CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: chicken problem
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:38 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Anyone ever had a problem with a dog killing chickens . I turned a new dog loose and after about fifteen minutes heard her open . moved closer to her to hear a lil better and found her in my neighbor yard barking at chickens in cages. she got ahold of one that wasnt in a cage and luckily didnt kill it. i went up to the house and got my neighbor to come and check to see what damage she had done. we didnt find any dead but i feel like this could be a reoccouring problem. he pointed out 15 or 20 birds saying the were worth $500 each . i havent decided if im going to keep huinting the dog and try to break this or get rid of her and save having a problem with my neighbor . Any ideas on breaking this? i hate to get rid of this lil dog from what i have seen from her so far she is a good coondog and has already won in the hunts.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:40 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

keep the dog tied or in a kennel while at home and when you hunt try to stay away from farm houses that have chickens to the best of your ability ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:59 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

shocker or pet fence if you want to let her run a little. myself i would try to break her of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:16 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

IT WOULD BE HARD TO DO. WHAT IF SHE GETS UNTIED?

PR Miller's Mountain Moonshiner (Moon)
Give It All You Got With Plotts.
John Miller

Post subject: problem
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:31 am 
IP:
its not that hard kennel your dog get your self a couple of cheep chickens put them in a cage then put the shock collar on the dog put the chickens next to the kennel when the dog goes to bay then tell him no and give him a little juice try this for a time or two dont think it will take much then get the chicken out and put it in kennel if dog goes for it put it on him turn it up he will get the message hopefully this will do it

Post subject: chickens
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:18 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

this problem took place while out hunting . the guy lives on a little secetion of property right in the middle of my hunting land . as far as at home she is in a kennel. i thought about the shock method, i dont have a shocking system but have a buddy who does, my worry is after doing that ,then turning her out again with out a shocker she might go right back. this is my only place to hunt so avoiding chickens is out of the question. if she is liike me at a younger age any time i got in trouble for something i just got better at not getting caught next time i did it .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:54 pm 
IP:
If you're lucky your buddy might let you use the shocker for a couple weeks, or off and on. Make sure to get the dog used to the shocker before you ever zap him, so he doesn't associate the collar with the zap. I'd do the direct zaps with the staged chicken confrontation, then send him on a hunt, with the shocker, and zap him if he approaches the chickens. LOL, you could even let a chicken loose in the hunting area and stage that also. Dogs can be sneaky, but if you get enough zapping scenarios, where they don't know that YOU zapped them, they learn pretty quick. I've learned through only two encounters that you don't stick your fingers in light sockets because it hurts. If I knew my parents were making it hurt then yes, I'd be sneakier (though why I'd want to do it would be silly).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:18 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

staging a chickedn scene is a good ideal. but you might want to get a dummy collar for when you dont have the shocker.

Post subject: chickens
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:27 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ive got a rooster and stated her out with enough line to get too it. she seemed more to be playing with it than trying to kill it. i gave her a low shock on 1 when she messed with it. she dont wont any part of it while im watching . i drove down the road and when i came back she was barkin and scratchin at it cage . gave a lite shock on 3 and came in the house to watch her for a while so far she wont get close to the thing maybe this will work . im goin to hunt her tonight at my buddys place where we wont have to worry about it and tomorrow night im goin back to my place . gonna let my neighbor know when i go so he can keep his eye out for her and im gonna keep a close check on her with the tracker so if she starts his way i can get up there and catch her . my neighbor used to coonhunt so he is kinda understanding but too he doesnt want to loose any chickens . most of them are in cages but he does have a few on tie outs . myself if i had chickens i would have them all in cages if i didnt wont to worry about something getting them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:44 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

don't let the dog know your doin the shockin. stay out of sight. lay him out whenever he goes to the chicken

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: chicken
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:41 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

well i went ahead and sold her. my buddy wanted her so i figured id get my money back before i found any more faults with her. the chickens wount be a problem for him he just wont be able to bring her to my place to hunt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:03 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

well next time you have a chicken problem with a dog one thing that works. Is if you can get a dead chicken like your neighbors that just died. Tie the dead chicken to your dogs collar and leave it for a couple days. When that chicken starts to stink a little bit your dog will be sick of it. THe chicken smell is so strong and your dog cant get away from it so it makes them sick and they dont want no part of it. Then the next time your dog crosses a chicken trail it will not want to deal with it.

Post subject: Re: chicken problem
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:56 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

This is going to raise a few eyebrows but here we go.
i raise game chickens, i have several roosters worth ungodly ammounts for chickens. i baught a dog at a local dog trade, he was starved to death acted like he had been beatin and was just an odd ball but i LOVED the dog have no idea why. so i baught him for 25 bucks not expecting him to be worth a nickel.

he loved chickens, i shocked him, i switched him, you name it we done it.
my dads friend came over, we was messing with the dog and he got away from us and went stright for a rooster on a tie out cord and killed it. he said "you give me 10 bucks to break it and if it kills any more chickens i'll pay for them" and i said heck yeah.

he took a peice of electric fence and wraped that dead chicken up in it. hooked it to the fence box and tossed it outside, pluged it up and turned the dog loose. every time that dog would go for that chicken it would shock it, he tryed 4 or 5 times and walked away, well he came running back like a sneak attack and it shocked him once more. now i use him as protection for my chickens i have him fenced into my chicken yard. he doesnt hunt worth much but he kills anything that comes into the chicken yard besides chickens, he has not touched a chicken since.
just a little peice of mind.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:14 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

If a kid is putting his hand in the cookie jar before dinner you swat his hand. If he is putting his fingers in the electric socket you bust his assssssss and put the fear of god in him. So he will never do it behind your back. Then you sneak around and watch when he thinks your not looking. Just to make sure you did a good job.
A dog is no differance. You bump one with little elec. to train. BUT to break from something like that either put the fear of god in it or save your self money and hard feelings with your neighbor and get rid of the dog. The elec. fence wire will work on some but not all. I use to poisen proof dogs like that.
I would be afraid that some day it is going to have to much temptation. You know the coon are going to be after those chickens and even if the dog didn't do it nobody is going to be able to prove it. If that is were the coon is when the dog is running it. It may decide to stop and have lunch.
I wish you luck but I would get rid of the dog. If you don't own a e collar borrowing one won't do much good. It will know the collar did it and if you don't get a dog in the habbit of minding. Just like a kid-- they only do it when you are watching.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:51 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

use a shock collar and if the dog gets collar smart make or buy a dumby collar. To make a dumby collar get a cheap collar similar to the real deal. Take to bolt heads and leave them sticking out so they touch the neck.put these bolts through a block of wood about the size of the real deal.Just be a little creative.