CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:00 pm 
IP:
I'm not trying to stir any trouble here, but I'm sorry to say that there is no magic number of coons shot out to a dog that will make them click. If it were that simple all dogs would eventually turn out. It takes alot of time and patience to make a coondog, and shooting out 20 coon to them isn't going to do it. Time in the woods wearing out your boots is what makes a coondog, and if they have it in them you don't need to shoot out any coons to make it click. We've all seen the ads advertising that a dog just needs "a few more coon" to make a coondog, and anybody who has been playing this game for long should know that what that really means is "Please take my worthless dog off of my hands."

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:33 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

You are right, there is no magic number. However, dogs form understandings and habits after repeating the same thing over and over. Humans do the same thing. I don't remember the scientific number of how many times you have to do something before it becomes a habit. Shooting 20 coons out on a dog is accomplished by what you said. Getting in the woods and wearing out them boots!

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:02 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Hispanicpbh wrote:
HighRolinHank,

Have you worked with him much? What does he do with fresh drags? When you get a puppy out of the box that isn't doing much yet, he will usually be very playful and unfocused.

Hunt him with another good coon hound (that isn't mean at the tree) if you can. Turning coons lose on a dog is good. There is something about the number 20 (coons shot out on a dog) that just makes them click. Keep hunting the dog and get his mind on coon. A lot of dog training has to do with his natural insticts, time, and maturity. He will bark as he matures.

He's still young!

yeah thats what i was thinking but he just seems more focused when i take him alone. and my squirrel dog will tree squirrels and in squirrel season we shot a squirrel out to the coon dog when he was only 4 months old and the squirrel unded up biting him pretty good but when my squirrel dog trees the coon dog is right there with him wining at the tree! should i stop taking him out with the squirrel dog. we dont shoot them out now cuz its not season and my buddy that has the coon dogs isnt running right now. so what should i do. i wanted to take them out tonight but not sure if i should bring the squirrel dog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:42 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I don't think it will hurt him as long as you don't see him learning any bad habbits.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:54 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Hispanicpbh wrote:
I don't think it will hurt him as long as you don't see him learning any bad habbits.

no i dont think any bad habbits are gonna be learned besides treein squirrels i dont want another squirrel dog hhaha but my squirrel dog will tree the heck outa coon to. but my coon dog is 6 months old and do you think thats to young to let him loose on a coon if he is willing or what. cuz i wont force him to if hes not ready then its ok. but you dont think it would hurt do u?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:20 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Razordogs wrote:
I'm not trying to stir any trouble here, but I'm sorry to say that there is no magic number of coons shot out to a dog that will make them click. If it were that simple all dogs would eventually turn out. It takes alot of time and patience to make a coondog, and shooting out 20 coon to them isn't going to do it. Time in the woods wearing out your boots is what makes a coondog, and if they have it in them you don't need to shoot out any coons to make it click. We've all seen the ads advertising that a dog just needs "a few more coon" to make a coondog, and anybody who has been playing this game for long should know that what that really means is "Please take my worthless dog off of my hands."

I hate to say it, but I disagree. I feel that dogs do "click". Whether it be a coon shot out to them, the smell of blood, fighting a coon, catching one on the ground, or hitting a red hot track on their own.

Like it was said before, all dogs are different. Different things can make them "click". I have seen it first hand. It happens!

OAKS POINT KENNELS
JOE CULLER

HOME OF:
GRNITECH CH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE
'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:33 pm 
IP:
I agree that dogs just click. My point was that there is not a magic number of coons shot out to them that makes it happen. It is different for every dog. For some it might be 20 coons shot out. For others it might be 200. While for others it just might be that first super-hot track. Regardless what it is that your dog needs to make it click, the only way to make it happen is to keep them in the woods, and don't expect the number 20 to do anything magic for you.

Post subject: I think
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:34 pm 
IP:
I think yyou all have some good points but let me say one of the best coon dogs I have ever owned only had 2 coons in her life shot out to her I dont make it a habit because sometimes it becomes a habit that it hard to break for example a tree happy dog when youshoot coon after coon out to a dog he will form the habit of layin on a tree wiatin for the coon to hit the ground as this can become a problem prices havent been worth the bullet to shoot the out for but i understand that lots of ppl think the more you shooot the better your dog is going to be not always the truth.If I can say one thing for youall to think about is our hounds rae treeing dogs not supposed to be kill dogs the r rewarded for useing thier noses not thier teeth justsomthing to think about!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:18 pm 
IP:
Frame, I couldn't agree with you more. I rarely shoot out a coon. I wouldn't own a dog that needed coon shot out to it to keep it interested.

Post subject: ??? think so??
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:17 pm 
IP:
thanks razor but every one has the right to try and do it thier way just my 2 cents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:08 pm 
IP:
There certainly is more than one way to skin a cat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:55 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

That is true. Over and over again, the key is getting them in the woods as often as possible and where the coons are thick if possible!

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:12 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

well i took the dogs out again the other night and the pup stays kinda close to me and this woods i went with is my buddys and they dont let ANYONE hunt on it and we dumped the dogs off and 3 minutes later my squirrel dog got on in a hole so we took them the other side of the woods about 70 yards away and he treed a small coon and that pup of mine jumped on the tree and he knew there was a coon up there and put his legs up there like hes supposed to just didnt bark but he wined and wined! soo i think hell eventually catch on! i hope lol but he needs to get away a lil more wich he is progressing on. but i wish it was season so i could shoot that coon out to him!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:15 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I know what you mean. Praise him, and treat him.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:56 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

what age should you introduce a gun shot? How should you go about doing that?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next