CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: treeing in a hole
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:23 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

treedog31 wrote:
any one that thinks a BROKE hound trees in a hole has no right to call them selves a houndsman. stick to point hunts if you dig him out of that circle point hole and get some + points.you must be young and un educated. not intersted in bickering bout this you hunt them your way but personally i like my dog above ground and treein up. you know...a finished hound. i got an army shovel ill sell you if your interested.i dont mean to provoke or offend , every one is intitled to an opinion.

first off i agree completely with coonscry and several others responses. second i dont comp hunt and cant remember seeing any pluses or minuses while catching critters.

you want to talk about a "broke" dog. a broke dog finishs a track no matter where it goes. plain and simple. what kind of broke dog would trail to a hole with a coon in it and quit??? i as much as anyone would love every critter to go up a tree but it doesnt happen everytime. where i live there are tons of old beaver holes the dogs end up not only treed on but in very often. dogs have been in for hours at times and quite often bring the coon out and catch or tree it afterwards. this rediculous mentality that every run has to end up on a tree whether theres a critter up it or not isnt doing any of the breeds a bit of good. dogs that run to catch no matter where it ends is a "BROKE" dog in my not so humble opinion. everyone is entitled to there opinioin though. happy hunting.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:25 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

im just sayin for the terrain around here,any hole around here would bea dog swallower and if a dog was to get hung in one like a root around his collar, the way its so hilly, you might not hear him or find him .and a dead dog is no good to any one. evidently there are two schools on this issue.we will just have to agree to disagree . i wont call names or slander any one over the way they choose to train a hound. if it suits you to let them tree a hole then more power to you.personally , i want my TREEING walker barkin up.i will give you that he finished his track in the hole. but will you see the coon in a hole ? i say not 99 out of 100 of them i dont like circle points or walkin that well so i choose not to let them do it.

As always , your friend in sport.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

as far as losing your dog, buy a garmin, when they go under ground you will lose signal but it marks last known point, i.e. the hole. as far as the dog going in i'm with all of you, i would like it not to happen either but any dog worth its salt is on the chase to catch, can't see working a dog over and beat them off of the one thing we are all tring to get them to chase

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:54 am 
IP:
Treedog31, your exactly the kind of person I called an idiot. As for my qualifications. I've had hounds for 15 years and hunted from Canada to south texas. I won't agree to disagree. I want my dogs to finish a track. Period. I don't care where its at. Where I live now I catch probably 80% of my coons on or in the ground. There just aren't many trees. I suppose I should just quit hunting because the terrain doesn't meet your standard. As far as points go...... You're a retard. I never said anything about points. I've been to one competition hunt in my life. They are a joke. If you want to see a real dog that has the critter over 99% of the time they tree (and the other 1% are exceptionally bushy trees) come on out to Utah. I'll show you around. In fact, I've got a place for you to stay and an empty kennel for your "finished dog". Quit trying to be an internet super hero and copying what everyone else says. Spend some time in the woods and be a HOUNDSMAN. Not someone who would whip their dog for catching good game in a bad spot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:01 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i didnt copy any one intentionally but this is exactly the kind of petty bickering i didnt want to get into.if you dont mind a hole treein dog, fine with me . i aint got time to argue over this . as far as your invite im sure some one like you would have trouble finding some one to hunt with you . if i didnt have any more character than to get on a computer and sler and call people ive never even met idiots and ignorant , id do some thing about it. ever hear of sportsmanship? i can see there is no sense talkin to you bout this. good day and happy hunting. posting any thing else in reply to you would be stupid and ignorant.i do respect you for knowing where you stand and standin up for wat you think tho.i guess expectin the same courtisy is askin too much.i aint no ones hero man, you just rude

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:45 pm 
IP:
If its real cold out coons do go in the ground.If you dont know that you must be uneducated or hard headed.Ive only seen my dog to it once in 10 years.The night that he did it the temp was bout twenty.He got treed but sounded muffled so i went to him and found him covered in blood and barkin at a old pop machine in the woods.He had cut his face on the rusty metal trying to dig under it.Well long story short i reached in the pop machine and draged the coon out and he killled it.Id never seeen that before.It wasnt long and he was treed again and sounded muffled.I went to him to find him in a hole.I pulled him back and i could see a coon tail so i thought what that heck i reached as far as my long arm would reach and pulled out the coon.Ended up treeind 3 more that night on the wood so i didnt make a big deal bout it.In the snow i see alot of coon trails going to holes.I wouldnt like it to happen offen or in warm weather.I dont make excuses for my dog, i know what there doing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:40 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ive never understood why people beat their dogs for treeing in a hole, the dog can help where the coon goes. Id ratherhave them show me where the coon went, then to shut up and come off of it like they lost it? What is the reasoning of not wanting them to do it?

Post subject: treeing in a hole
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:08 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Plottman25 wrote:
Ive never understood why people beat their dogs for treeing in a hole, the dog can help where the coon goes. Id ratherhave them show me where the coon went, then to shut up and come off of it like they lost it? What is the reasoning of not wanting them to do it?

If you've ever spent from midnight till well after daylight pulling apart an old beaver lodge to get out a stuck scared hound, while standing in 35 degree water up to your waist like I have il guarantee you'll never let your hound tree in a hole again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:47 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I live in Nebraska and hunt creeks. The last two nights hunting my Bluetick, he treed coons in holes. The coon was 8' feet back in a hole under a creek bank. The dog followed the coon in the hole. The hole opening was about 10" or 12 " in dia. When we got there the dog was in the hole. Stuck about five feet in. His collar hung on a branch. We dug him out. It took most of the night to get him out. The next night he did the same thing under an old car. We had to cut the floor out of the car to get him out. Both spots had coons. He only runs coons, never any trash. He is a great dog, I dont want to get him killed in a hole. Is it possible to stop him from going into holes, I dont want to beat him for doing his job. If he dies in a hole it will not do me any good either.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:41 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

2 words...shock collar..It worked for my 18 month old just determine the right time 2 do it. I done it when she would stick her head in.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:59 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a shock collar. I want the dog to chase the coon to the hole but just not to go into the hole. Really think that I may have to buy a backhoe if he keeps going in those holes. Is it possible to teach him to stand at the hole, bark and not go into the hole, or is that to much to ask. If so how do I do it.

Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:13 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I'm not a dog trainer buy any means. My pup would not tree at a hole just a few locate bawls go silent then not leave it alone. If it wasn't for my garmin it would've been really aggravating. From what little experience I have this worked for me. I would pull her away from the hole, and leave the leash on her. If she barked, nothing. But as soon as she put her head in it and started in after it....ZAP, pull her back out if needed but almost every time she would come scooting out backwards and just stand there looking like what the heck just happened and I never said a word to her. A few times of this and that's all it took for her anyways. Since then she hasn't worked any holes that I'm sure of but she hasn't hung around any for very long either. So it might not help you, idk. I know all dogs are different tho.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:07 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

To me it's not a bad thing to have your dog finish what they started,weather it's in a big tree,a hole or on the white house lawn!That being said we have more problems treeing in holes this year than ever before.With that being said I think the reason is because the female walker we have hasn't been completely singled out and she still a little slow on track and doesn't put enough pressure on the coon.With that being said I think a quick mouthy dog puts more pressure on them and puts them up quicker.All in all people who whip a dog for doing it should be whipped because it's not the dogs fault JUST DOING THEIR JOB!I'd rather take circle points than taking minus points for striking my dog and her stop when she gets to the hole!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:00 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Well I just pleasure hunt I don't mind them going to a hole. I just don't want my dog working it, digging around trying to get down in it to get stuck or killed. That's just me. I don't fault the dog for where the game goes. Just what it does once the game has gone up a tree or in a hole and ended the chase

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:36 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I don't like my dog treeing in a hole. For one, I don't have a tracking collar like most everyone else. I do plan on getting one though! It's to hard to find your dog when they get in a hole. When my dog gets in a hole, she shuts up and just digs. So I have to look all over and sometimes get lucky and find her. A lot of times I have to wait all night and she will eventually leave the hole and come back to me. My dog checks back in with me every 30 minutes or so. I know she's been in a hole when I can't hear her treeing somewhere and she checks back in hours later all torn up sometimes. I know my dog can't tell if the coon is a hole coon or not so I understand her chasing it to hole, but don't want her getting in hole. So I broke her by letting coon go behind my house in the day so I could see her chase it. There are holes everywhere back there and they almost always go in one. When I seen her go in hole after coon, I lead her back from hole without saying anything and turned her loose. When she went back in, I would holler at her and let her know I don't want that. I would turn her loose again and me hollering at her didn't work. So when she went back inside, I would hit her with leash to tell her no and holler at her and go back to house and leave it at that. That one time is all it took and my dog won't get in a hole anymore but will stay outside barking and whining when I get to her saying "please let me in there I'll get him out"! She wants my approval but I'll just lead her away. I'm fine with that but don't want to look for her for hours to find her in a hole.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next