It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:27 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

BCOCHRAN wrote:
man...my dog was getting out of the pen (digging,jumping,ect) so i tied her in the pen and you would believe how that has affected her leash training!!! She pulls a little bit, but she has learned how to manipulate that leash the best ive ever seen. shes not even 2 yo. i wont ever not tie one up!

ya this works well but if your not careful it can be fatel. if your not careful and the leads 2 long it will try 2 climb and make it over but not much more than that. tha momma dog of mine was tied up in her pin and she tried to climb and hung herself . i leave mine on a 50 foot lesh all the time and it helps a lil they learn when they are at home or tha woods and there limits. that comes with a lil trainin to

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: leash trainin
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:13 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

codybauer@marshfieldwi wrote:
When the dog is leashed then it pulls you sort of whap them on the back. It took my old stubborn dog about 2 weeks of hunting 3-4 times a week to fix him of that.-Old timer taught me that

thats excactly what i was taught xD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:26 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

JeremyW wrote:
codybauer@marshfieldwi wrote:
When the dog is leashed then it pulls you sort of whap them on the back. It took my old stubborn dog about 2 weeks of hunting 3-4 times a week to fix him of that.-Old timer taught me that

thats excactly what i was taught xD

That may be ok for an old dog that didn't get trained when it was young like it should had. But a young dog that just treed a coon shouldn't be handeled like that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:35 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I took my dog out when he was a month to 2 months for about 10 to 20 min and made him heel and if he didnt stay by my side i waped him on the back with the leash. I never had to work on that again i might have to give him a reminder from time to time but hes never pulled on the leash for me ever.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:24 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I guess these things will keep a dog from pulling your guts out. But I wouldn't call this leash training. If a dog is taught to heal RIGHT when you have a post or tree to the side of you. The dog will drop back behind you. Instead of wraping around it. It allso watchs you and don't ever get under foot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:55 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i train my pups young to come and to walk on a leash.....i use pinch collars to teach a stuborn hound to not pull other than that i just teach them to not put force on the leash or they get a jerk. with the inch collar on they dont like it and eventually they stop. my little 7 yr old bro walks 3 of my hounds at a time cuz they wont pull

Tanner's Get-R-Done Eagle (yote hound)
HHH Run The Beachs of Cheyenne (yote hound)
HHH Chubs Run Em' Down (yote hound)
HHH Checkers Did It Again (yote hound)
GVH Driver (retired mounted foxhunting hound)
Tanner's Wild Raf (yote hound)
Heather's Little Sammy (beagle)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:06 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

kycooner1 wrote:
I use a choker,,but as the above stated post says,,saying heel when you enforce correction is totaly wrong,,john wick also says do it this way,,but i'm telling you it is wrong.
Start off with dog by side give command,heel and start walking when the dog gets ahead of you ,use the choker with a quick jerk and say NO then imiedataly say, Good Dog,reason ,no stops bad behavior,and since they quit doing the bad behavior praise ,good dog,,then evry command you teach your dog ,when you use the choker,,whether its sit, come or stay ,you use the word No when you enforce the choker.
I call this putting a No in them,,after 3 weeks of this obediance training,,they will Know what the word No means,Meaning stop what your doing,,and it will go a long ways in other training down the road.

Exactly! That is exactly, how I approahed it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:35 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The best way I have found and it worked on my old hound and all my pups I e had since him. Is get a little switch before you leave the truck or keep a good one in the truck and as your walking, every time he tries to stick his head past your knee, tap (notice I said tap, not whip the ##*%* out of) the hound on the bridge o the nose. It does not hurt his ability to smell, it just annoys the hell out of him. They quickly learn to walk behind you not beside you. And last time I checked, switches are a lot cheaper than e-collars!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:46 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You don't have to have a choker ever tho they are really nice. If you have a lead with the chain link on the front part just take the lead and pop it over their back. They get the hint real quick

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:43 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

A riding crop will be your best friend here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:13 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

my red pup is pretty stong and strong willed. first few times i gave a jerk and command "walk". after a few times like that, if he got pulling, he'd land somewhere behind me. i only demand that he keep slack in the leash. he's doing real well now.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

What should I do with my 10 month old female. She's so freaking stubborn! Not timid at all. I don't believe in whipping my dogs bad,but I do whip her with the lead a little bit she won't stop pulling. What can I do?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Read everything dawg said. He has pretty much said everything you should do and it will train your dog. Everyone else is saying how to fix a problem not train a dog.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:56 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

younghunter43 wrote:
What should I do with my 10 month old female. She's so freaking stubborn! Not timid at all. I don't believe in whipping my dogs bad,but I do whip her with the lead a little bit she won't stop pulling. What can I do?

Get a leash made of soft material,braided rope or webbing about 6 feet long. Put the buckle on its collar straight on the spine at base of neck. Hook the leash and run it straight down the spine to right in front of the hips, take on under and around the belly then back threw. It cinched around there belly in front of the hips.
They will not pull. All you need to do is stop and they will stop. NEVER pull or jerk on the leash with this method because you probably could hurt them.
You can shorten or lengthen your leash to where you want them to walk. It only works for beside or walking ahead of you.
They will figure it out almost

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:07 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

younghunter43 wrote:

Get a leash made of soft material,braided rope or webbing about 6 feet long. Put the buckle on its collar straight on the spine at base of neck. Hook the leash and run it straight down the spine to right in front of the hips, take on under and around the belly then back threw. It cinched around there belly in front of the hips.
They will not pull. All you need to do is stop and they will stop. NEVER pull or jerk on the leash with this method because you probably could hurt them.
You can shorten or lengthen your leash to where you want them to walk. It only works for beside or walking ahead of you.
They will figure it out almost instantly how it works and just keep repeating it. I like to stop, wait for them to stand and say "walk" them move on. AS SOON,as they put pressure on it stop and say walk then continue.
I guarantee they will stop pulling hard when you do this instantly and with continued traing they will "walk"
I like to take my young dogs to busy areas or dog parks for practice other then when were hunting.