CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: how many caged coon
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:24 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Biggerjigger looks like your getting good advice from these guys. I highly recommend the hot dogs. That worked great for me on a dog that didn't want to come in when I called. I used to carry a small container when she was young in my pocket when I was hunting her. Anytime she would get close in the woods ill call her give her a treat then send her again.
But like they said just spend time with her now. I like to go around and pet all my dogs before I feed one at a time and I have 7 so they make quite a rackat till I'm done. lol. Good thing I don't have close neighbors.
And by the way I tried all kinds of treats and she wouldn't bother with them till a buddy recommended the hot dogs.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:07 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
Biggerjigger wrote:
Ok TC she is on a cable now. Took some serious effort to catch her and hook her up but it's done. Do I just leave her alone now or pet the crap out of her now that I can catch her?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

it is a fault in her. many people will not mess with a dog like her. you may get her over it and you may not. if its a bred in fault you probly wont get her over it. if its because of how she was raised or handled, or not handled you may find the button to fix her. dont force her, just let her come along on her own and dont get mad at her. a pocket full of hot dogs wont hurt either. you may have to use another method to get her to come when you call her to you, but first you gotta get her over the skiddish and shy of you part. when and if she comes out of her box and wants to be around you when she sees you coming then you can go to the next step. i would not just leave her alone, she needs interaction with people if she has any chance to get over it.and she may always have a flakey side to her.

after reading through the posts i get the idea the dog is just half wild because of not being socialized like river rat said.and not timid shy as i had thought. the handling and hotdogs should still do the trick.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:18 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks guys! I have had the wife and the kid out there doing some "socializing" so to speak. The seems to be coming around SLOWLY but then again she is in new surroundings and with new people so im not going to rush her or make hasty decisions. She has finally taken up with my old dog and this should help some. He is very obedient so I hope she pays attention.

So far so good.....Slow and steady

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:46 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Update on Rose, Today she is at the end of her chain excited to see me. When I approach her she still cowers down but soesnt run away. Seems to be working so far.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:15 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Phase 2. Brought her n the house for a bath and some social skills. She ain't happy about the bath!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Seems to b working! Leash skills are100 percent better and 200 percent better around me. Still very skiddish but comin around quickly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:42 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

1st caged coon turned out, Dog ran and treed. Young so left tree.

2nd caged coon turned out I got to the tree and held dog on tree.

Okay, one more time and we should be good to go.

3rd time, durn dog dang near pulled my arm off, never opened his mouth, and still don't know what tree that vanishing coon went because dog came back wagging tail, looked at me and said....

"Okay...where's the next one?"