It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Dog leaving tree
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:07 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

smokehunt4140 wrote:
Well I tried the switch last night but the little sucker was so quick to will back around I couldnt catch him he was back on the tree ..

its already working, just stay with it and he will stop coming off all together.. he is just happy to see you get there and show you what he has done.. if you stay on him each and every time he will stop. don't get too harsh with it. a little each time will sink into his head without any ill effects.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:31 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

thanks tc . ill keep at it !!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:04 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

smokehunt4140 wrote:
Well I tried the switch last night but the little sucker was so quick to will back around I couldnt catch him he was back on the tree .. Use a switch or a fishing rod end at the house so he knew what was coming . he don't really stop barking just comes down and barks at me makes no since never seen one do it as hard as he trees

That "meeting you off the tree rule was around back in the 1960's when there was 10 "grade cast" at a hunt compared to 2 registered casts. Either officially change the rule or abide by what the rule says , Not hidden away in some version of the Advisor or PKC rules. That current interpretation of that rule definitely favors 5 of the seven coonhound breed and one in particular. I hunt leopards. They, that I have and I won't speak for anybody elses can lose points on a first tree because some fruitcake decided he was too loose on the tree. But I have one leopard that hangs his left foot on the bark and points like a birddog with his right foot while he is clocking out 120 BPM . Now if you want to go for style points , he has it and nobody elses does . If you need to minus his sister for meeting me ten steps off the tree AFTER the judge has determined all dogs were there and treeing, We Are going to have Questions... Change the written rule or abide by it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:21 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

1molatenite wrote:
smokehunt4140 wrote:
Well I tried the switch last night but the little sucker was so quick to will back around I couldnt catch him he was back on the tree .. Use a switch or a fishing rod end at the house so he knew what was coming . he don't really stop barking just comes down and barks at me makes no since never seen one do it as hard as he trees

That "meeting you off the tree rule was around back in the 1960's when there was 10 "grade cast" at a hunt compared to 2 registered casts. Either officially change the rule or abide by what the rule says , Not hidden away in some version of the Advisor or PKC rules. That current interpretation of that rule definitely favors 5 of the seven coonhound breed and one in particular. I hunt leopards. They, that I have and I won't speak for anybody elses can lose points on a first tree because some fruitcake decided he was too loose on the tree. But I have one leopard that hangs his left foot on the bark and points like a birddog with his right foot while he is clocking out 120 BPM . Now if you want to go for style points , he has it and nobody elses does . If you need to minus his sister for meeting me ten steps off the tree AFTER the judge has determined all dogs were there and treeing, We Are going to have Questions... Change the written rule or abide by it.

Please understand that I am not argueing with you. you can tighten him up by the switch and also by not petting. I am saying just to me it is such a minor deal such as whether a dogs tree style is belly up on the wood or sitting back. A lot of that is breed dependent to a degree. It makes so little difference that if that is your dog's main flaw, you have a dang good dog.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:03 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

my dog met me last night off the tree.i was nearly to the tree and he came to me and in a split second he was back on the tree.i got to the tree and there was a coon sitting in it,i petted him and told him good boy tandy.lol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:34 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

skeets wrote:
my dog met me last night off the tree.i was nearly to the tree and he came to me and in a split second he was back on the tree.i got to the tree and there was a coon sitting in it,i petted him and told him good boy tandy.lol

LOL I'd kiss him ,After I saw the coon like you did. I'd just let my emotions run rampant.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:49 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

lollllllll the little devil wollerd in something dead and stunk to high heaven or i would gave kissed him.i walked about 5 hours before he treed dat un,i wished we had more coons around here cause iam getting to old to be walking at much lol.my wife asked me where i was hunting in case something happens to me,i told her just look for buzzards if i dont make it home cause aint nobody ever going to find me out there.lol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:27 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Lol Skeets !!! Trap u some city coons and turn them loose the stay put most of the time you won't have to walk so far if u keep them fed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:41 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

lol smokehunt,ive used buckets before but i aint put none out in over a year now, i reckon iam to lazy lol.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:51 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Lol I hear you

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

personally I would not scold the dog. I would hunt him for a month three or for times a week, tying him up as soon as I got to tree pet him up and let him tree for awhile.he is just saying look what I got dad. this should get him out of that habit and engrave a new [staying at tree.]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have to take the skoal out of my mouth every time I get to this post skeets had me dying laughing.