup.but if he hates the coons as you say and you are giving him the coons just because he is there he has no reason to tree for it. i would tie him back off the tree so he cannot get the coon when it is shot out. i would'nt let him touch it at all. he should start barkin and tryin to get after it when it hits the ground. he will be a handfull to lead out of the woods but don't let him on the coon kill. and don't let him put his mouth on it. it will make him want it more and he will show you what your wanting. you can pet him and fire him up while hes tied back.if you can hang the coon in the tree or a small one close by let him tree on it but don't let him jump up and grab it down, just pet and encourage him.you may have to let one of the older dogs up close on a leash and let them tree on it too.you will have to leash the others dogs back so you can work with your pup . then leave the coon right there hanging in the tree and pull him off and lead him out so he remembers the coon is in the trees. he will be trying to climb up on the trees to look for it on the way out of the woods.don't over do the treeing on the hang ups though, 3 maybe 4 hung coon at the most. or he will start sight treein big knots or anything that looks like a coon in the trees. you will want to have someone remove the coon from the tree after you lead your pup off a good distance , some land owners don't like ya leaving coons hanging in the trees...you will more then likely need some one to help with this cause it is hard to handle a grown dog and your pup.after you pull your pup off and leave the area your other dog handler can give the broke dog the coon again.otherwise he will be all fired up and be a big handfull to lead out too...........TC