CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: backtracking
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

how do you help your dog from back tracking? ive saw coons cross the road and let him go but my dog runs them backwards and trees them at the tree they came down

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: BACKTRACK
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:51 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

YOU KNOW I HAVE SEEN THIS HAPPEN LOTS OF TIMES. I DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS, BUT DOGS HAVE A HARD TIME PICKING UP SENT OFF THE ROAD. I AM CURIOUS IF THE DOG DOES THIS ON EVERY TRACK OR JUST THE ONES YOU CROSS ON THE ROAD?

Post subject: backtracking
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:46 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I had this happen a couple of times when I first started training my dog. But what I did was show the coon(in a boxtrap or cage) to the dog. Then tie the dog within 10 feet of the cage so he/she can see it. Let the coon out and run until neither you or dog can see, then let dog go. This way your dog knows which way the coon went. Try it, see how it works for you, post if you try it and let me know... good luck

Last edited by coonhunter02 on Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:59 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Many times when a pup or even a broke hound is turned on a blazing hot track such as a coon crossing the road and you letting go on it... will confuse the heck out of a dog... it's such a hot track that it confuses the heck out of them... best thing to do if you want to turn out on a coon crossing the road is wait 10 minutes or so and then let go... take a ride around and come back.

OAKS POINT KENNELS
JOE CULLER

HOME OF:
GRNITECH CH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE
'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:53 am 
IP:
I think alot of guys would be surprised how often even good dogs go backwards. The smart ones just figure it out sooner. The best bet is to point the dog in the right direction when you turn him loose. Colder nosed dogs will go backwards more often and usually farther.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:55 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

ALOT of dogs cant work a smokin hot track until the scent settles in. its so hot they dont know what direction to go.if the dog can tree a coon out in the woods i wouldnt worry about it. but if this dog does it on alot on tracks he finds in the woods then i dont think you will fix him.

Post subject: Back Tracking
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Got a 2yr old walker male that strikes with the other dogs but while they run it the right way he backtracks on it untill we go to the other dogs, then he go to the tree with them. How can I fix this.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: Re: Back Tracking
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:01 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

? dont sound good

GRNITECH GRCH HARDING'S ACE
pr' HARDING'S HARDWOOD KAT
pr' HARDING'S HIGH FIVE

Post subject: Re: backtracking
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have a black an tan bout 19mths turned a coon loose did not let him see it i wet the coon i waited bout 5min and got him out of the box an turned him loose headed the right way he was hot on the trail as soon as i unsnapped him he went up the creek through a clearcut an in to some pines down to another creek. he tracked about 500yds an then he slowed down an started worken his way back but he was wrken it back slowly an sometimes would stay in one place for abit worken it an finaly he was about 130yds frm were i turned him out an he stayed there for thirty mins worken it finally i gave up an went to him anyhelp with this would be greatly appreciated

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:46 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

a really hot track shouldnt matter, thats where their brains come into play, a dog has to have a nose and brains to go with it. a dog should be able to figure which way its going

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:22 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

just takes time for some dog to get it to click!! my dog dose the samething (he has a cold nose) and i have spent alot of time with him and he is doing great!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:56 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

turning pups and young dogs loose on coons crossing roads is a sure way to get a young dog running up and down the road when you try and send them from the road to the woods.

Last edited by toe cutter on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:44 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

O K, when a coon runs through the woods, his scent travels with him. It goes in the same direction that he does and therefore is laid down on the side of the leaves, weeds, bushes and etc. from which he is traveling. It takes a smart dog to figure this out. He has to smell it out on the sides of the leaves and bushes and figure out which way the coon is going. It takes a lot of smarts in a dogs head. Just about anytime you turn loose 2 or more dogs, whether or not on road and they hit off in a dead run, out running each other and run across a hot track, it is a 50 50 chance that they will go the wrong way and more than likely tree where the coon come down. Now where the real smarts in the dogs head comes in is when he will figure out to check the track again and do a little checking and with a good nose he will track the coon back the way he came from. But mostly he won't open on this track till he gets back to where they first struck it and then you will think that he just left the tree and found another coon. Young dogs, old dogs and all dogs are subject to run a hot track backwards but it is a dumb dog that cold trails one backwards. The dogs that trail or run a coon to tree and tree a few licks and then get down and back tracks is a dog that needs some hands on and up close and personal training. Hunted by himself and worked on and made get back on the tree. He can be fixed. but he ain't gonna fix himself by himself.................the more you let him go the worse he get...........

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:26 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

well i didnt turn him loose on the road. i guess its just gona take time. i hunt him by himself all the time since hes the only dog i got. an yes i do believe with a young dog you leave the woods not happy more than you do happy lol. what do you thank would it help maybe to let him run with an older finished dog alittle bit maybe so he can pik up on a few thangs from them???

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:52 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have had this prob happen before to. Seen coons cross the road and turned lose and they went the back track. i think the get excited and smell coon and run it backwards. but than they came back after the calmed down and treed the coon. And maybe if you worked with your dog with a drag that when you put the scent on a drag the more you drag it the less smell there is and maybe your dog just thought that was the right thing. lol