CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: how many caged coon
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:18 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Brown3450 wrote:
No she comes back and hunts right there around me like 30 yards out then she stops and looks at me then she keeps goin but I've let a live coon go then go and turn her loose and she will trail the coon and tree it

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

getting one to hunt out alone without you walking them takes more *patience then any other part of making a coondog.
you will spend alot of time with her looking at you and you looking at her. just ignore her. short of letting her ball up and lay down just sit there. she may go 50 yrds out the next time she leaves. when she comes back just sit there. she may go 100 yrds out or she may not. you just have to have the *patience to sit and not get frustrated. dont talk to her or nothin. i took a lawn chair and left it in the woods so i got somthing comfortable to sit in. there is no trick or nothin to make it happen other then you having *patience. I know it can be very frustrating knowing your dog can run and tree a coon if she would just go look. but it will happen if you have the *patience.. every time you turn her with another dog or get up and walk her is a step backwards. and always take her to a place she has the best chance to find a coon if she goes looking. it will come , if you have the *patience you will be able to turn her off the tailgate and she will go when its all said and done.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:59 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Brown3450 wrote:
No she comes back and hunts right there around me like 30 yards out then she stops and looks at me then she keeps goin but I've let a live coon go then go and turn her loose and she will trail the coon and tree it

we need to back up here a lil bit. dont worry about her going hunting just yet if all you have done is turned a coon or two loose for her. you still need to kinda teach her that the coons are in the woods. ease in the woods with her and let her hunt, then move on in with her. try to get her in where she has the best chance to find one.creek,edge of a cornfield along the woods ect.... dont walk her , let her go out and come back a couple times if she will,then move. move her in ,stop and let her hunt out some,then move again. once she has treed a couple off tracks you walked her across ,, then start standing or sitting and let her go out and dont move her in,let her get bored and go alone..but first she has to know the coon are out there.. she probly really aint got a clue yet that they are out there to be found. and is she is also kinda unsure alone and wants to check and make sure you are where she left you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:22 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Brown3450 wrote:
I've got another question my bluetick is 7 months old and she don't want to leave for no longer than 5 sometimes 10 minutes is this a prob or will she eventually start running with the dogs?

I've worked with several pups 7 months old and younger. What they gained between 7 and 12 months wasn't worth my effort. Seems like all they do during that time is frustrate me. I believe now it's just as well to wait until they're a year old - don't think you loose a thing by waiting. I live in a rural area, but with quite a few houses on a county road. There is a good patch of woods a few hundred yards out behind my house. I'm turning my 10-month-old loose late at night to roam and play for a couple hours and get used to being alone in the dark. He goes somewhere because takes a while for him to come in when I call. If he starts hittin' the trees and getting struck, I'll keep him up 'cause he ain't statrtin' 'til he's a year old. My only fear is cars but he's been "car proofed" ( thinks they can shock him) and they seldom come by that late. Man it hurts to wait!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:36 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

HuckFinn wrote:
Brown3450 wrote:
I've got another question my bluetick is 7 months old and she don't want to leave for no longer than 5 sometimes 10 minutes is this a prob or will she eventually start running with the dogs?

I've worked with several pups 7 months old and younger. What they gained between 7 and 12 months wasn't worth my effort. Seems like all they do during that time is frustrate me. I believe now it's just as well to wait until they're a year old - don't think you loose a thing by waiting. I live in a rural area, but with quite a few houses on a county road. There is a good patch of woods a few hundred yards out behind my house. I'm turning my 10-month-old loose late at night to roam and play for a couple hours and get used to being alone in the dark. He goes somewhere because takes a while for him to come in when I call. If he starts hittin' the trees and getting struck, I'll keep him up 'cause he ain't statrtin' 'til he's a year old. My only fear is cars but he's been "car proofed" ( thinks they can shock him) and they seldom come by that late. Man it hurts to wait!

x2,, last one of mine was 2 yrs old. my friends all said oh you have waited too long now.. took him 7 nights and he was actually split treeing with a different coon from his older brother..his 2 older brothers i started at 11 and 13 months old, the 13 month old was treeing coon alone and shut his mother out on a coon with 12 nights in the woods. i never showed any of them a caged coon. first coon they saw was thier first night in the woods. i never let them touch it. just drug them off still wanting it. i use another dog to expose them to coon.. starting them alone you will need to expose them to coon so they have some pre training.
for me i can do more with a one yr old in 3 weeks then i can with a 5 to 10 month old in 3 months. i blame the puppy derbys and hunts causing the misconception you have to start them young to make a good one.anytime someone says they have a 6 or 7 month old pup running and treeing i think to myself it would of been a better dog with fewer faults if they had waited to start them. a dogs nose is not at full power till they are around 2 yrs old. not to mention any brain power.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:22 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Thanks everyone's for the help

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

So let me get this straight, I am new as well, I shouldn't even attempt to train my 8 month old dogs or let them hunt with other finished dogs until they are past a year. I just want to be sure I don't mess up some good hounds.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:02 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Also one of mine is a female that is so skiddish that I can't catch her in a fish net! Should I just play with her and feed her for a few months or send her in her merry way ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:28 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Biggerjigger wrote:
So let me get this straight, I am new as well, I shouldn't even attempt to train my 8 month old dogs or let them hunt with other finished dogs until they are past a year. I just want to be sure I don't mess up some good hounds.

a 8 month old dog is usually old enough to start going to the woods with the right finished dog. just keep in your mind it is still a puppy and its gonna do puppy things. it really depends on the pup. with most if left to mature on thier own they will remain puppy minded till even 2 yrs old. coon hunting a pup matures them faster then anything else does. its more about the trainer expecting them to be more then a puppy and they push them to learn more then thier peanut brain will allow..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:55 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Biggerjigger wrote:
Also one of mine is a female that is so skiddish that I can't catch her in a fish net! Should I just play with her and feed her for a few months or send her in her merry way ?

a shy or skiddish dog is one of the most frustrating pups you will ever mess with. with the right handling you might get her out of it , and thats a big might.
it takes the right mindset in you to get them to come around. if you baby them they will act more shy.if you get frustrated with them they will act more shy. for some reason a shy dog on a chain will come around alot better then a shy one in a pen. chain her where the most activity with people is at. meaning don't chain her behind the barn and expect her to get so she will interact with people. treat her as you would any dog and talk to her in a normal voice. if you baby them they will learn the shy act gets them special treatment. let her make up to you own her own. it helps to have another dog she knows and trusts around you and her while you're spending time around her. you need to get her to acting better with you before you ever attempt to take her hunting.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a male the same age from a different litter that is all I over me. I play with him and call her yet she stays at arms length barely getting a nose touch in every once in a while. I was just before trapping her and bringing her I side the house but I think I will try the chain first.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:02 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I think if I took the female out I may never catch her if she didn't tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:26 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ok TC she is on a cable now. Took some serious effort to catch her and hook her up but it's done. Do I just leave her alone now or pet the crap out of her now that I can catch her?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:12 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Biggerjigger wrote:
Ok TC she is on a cable now. Took some serious effort to catch her and hook her up but it's done. Do I just leave her alone now or pet the crap out of her now that I can catch her?

it is a fault in her. many people will not mess with a dog like her. you may get her over it and you may not. if its a bred in fault you probly wont get her over it. if its because of how she was raised or handled, or not handled you may find the button to fix her. dont force her, just let her come along on her own and dont get mad at her. a pocket full of hot dogs wont hurt either. you may have to use another method to get her to come when you call her to you, but first you gotta get her over the skiddish and shy of you part. when and if she comes out of her box and wants to be around you when she sees you coming then you can go to the next step. i would not just leave her alone, she needs interaction with people if she has any chance to get over it.and she may always have a flakey side to her.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:53 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
Biggerjigger wrote:

it is a fault in her. many people will not mess with a dog like her. you may get her over it and you may not. if its a bred in fault you probly wont get her over it. if its because of how she was raised or handled, or not handled you may find the button to fix her. dont force her, just let her come along on her own and dont get mad at her. a pocket full of hot dogs wont hurt either. you may have to use another method to get her to come when you call her to you, but first you gotta get her over the skiddish and shy of you part. when and if she comes out of her box and wants to be around you when she sees you coming then you can go to the next step. i would not just leave her alone, she needs interaction with people if she has any chance to get over it.and she may always have a flakey side to her.

I dont think it is bred into her, She is off of NITECH CH PR Nulls Duelin Dan. Spose to be in the top 10 producers of BnT for some time now. I think she just hasnt been handled at all. Hope she comes around, Seems like a good litter.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Biggerjigger wrote:
toe cutter wrote:
Biggerjigger wrote:

I dont think it is bred into her, She is off of NITECH CH PR Nulls Duelin Dan. Spose to be in the top 10 producers of BnT for some time now. I think she just hasnt been handled at all. Hope she comes around, Seems like a good litter.

Sounds like she wasn't properly socialized. I would pet her,praise her, and when you feed her stand around and just spend time with her. Its not an easy fix, but if she does come around for you she will be very loyal to you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next