CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:50 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I just figure the key is.Shock them and make sure they know why your shocking them.No I've never just took a young out out.Strapped a shocker on it for the first.Then go to shocking it for barking...You shock one in the pen for barking.Does it make them afraid of the pen???? If not why and whats the difference? Really I dont know.Not trying to be a smart butt but I cant see any difference...

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:09 am 
IP:
I assume its the method in which you are administering the shock and the different environment. They were talking about repeatedly shocking a dog (not for barking) while driving down the road with a carcass in the box with it. Is that dog gonna know that boogy man aint in their the next time?

The mistake I made was shocking one of mine to make it come out of the box. I had to spend a good bit of time with that dog to get it to go back in it again. I assume you had alreadt associated your dog with a shock for nuicence barking before you attempted it in the tighter more confined space of a box box? I guess there is a right and wrong way to do almost anything. Personally, I won't be shocking mine in the box anymore. It just aint worth it. I might drag one out and beat its butt but I won't be shocking in the box again.

I saw a guy shock his for nuicence barking once. When we got ready to turn out, the dog was trembling in fear and he had to drag it out. Then when we got through, the dog didn't even wanna go near the truck much less the box. He finally got him shoved back in. Its just not wortyh it to me but if you are having good luck with it, you must be doing something right. I've only been fooling with dogs off and on for 25 years and treedogs only for 8-9 of that so I still have alot to learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:43 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Mine start getting associated with a shock collar as soon as they are big enough to carry it... I always try the whoopings on them first.If that dont work.I go to the shocker. I'm with yall on the dead animal in the box deal.I'd never do that!!!!! I'd rather the whippings work.Seems like a dog gets more out of them but if they dont the old shocker comes out. I've never had one with bad dillar problems. One I'm hunting now ran one..She had it in a hole and a dead POSSUM next to the hole lol!!!!!!! I had a very intensive talk with her on that deal... The very next turnout.She treed another possum...Dangit.That was the straw that broke the camels back..We had an even worse conversation then...Now she dont mess with either!! KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:00 am 
IP:
My experience is that you have to know your dog and to what lengths you need to go to. I have one dog that a swat on the butt and a stern word does absolute wonders. My other dog... if you lay into him with your hands at some point he'll start cowering and growling. He has a history of being beaten so hitting him is a bad deal. The shocker is great for him because he understands his action causes pain, but has no clue that I'm responsible.
I find it interesting that putting chemicals in the hole works, since the dog sees you do it. I'm amazed that they don't figure that out, but I hear a lot of success stories with it so that's pretty cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i was told when a dog bay a armadilla a hole and you can see pull your dog bog and tie him up just out of reach pour gas or lighter fluid on the armadilla and light him up and it will put out the worst smell there is that you will not even be able to stay there and that will make them not want anything to do with another one.

Post subject: dillo
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:09 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

We have done what fowlhabit is talking about and I coulden't smell it watch out because they come out of the hole wide open. Shoot the dillo so you don't light the woods on fire.

THE THREE STOOGES

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:29 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I got a 13 mo female that will get on an armadillo every now and then. she is skittish how do i break her?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:01 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i was told to catch a dillo in his back foot will fit inside the loop of a dog double end snap and snap it to collor of dog in let the dillo kick him in rub his neck raw for a day.

burning an armadillo? Ive never heard that dont see how it could work. Dog will eat stuff you wont want to smell.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:25 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Couple weeks back, I had for 4 hounds put one in a hole..........today, I brought something home this evening to help on fixing that problem.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:13 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am still working on the shyness, I have been workning with her for a few days now and am seeing good progress with our bonding, the guy i got her from said she is a one person dog but im working on that too. going one step at a time to work towards breaking her from getting on a dillo. thanks for all the suggestions