CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: silent on track
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:38 pm 
IP:
i have a 2 yr. old smokey river female . she will flat knock the top out of the tree, but she isnt vocal on track! and it seems to me that she has lost alot of her "drive" . she just walks around in circles not goin more tham 20 yds . from me . but when the other dogs open she goes to them , but when i hunt her alone she just hangs around, like she doesnt know what to do . and i know better than that. any ideas?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:17 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

might want to take her to the vet or if she is fat and out of shape then feed her less and hunt her harder.

Post subject: Lazy Dog
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:22 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I agree with burdette. However, if she is not sick or overweight she might be over hunted. I have seen good dogs that are hunted to much loose interest in hunting. If that is the case lay her up for four to six weeks and start taking her out for one tree once or twice a week and she will pick back up.

I have always loved coon hunting since I was a child. My dad and I mostly hunted walkers and always did great with them. However, I dont even own a walker now. I have fell in love with blueticks. Happy Hunting Everyone!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:12 am 
IP:
STOP HUNTING THIS DOG WITH OTHER DOGS!!!!! RUN HER ALONE UNTIL SHE SARTS TREEING COON ON HER OWN!!!!! If you don't it sounds like the best she may ever be is a me-too dog. She is already a me-too dog based on how you described her in your post. You say in your post that alone she just walks around like she doesn't know what to do, but that you know better than that. How can yo know that? It's what she does unless there is another dog there to do it for her. Take that dog out alone from now on, and keep doing it until she starts running and treeing regularly by herself!!! I am also curious, did this dog open on track as a pup? Just a guess but if she did and doesn't now, it could be that she only opened then because she was trailing the old dog. Now that she is older she is able to keep up and doesn't have to do anything to get rewarded other than be at the tree treeing when you get there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:35 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

One of our female dogs, Lady, really benefits from being layed up a week or two when she seems to loose her spunk. She is normally a hard hunting, hard tree dog but every couple months she will just seem to loose some of her drive and act lazy and will slick tree on you. We put her up a few weeks and hunt the others and when she comes out of the pen, she's full blast.

RBIMBS CCH CH PR' Warrior River Medusa
CCH GRCH AKC CCH PR' Kayla's Lil Bit of Honey
UWP CCH GRCH PR' Warrior River Karma N Effect
UWP CH Warrior River's Gap Creek Piper
CH Cross Check's Warrior River Rimfire

~Gone But Always In My Heart~
CH AKC CCH PR' Kayla's Copperhead Baby Boy
GRCH PR' K&Z's She's Krazy Hammered
SHR CH North River Big Jake, JH
http://www.warriorriverkennels.com

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:00 am 
IP:
well for one silence on track isnt that bad of a thing because it will give a coon less chance to den up mainly because your dog is on the coon before the coon even knows it. secondly, my dog was like that at the beginning of the season walk through the woods with it a bit and once it hits a hot track it will do the rest if its trained correctly. so once it hits a hot track it will venture out ion its own and learn its ok to be alone in the woods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:28 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I think Razor has got this one right......I've seen way to may dogs that "shine" when they are running with other dogs and the next hunt by themselves, they are polishing boots. Me-too dogs!!! Get her out by herself on good ground and let her work. It might take a little home-work on your part by going out by yourself during daylight hours to find fresh coon sign, but it will be well worth the effort.

greggf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:42 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I agree run her by herself it might take a couple times, btu she'll catch on eventually. Right now she thinks the other dogs can just do the work for her.

Post subject: Re: silent on track
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 10 month old red bone. He will sound at tree but not on the track at all. What can I do to work on him sounding on track? Is it his age and would hunting him with a older dog work?
Thanks for the advice in advanced

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:21 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

There's really nothing you can do. Opening on track is not a learned behavior....its instinct. Most hounds open quite a bit....some not at all. It doesn't affect their coon treeing ability.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:41 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Razordog sounds very logical. I like his thoughts. Your gonna have to spend ALOT of time in the woods with that hound but if you are very patient and bond with that girl, she-ll make.
My 10 mos. M Walker is silent on the track "just started" and I love it cause I aint chasin him around the woods and I enjoy him checking in too!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Preblecounty wrote:
There's really nothing you can do. Opening on track is not a learned behavior....its instinct. Most hounds open quite a bit....some not at all. It doesn't affect their coon treeing ability.

He is loud as soon as he sees a coon but not whenhe is tracking. Maybe he will pick it up the more I hunt him.
Thanks for the help

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:16 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

He is way too young (as far as his exposer to coon) to know if he is gonna be open or silent. a lot of times they wont open on the track of a drag or released coon.
he opens when he see it because he wants it and he gets excited... once he wants it bad enough he will more than likely open when he just smells it too. more exposer to coon and you'll probly hear him open on wild coon tracks he tries to work .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:21 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
He is way too young (as far as his exposer to coon) to know if he is gonna be open or silent. a lot of times they wont open on the track of a drag or released coon.
he opens when he see it because he wants it and he gets excited... once he wants it bad enough he will more than likely open when he just smells it too. more exposer to coon and you'll probly hear him open on wild coon tracks he tries to work .

Ok, thanks much tc