CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:42 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i'm getting a tri-tronics trash breaker, and my mom wants to use it to break my dog from fighting other dogs and chasing cars, and i just want to use it to break her from running deer since there are other methods of stopping a dog from chasing cars and fighting with other dogs, my question is will it ruin my dog to use the shock collar other than when she's trailing unwanted game, i always thought the concept of the trashbreaker was to only give them an extremely uncomfortable sinsation ONLY when they are running trash, not any other time

CH'PR'MISSISSIPPI QUEEN TREEIN MEME
CH'PR'SWAMPMUSIC BLOOD SLINGING HOSS
'PR'RAPPAHANOCK JIGSAW BLADE
'PR'BREAKING DAWN JASPER

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:56 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

John Wick talks about tying a dog by the side of the road and shocking it when vehicles go by. It sounds good to me. We had one get hit by a car several years ago. Last year it took two yotes over country and eventually "lost" them. I followed the track down a small hill with several benches and coming over the last bench before the road you could see the hounds prints come over the top and skid to a stop twenty yards from the road and turn around. I much prefer to break them with the shocker than vehicles to crossing busy roads. I also use mine to keep new dogs quiet at the kennel when I don't have a bark collar charged. We also use the buzzer feature to recall hounds. So there are more uses when used judiciously. Good luck, Paul Conway.

Post subject: THINGS
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:10 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

GOOD TRAINING AID FOR MANY THINGS, IF NOT OVERDONE. USED MINE FOR OFF GAME, PULLING YOU WHEN BEING LEAD, CHASING CHICKENS, ETC, ETC. MOST NEW ONES COME WITH A BOOKLET, AND / OR CD FOR INSTRUCTIONS. PAYS TO LOOK THEM OVER.
CHARLES

DNA-P GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS DOG NAMED HORSE, GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS BIG CREEK BLUE CORKY, GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS BIG CREEK BLUE SARGE, GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS BLUE DOG TIMBER JACK, GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS BIG CREEK BLU SHADOW, GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS ATCHAFALAYA MAGGIE, GRCH "PR" GALLOWAY'S BLUE INDIAN BETTY, GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS BIG CREEK BL DEE DEE, GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS NORTHERN OUTLAW LADY, GRCH "PR" GATEWOODS BIG CREEK MS DAISY

http://www.myspace.com/bigcreekblueticks

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: ROAD
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:11 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Paul Conway,
LIKE THAT ROAD IDEA !
CHARLES

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: road breaking
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Paul are you saying you brake your dogs from even coming close to a road. I think this will be a absolute necessary factor for my pup cause we live on a very busy highway. Im gessin its strait forward they "enter the danger zone" and you light em up??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:54 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I've done it with one dog but haven't tested the theory yet. Finding time to do it will all my hound is the thing. Of course when I'm standing by the side of a dog that got hit I'll wonder why I didn't make more time. The dog that didn't cross the road and broke off the chase had been hit by a jeep at 50 mph the year before. 4 stitches and a concussion was getting off cheap for the education he earned. One thing I did make sure of was to use a chain tie out rather than a nylon lead. I've got one hound that could be in guinness book for how quick she can saw through a nylon lead. Good luck, Paul Conway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:26 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i just got my shock collar, i've been just keeping it on her at night from 3pm to 9pm, and i shocked her for the first time friday, i have the tri tronics trashbreaker and i put it on the first level and all she did was jerk her head up and twitched her ears, but we were outside and a little while later she started to take off so i called her and she didnt come, i shocked her on level one and she didnt pay much mind, then i called again and switched it up to level two and she yelled and fell to the ground, she got up and was getting ready run again when i shocked her once more and she jumped straight up in the air and came right back to me, i watched the training video they sent me and its very helpful! i think the reason why level two hurt her so much was because she has a slight bald spot on her neck where the prongs are, one of her old collars had rub some of her hair away and so when she gets a shock it goes straight to her skin and doesnt have any fur to protect her sensitive skin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:43 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Test it on your dogs first. Some take the highest level to even get their attention, while others level 1 or 2 will just about knock them on the ground. You don't want to completely scare the crap out of them by shocking them unless they are running junk, etc. etc.

OAKS POINT KENNELS
JOE CULLER

HOME OF:
GRNITECH CH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE
'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:09 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

walkersbeauandbelle wrote:
Test it on your dogs first. Some take the highest level to even get their attention, while others level 1 or 2 will just about knock them on the ground. You don't want to completely scare the crap out of them by shocking them unless they are running junk, etc. etc.

testing the levels was what i was doing when i was calling her tho, she was in the yard so nothing would have happened to her if she didnt come to me, but i just wanted her to listen to me, the training video said to condition your dog to the shock collar, by walking them on a leash and giving basic obedience commands and if they dont respond quick enough(like they dont heel or sit right away when you give the command) you just give them a slight shock on a low level, i'm going to try that today

Post subject: TONE
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:38 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I ASSUME YOURS HAS A WARNING TONE BUTTON ON THE TRANSMITTER. GET YOUR DOG USE TO KNOWING WHEN THEY THEY HEAR THE TONE, AND THEY DON'T OBEY, THE NEXT STEP IS "OH S#IT, MY NECK HURTS !". YOU DON'T HAVE TO "LIGHT UM UP" EVERYTIME THAT WAY. SOME CRITTERS NEED MORE THAN OTHERS. DO YOUR BEST, AND SPEND THE TIME REQUIRED TO USE AS LITTLE CORRECTION AS YOU CAN. YOU WILL BE FINE.
CHARLES

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:19 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

sorry to get off the subject, but does the road idea work, because i would love to train my dog to stay out of the road, we had a good hound squashed by a milk truck a few years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:40 pm 
IP:
tree*rockin'*redbones wrote:
i just got my shock collar, i've been just keeping it on her at night from 3pm to 9pm, and i shocked her for the first time friday, i have the tri tronics trashbreaker and i put it on the first level and all she did was jerk her head up and twitched her ears, but we were outside and a little while later she started to take off so i called her and she didnt come, i shocked her on level one and she didnt pay much mind, then i called again and switched it up to level two and she yelled and fell to the ground, she got up and was getting ready run again when i shocked her once more and she jumped straight up in the air and came right back to me,

How is this going?I wanted to use a collar in this same manner and I was told it wouldn`t work.I never did do it and the dog is too old to go messing with it now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:34 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

anybody ever have a dog that did not respond to the collar or is my hard headed BT the only one that dosen't care if a gazillion volts is pulsing through his neck if his nose is full of fresh whitetail?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:08 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

kirkwood wrote:
anybody ever have a dog that did not respond to the collar or is my hard headed BT the only one that dosen't care if a gazillion volts is pulsing through his neck if his nose is full of fresh whitetail?

MAYBE YOU COULD TRY RIGGING IT UP SOMEWHERE AROUND HIS HIND PARTS. :shock: I KNOW THAT WOULD GET MY ATTENTION !! :D

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:17 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

CGATEWD wrote:
kirkwood wrote:

MAYBE YOU COULD TRY RIGGING IT UP SOMEWHERE AROUND HIS HIND PARTS. :shock: I KNOW THAT WOULD GET MY ATTENTION !! :D

Been doing that for about a week and it truly does get his attention. He doesn't seem to want to hunt any thing when the collars around his waist. Just runs around sniffing.