CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:04 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

bluejoe13 wrote:
also does anyone know if this will lead to fighting over tree or other situations?
YES, if a dog is allowed to be possesive over a dead coon,it will have a good chance to get ill on the tree too.also,if a dog is allowed to be aggressive toward another dog over a dead coon,it sometimes will get just as aggressive toward YOU over a dead coon.work on em hard as soon as you see it in them,or the problem will seep into all activities the dog encounters.you can't break what you aint got, if a dog acts like this and you dont stop it,you wont have a decent dog anyway.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:43 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Yea and don't wait till it is a fight either. First sign of agression, thump him. If I see it in there eyes I will thump them. If they growl the correction is more harsh and if they smap or attack I will beat the crap out of them till they submitt. Then a little after even. Just so they remember it the next day or two. They have to not be afraid of you BUT they have to know you are willing and ABLE to kill them for trying to intrude on your authority. Just like a kid. They don't feer you but they have to feer the consiquences for putting there fingers in a electric socket or playing with your gun. Or atleast the kids use to. Now they just trie to make it imposible for a kid to get to anything instead of getting that kind of respect out of them.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i whipped him pretty good the last time he fought over a coon but tonight i believe that i,ll have them all leashed before shooting the coon out. when i have them leashed they wont be able to fight but will the aggresion go away or will it arise later at other oppurtunities? what im asking is will he start fighting on tree even if i don,t let the situation arise to fight over a coon?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:19 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Yes it will. It is a respect and dominance thing. Like a kid you can put the candy bowl out of reach but the lack of DISCIPLINE is still there.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:27 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

someone told me to leash the dogs just outa reach from each other and jump in when the pup shows aggresion will this work or just reinforce aggresion

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:09 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

It will help but you may still have to do it again when they are together on a coon. Another thing you can do is let hem have a coon big enough to give hem all the fight he wants. Then let the other dog loose to help him finish it. But allways take the dogs off when the coon is dead. Leash one up at a time and make them let go. That is a respect and disiplien thing. It reminds them every time they fight a coon who is the leader and they have to obey. Don't trick them out of it or jump threw hoops to get it. Command them to drop it. Then choke them till they do. All you have to do is lift there front legs off the ground by there collar and wait. If they don't drop it soon enough for you. While you have there front legs off the ground you can switch the bridge of there nose. Don't worrie about breaking them from fighting coon. A bird dog fetches birds and places them in your hand. A coon dog can do the same thing if you want to train them to. So droping it isn't a unreasonable request. Just pet them as you leash them up before you give them the new command to drop it.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:40 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

bluejoe13 wrote:
what im asking is will he start fighting on tree even if i don,t let the situation arise to fight over a coon?
it can.and if it is bred into the dog ,nothing you can do will stop a dog from being ill if it is in their breeding. making them worthless. if it is in their breeding,no amount of beating,shocking or even casturation will stop it.but,i have seen alot of dogs that were possesive over a dead coon that never became tree fighters.to me though,it only makes sense that if a dog will fight over a dead coon,it will sooner or later fight over the tree the coon is in.the problem of them catching a coon on the ground will arise sooner or later too.
my advice is to not go around the problem,hit it heads up and fix it.if it can be fixed.hardly anyone will admit their dog is ill. but,check your dogs ped for ill dogs.try and find out if other dogs in its breeding or any of its littermates show the same problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:09 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

hey Grady will u give me a call i have a question to ask u about my dog
marcus 205 792 1938

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:56 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

KentuckyWindage wrote:
Hoping someone can help me out, here.

We're pleasure hunters, and we usually get 3 dogs out each weekend night. The dogs have been doing really, and I mean really good (12 coons in the last 13 drops). We're having a problem though, and I need some advice.

None of our dogs want to let go of the coon after it's dead. The 2 younger dogs (20 months and 12 months) just want to tug on it.

Our best dog, who is slightly more than 3 years old, will let go of the coon, keeping his head just over it and look at one of the others. As soon as that dog moves the coon, he jumps him.

He hasn't hurt either dog, and seemingly isn't trying to hurt them (he could if he wanted to, he weighs about 80 pounds). When I say he jumps them, he gets over their head and forces them to the ground. He hasn't broken skin on either dog. I know this is just a show of dominance; a sort of Alpha dog syndrome but I don't care, I want it to stop and fast. We've been whipping him with a stick about the diameter of a U.S. quarter. It seems to me that it doesn't really phase him, he lets go once his dominance has been proven.

Right now we don't have a shock collar, but that is going to be our next purchase. Will the shocker help this?

Someone told me we were shoting too many coons out to him. I understand what he meant, but we're shooting about 1 out of 3 to them right now. If we shoot many fewer than that, I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy 'coon running' as opposed to coon hunting. If that's the only thing causing this, I guess we'll just start running 1 dog at a time because I'm not crazy about leaving 8 or 9 coons out of 10 in the tree.

Any advice, even if it's something I already posted here, would be appreciated.

what i do is dont give em time to fight over it... i tie my dog to the closest tree to the tree that it treed on and when the coon hits the ground i let them off one at a time then make em give it to me. then i let the other dog have and so... just dont give them all a chance to fight over it... or should i just say dont let the dog claim it

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:55 am 
IP:
well what me and my buddies do is tie all dogs up EXCEPT the one who we heard treed first..then shoot the coon out let that dog get is chance with it..then the others..if they dont let it go BLOW IN THERE EARS!! it always works for me and my buddies or we tug the lead rope NOT HARD but enough for them to know and say DEAD! idk if this will help anyone but it did me..and by the way shock collars wont do nothing but make them more aggressive..told by my vet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:33 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

most of the time when you have a fight over a dead coon its because they are left to maul it together for too long after its dead.

Post subject: First Dead Animal
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:07 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Played tug-war with my pup using a dead squirrel. It was a different game from the rag we usually use. He takes off with the squirrel running around playing keep-away. When i finally got hold he had a death grip. Didn't know his jaws were that strong! He growled too. Wasn't playing. The rag game is much easier.

Post subject: Re: First Dead Animal
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:11 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Don't ever let a dog get away with growling at you or being aggressive. The minute he growled at you, you should have set him in his place right then and there.

King Wildlife Control
647-217-6225

Post subject: Re: good advice.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:29 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

RPO Sr. wrote:
dominate dogs do force the lesser dog on its back. Very good technique for training a dog of your dominace. Good advice there.
Very interesting. Now i know this technique, i believe i'd even get him on his back and straddle his chest, maybe even slap his nose a few times.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:33 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

It does work huck but you have to be very careful with some dogs with that technique. Putting a dog on its back is a sign if dominance, but can also be seen as a sign of aggression and some dogs can get pretty rangy when you do it. Also you have to make sure you can win the little wrestling match. If you lose with an aggressive dog you could be in ##*%*!!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next