CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Making the coon look
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

What is the best to make a hard to find coon open his eyes any recommendations on certain types of squaller or any other method ?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:30 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Have someone beat on the tree with a club or shake a vine while you look.

OAKS POINT KENNELS
JOE CULLER

HOME OF:
GRNITECH CH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE
'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU

Post subject: making a coon look
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:56 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

You can sometimes squall with a squaller or your mouth and most of the times they will look.

THE THREE STOOGES

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:40 am 
IP:
I often hunt alone so I am not in the position to have somebody else beat in the tree while I look. Recently purchased a sqawler but due to not enough practice I only have marginal success with that. I sometimes whistle and make kissing sounds with my mouth just like I do with deer. Myself, I stand back from the tree somewhat rather than stand right below the coon and have more success seeing the eyes that way. I'm also more likely to see its shape in the tree when I'm at that angle.

Post subject: seeing coon
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:57 pm 
IP:
i find probably more then not with my lights off. unless its pitch black overcast you can useually see a lump in trees with your light off. providing all the leaves are off iv never had too good a luck squallin, noise making flashing. of anykind either.

Post subject: coons
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:04 pm 
IP:
some coons just will not look. no matter wat you do, and then there is some that will look anyways it just depends i guess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:29 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

we have some luck squallin every now and then... i aint never found one w/ my light off but i guess i aint that good... we usually bang on trees and vines and squall... if we dont find him just call it slick mess w/ my buddy about how his dog is just a slick treein english and turn em loose again... when she hears us talkin about her she usually proves us wrong on the next one!!

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

a techniqe that i just started using that has been working well is to find a spot back away from the tree were i can see the tree the best i can and mark it then go on the other side of the tree from that spot and tie your dog or dogs up there. then go back to your spot set there and dont make a noise or shine your light or anything for about 15-30min. then quitly shine your light and u should see him or a glance of an eye then when u do unload in that spot tell you hear that thump noise it makes when you hit one. i just started this a week ago but it has worked 4 out of 4 times for me so far. good luck and good hunting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:08 am 
IP:
Ivegotthecoonitch made a good point about turning your lights off and just looking for the lump. My husband can see the coon 10x faster than I can, every time, which never ceases to make me sore because I'm the hunter. Last night was a case in point... dogs were bawling and I had my LED light on my head and just could not find it. He shined it and pointing and holding my head in the direction and I still couldn't see it. Turned off all the lights and I saw the lump immediately. All the leaves and bramble just disappeared with the lights off! Found a good angle to shoot at, then had to shoot with the lights off to make the best shot. I was hesitant about it all even with my husband's assurances that it was a safe shot, but the coon was dead before he hit the ground. Sure had to eat crow on that one! You can sure bet that I will turn my lights off every time to find him now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:11 am 
IP:
Forgot to add... after you've found him with lights off I'd still shine him so you can angle a good shot rather than just shooting him in any old spot on his body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:11 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i use a dim light with a red lens and a coon squealler .... it works well but not every coon will look no matter what you do ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:40 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Climb up and pinch em!! This never fails for me!!

Steve

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:26 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

where i hunt there is anything from 70ft cottonwoods to cedar trees and everything in between, and i always do a quick visual, and from there try different angles, and distances from the tree. you have to learn to slow down and find anything that resembles a coon whether a tail or fur and not just hope he looks at you. they dont get old by being dumb.

good luck hunting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:15 am 
IP:
first off turn yer light way down,ive said it once i'll say it again,anything over about 15volts is to much all these super high power lights is just a way to get money from you,9 times out of ten folks get to the tree , crank up their light and look,well now yer shining a welding arch up there and they wont look, if you can't sqall with yer mouth than forget itmost squaller are junk the sound is rediculouse,i can make a better sounding squall with a dieing rabbit call,if you still can't find it turn off yer light,creep out about 100yds turn quick with light on low most times you can just catch them,but than you will now were to look,and also watch yer dog,my dogs will be right under the coon on the same side of the tree as coon treeing were the scent is strongest,all foks got tricks,i seen folks use a peice of lit paper,the flame is hard to resist,and old timer would make me turn off the lights and he would pull out a harmonica and play a few seconds and than turn yer light on quick,they would look every time,a small bell on a dogs coller works to,improvise,got a new Marshal collar with the green light,now every coon around looks at it,or bring a kid,my 12year old son has been able to march the cowards right out of a tree squalling since he was 4 ,there was a few months were he lost a tooth and it didn't sound right,lol

Post subject: Finding Coon!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:28 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I use a squaller and a amber lense. I find the majority of them but not all. I will sometimes walk away about 100 yards or so and then reshine the tree and occasionally I will see some eyes looking at me. That is why we call it hunting and not killing.....

GOOD LUCK!