CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: coondog running bear
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:25 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Just wondering if i could get some help from you fella's with a lot of experience.. I have a 3 year old female that is a good accurate coon dog here in nc.. My parents live in wv and i was up during thanksgiving for a week to hunt with my dad and ran into some problems.
My female started running bear. That messed up my whole week because everytime we went she would strike one.( coons are scarce in those parts) People are saying its easier to find a bear track than coon.. Anyways to make a long story short i am looking for help.. I heard that if you buy some bear scent and put it on like a wrist band or something like atheletes wear, and put it over the dogs collar that the dog will get so disgusted with the smell they wont run it any more..
Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Allen

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:34 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

well im from nc to and theres alot of bears here.but where ur at if there wasnt many i wouldnt worry about. but if there was i would dump her on a good bear track and shock her when shes runnin it or sell her to me lol i have been lookin for a good strike dog on a bear.

MOLLY
KATE
ROWDY
OTIS
*****PUPS ON THE WAY*****
CANEY FORK KENNELS SYLVA, NC
JORDAN COOPER AND JESSE STEPHENS
http://i29.tinypic.com/14vjv3p_th.jpg

Post subject: coon hound after bear
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:31 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

my old dog and a 9 mth old pup got after 2 smaller bears and treed them all night before I could get to them and I didnt have a chance to shock them either.how bad was this for my pup?is it common for coon hounds to run bear? my old dog has never run anything other than a coon before and I think they run right up on the 2 bear last night and thats why they got after them.My question is will this become a major problem now that they had a night of it???? I didnt go all the way to the tree .I called them back and didnt scold or praise

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:43 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

You don't know how lucky you are.I wouldn't trade one good bear dog for 5 coon dogs,i think you are just bragging.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

defintly not bragging LOL !!!! I have no use for a bear or a bear dog. no disrespect just not my thing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:48 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i know what you mean, my dog ran a bobcat all night last night i think it was a bobcat. they will keep runnin trash unless you shock em. as soon as their treed and your walkin to them and they stop treein and they move and tree again, there prob runnin trash, id shockem as soon as they start movin, as long as their treein hard. on the bright side you could sell that to a bear hunterfor big bucks if hes striking on bear. good luck

GRNITECH GRCH HARDING'S ACE
pr' HARDING'S HARDWOOD KAT
pr' HARDING'S HIGH FIVE

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a four year old finished bluetick who before this year had never run junk in his life and twice this past fall in two different areas he ran and treed two bears. first a 2nd year cub with the mother still on the ground and the last a 250 pounder. I know that coon and bear are very closely related genetically Im pretty sure they belong to the same phylum and class taxonomically. But how close are their scents related, can a dog that has never been trained on bear but just coon get them mixed up? any info is helpful

Post subject: Re: coondog running bear
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:23 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

They say they do smell alike, I dont know, dad told me they used to tell him bear smells like a old wet blanket, ???? lol if that makes sense, I think they should tell the difference. a dog can never run trash, then one night if they do, and they start liking it,watch out!! its bad when your dogs go out of hearing and walk into bear S**T in the middle of trail and steam is coming off it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:49 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i how been told if the dog will run a bear, he will run a coon... i have 2 that will run both..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

me and my cousin got into bear hunting cause he had three dogs in a row stop running coon and started bear. we liked it better to so we switched over to bear with them instead of getting rid of them. but if thy get the fever to run bear then you might as well switch with them or sell them. all three of those dogs have no desire to run coon anymore. all they want is bear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:26 pm 
IP:
Bears and coons DON'T smell the same. Dogs can smell the difference between individual animals of the same species so there is no doubt they can smell the difference between species. You need to send all of those trashy bear dogs to me and I'll take care of them for you. I can't imagine any one prefering to chase coons over bears. Not that had good bear dogs anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Wish i could run bear in pa but according to the fish and game commission hunting big game with dogs is "not sporting" which I call horse ##*%*. I guess the see it as more sporrting to hunt bear with 20 pushers and 5 posters killing any bear that gets spooked.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I agree with coonscry. I got a hell of a good hound for u that will only run coon. Got beat up one time in a corn field. In saying that, when u let him go and he runs into a bear track he'll beat u to the truck and pretty much loads himself.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:38 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

there not mixing up the scents a regular dog can smell the diffrence betwen two apples grown in two diffrent orchards you can smell a bear if your close they dont smell pretty and not even close to the smell of a coon