CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post subject: Re: dog treeing possums
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:32 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

you break off the track.not off the tree.so simple

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:42 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My walker female will put a smiley up a tree only if she gets pissed when she doesn’t come across any coon, that’s my Q to find a new spot to hit. I agree just to crank there ear and take them off the tree. If they keep it up move up the level of punishment but in no way would I ever set a damn animal on fire to break a hound, that’s some cruel stuff there boys.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:33 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I trained hounds for years the best way i found to break a dog from trash is as folows.

1- After the possum or off game has been treed .Pull your dog away from tree and put him in its dog box. Then go back shoot the possum out and bring i t back to the dog.NEVER let the dog see you shoot a possum out of a tree. Take the dog s leash and strap the possum to one end of the lead,or tie a 6ft string or rope to his collar Open your dogs box and let him go to the possom. Once he puts his nose or mouth on him pop him with the E colllar on MID- high setting. This doesnt mean shock him till he falls over dead. Just pop him when he shows interest . After a few mins take the possum off the lead and discard .Continue a few time and eventually he will leave it be. It wont happen overnight .

2- if you dont have an e collar you can use the same steps as above just tie the possum on the dogs collar or take a part of the possum and let him carry him around for a few days,After a few time of it he will not want to mess with one anymore. Or he will get use to the smell and pass it by in the woods as normal .

Some dogs are just tree dogs and they have to tree something .
So this may work or not i have had some awsome dogs in the past with one fault , If they couldnt find a coon they would find a possum or diila. IF you cant train it out of them and it bothers you move on to new blood
. Some people like to eat possum too . lol

_

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:48 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Walkerstyle 74,

I have seen my granny use method number #2 we had a basset hound that would catch ducks and kill them she attached his kill to his collar and let hi drag it around for a few days the smell of the dead duck put him off so bad that he would never go around them again. something has to be said about the old timers and the simple ways to get the job done.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:37 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yeah the old timers methods do work. They have been around long enought to try everything .lol ! I like my e - collar with a mix of the old know how. I have actually used both methods .Tying a dead animal to a dog makes them stink so bad you wont handle them lol. I have cut off a rear foot or a good patch of hide taken some copper wire and tied it close to a collar for 4-5 days at a time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:43 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Oh yeah the way i learned was watching my granny tie a trash can to a dog we had when i was a kid. It was alway getting in the trash and stringing it all over the place . She tied that trash can to the dog and he had it on for a week or longer . Afrter the first couple days of trying to get it off he started sleeping in it .lol After she took it off he never got close to a trash can . You could take one by him and he would run off . It was so funnny. :mrgreen: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:18 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ok so if your dogs a real waterhead,
First tree the possum by whatever means necessary.
Then shoot it in the leg just right so it falls in your lap
Now to properly break the dummy spray him in the face with the brake wash( little on his ##*%* for extra credit)
Now siphon up some gas and soak your possum real good and light him up, (hopefully he won't run under your truck or into the barn)
Now the good part when the blind mad dog gets ahold of the medium well possum,, if you sprayed the break cleaner reallll good his head will catch fire and I promise he will never ever ever chase grinners again,
My mother in law told me that ol trick

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:02 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

put a bark collar on her and take her out with a possum dog thts how we broke my male

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

bluetickMOcooner wrote:
All u need to do is trap a possum..cut open its stomach..and put the dogs nose in it..it will stink and they will never do it again

Would this work for other animals like deer or skunks.

'PR' EAST TEXAS MAXIMUM X FACTOR (Treeing Walker)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:54 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I broke a dog of mine by if she treed one I would leash her back . And grab possum if could reach or if not I would shoot it. And lay it or hold in front of her and if she tried to grab it I would "discipline" her with it. And scold her. Then another dog we had we would catch a possum in trap let possum go during the day so very visable and dog and every time the dog went after it give her a " friendly reminder" not to mess with it with a "training collar". Now either dog will mess with one

SANDLAND KENNELS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:08 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Mrl I agree with you... Catching the possum and your dog on fire don't sound to great

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:58 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

An old man once told me how to handle this. He told me to let the dog tree the possum. Tie him up. Shoot the possum out of the tree. Let him loose to go get it. When he gets to it, whip is @$$. This shows the dog that treeing isn't the wrong thing to do, its what he treed that is wrong. This method works and doesn't confuse your dog.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7