CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hitting your dog
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:20 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i have a redbone and before i got him i was reading stuff about the breed and i read that you should never hit ur coonhound. what do you all think about this?

"Dont think back it will hold you back"

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:44 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Why would you want to hit your dog it only ruins the relationship between you and your dog. My dad is terrible about this if a dog does something wrong he has a tendency to hit them and I have never seen an inprovment in them the only thing that changes is they become afraid of him. I really don't think hitting or harming your dog in anyway helps but thats just my experience.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:05 am 
IP:
There's a big difference between beating, hitting too hard, and disciplining a dog. Every dog is different, some are sensitive and there's never ever a need to swat them, others are bone-heads who do need a swat to get their attention. With my dogs 95% of the time the swat is not intended to physically hurt them, I will bop them on the nose or swat their rumps. It gets their attention and seems to sober them up a bit. When using my hands, the only times the swats are meant to hurt are when I'm breaking up a dog fight or when my dog is showing dangerous aggression towards me. The only time I used a closed fist was when my newly adopted saint bernard took a lunge at me, but then hey, it's me or the dog.
So yeah, every dog is different and there's no reason to over-discipline in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:38 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Hitting a coonhound with your hand is likely to injure your hand!

I agree hitting would only be for extreme circumstances with a real strong willed dog, otherwise it just doesn't do a lot of good. I have broken off a switch in the woods to tap a dog pulling on the lead. But it is more for the sound and getting their attention.

I am a yeller when I get really mad. Every couple months, I start yelling and the whole household gets quiet and scatters! Keeps them aware of who's alpha :shock: :lol:

Oregon http://www.bayingbriars.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:52 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Libby wrote:
I am a yeller when I get really mad. Every couple months, I start yelling and the whole household gets quiet and scatters! Keeps them aware of who's alpha :shock: :lol:

me to, my dog know my different tones and when im pissed she knows it and cowers, its not cause i hit her when im mad it jsut cause she knows im boss. i never hit, the most aggressive i get is grabbing her by the scruff of her neck and pinnin her to the ground, it gets her to submit and its a "natural" way to get your point accross.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:55 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

MTCoonHunter wrote:
There's a big difference between beating, hitting too hard, and disciplining a dog. Every dog is different, some are sensitive and there's never ever a need to swat them, others are bone-heads who do need a swat to get their attention. With my dogs 95% of the time the swat is not intended to physically hurt them, I will bop them on the nose or swat their rumps. It gets their attention and seems to sober them up a bit. When using my hands, the only times the swats are meant to hurt are when I'm breaking up a dog fight or when my dog is showing dangerous aggression towards me. The only time I used a closed fist was when my newly adopted saint bernard took a lunge at me, but then hey, it's me or the dog.
So yeah, every dog is different and there's no reason to over-discipline in my opinion.

good post!

OAKS POINT KENNELS
JOE CULLER

HOME OF:
GRNITECH CH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE
'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:10 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

For some reason a fly swatter works wonders here. They see it and stop doing whatever it is I don't want em doin. All I have to do is open the back door and stick that fly swatter out!!!!

http://threecolorkennels.tripod.com

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:28 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

There is no reason to fly off the handle and beat the hell out of a dog, but a good firm smack will do wonders sometimes. But then again these are hounds and they can be either too smart or too dumb to care. I think it just depends on the dog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:55 pm 
IP:
ok this is just my opinion,there is a big difrence out of whooping yer dog,and afirming yer dominance,before the day of shock collars,and even now if broke and can't aford one,one must resort to out and out hand to hand combat tobreak up a dog fight,or a deer chaser,i'm sorry some times it takes the dog thinking it will die if it does the crime again,look back at all the old breaking methodes,and even our beloved shock collar,i garantee when you bring a stop to a hard deer chase,that dog is thinking its running up on the pearly gates when you hit that button,now that being said let me say i don't condon a beating,but if you watch say wolfs or wild dogs,there is a alphamale and ffemale,what happens when some one gets out of line,they get knocked down rolled over on thier back and stood over,and a bite or two,instant compliance,ok i like to incorporate that into dog training,right from a pup,if a pup gets rowdy or out of line,i grab them up ,roll them on their back,and hold them down till they submit,lesson learned,no reason to go further let them up love on them and go on,older dog,get it too,but i shout my displeaser,while holding them down,physical yes,absolutely,did anyone get hurt,heck no,i'm the boss thats final,now most all pups that are brought up like this,seem to learn quicker,and the disapline factor is minamum, i still have the shock collar for big problems,i can't run dogs down anymore,but only when its mandatory,shock collars have wrecked more dogs than they have made,anyway,my opinion is yes you do have to be physical sometimes to direct yer dog down the right path,but violence is not nessisary,and when you do have to disaplin always love them up after word to afirme they are still part of the program,the dogs that always get yelled at and beat don't usualy make dogs jmho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

MTCoonHunter wrote:

Yea I agree. We had a dog you could kick him off you everytime he jumped on you it never phased him, but another dog of ours if you even looked at it wrong it would run away and hide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:28 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ezra Ahrendt wrote:
ok this is just my opinion,there is a big difrence out of whooping yer dog,and afirming yer dominance,before the day of shock collars,and even now if broke and can't aford one,one must resort to out and out hand to hand combat tobreak up a dog fight,or a deer chaser,i'm sorry some times it takes the dog thinking it will die if it does the crime again,look back at all the old breaking methodes,and even our beloved shock collar,i garantee when you bring a stop to a hard deer chase,that dog is thinking its running up on the pearly gates when you hit that button,now that being said let me say i don't condon a beating,but if you watch say wolfs or wild dogs,there is a alphamale and ffemale,what happens when some one gets out of line,they get knocked down rolled over on thier back and stood over,and a bite or two,instant compliance,ok i like to incorporate that into dog training,right from a pup,if a pup gets rowdy or out of line,i grab them up ,roll them on their back,and hold them down till they submit,lesson learned,no reason to go further let them up love on them and go on,older dog,get it too,but i shout my displeaser,while holding them down,physical yes,absolutely,did anyone get hurt,heck no,i'm the boss thats final,now most all pups that are brought up like this,seem to learn quicker,and the disapline factor is minamum, i still have the shock collar for big problems,i can't run dogs down anymore,but only when its mandatory,shock collars have wrecked more dogs than they have made,anyway,my opinion is yes you do have to be physical sometimes to direct yer dog down the right path,but violence is not nessisary,and when you do have to disaplin always love them up after word to afirme they are still part of the program,the dogs that always get yelled at and beat don't usualy make dogs jmho

im way to broke to afford a shock collar and my dog is stubbor as they come so im going to try this. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

They is a big difference in beating your dog and tapping him with a limb or something to get his attention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:31 pm 
IP:
i cant stand people who beat on dogs i have one kicked a dog once and that was when the got inn a fight the dogs were atached to one other by the mmouth and my bbuddy pick one up by his legs and the other bboy picked his dog up bby the legs so i gived the one that stared it one kick to the side and the fight was over i hated doin it bbut it had to be done

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

my pup decided last night that the carpet next to the tv was the place were he does his business, well it aint. So today when he was bout to jump the gate to do his business, i swatted his nose, and he backed off. He tried it again an all i have to do was raise my hand and he went to his bed. And he does his duty outside now.
Never had a coonhound before, but ive had countless Spaniels and when theyd act out just a firm smack would set em right. They and my pup seem to know what the smack meant and show no contempt after the fact.

If It Bays', Hunt It!

Last edited by moonshiner on Sat May 10, 2008 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:59 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

never smack a dog in the face...a wack on the nose or anything....they will loose their respect for you

home of Owens'
PKC CH Woodstock Dot
Funky Freckles (Freck)(the project dog)