CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:17 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

catholicdad wrote:
Broke my stubborn male off deer with the walk with wick box method. built the box, hung it in a shed, wired it for shock, the whole 9 yards just like it says in the book. after a week let him out and while the other dogs ran a deer he got treed by himself. No deer since and that has been over a year ago. Also works for any other off game. and you dont have to catch em in the act.

would you please explain this a little more in depth?

PR Miller's Mountain Moonshiner (Moon)
Give It All You Got With Plotts.
John Miller

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:33 am 
IP:
I have a little different approach that has worked excellent. I have a goat that takes care of the grass and brush near the kennels. I usually let the dogs out daily when I clean the kennels and when they even get near the goat or try to work his trail I scold them or use a switch. Goat smell directly like deer and you have a more controlled environment versus chasing them through the country side guessing if they are actually chasing deer. My kennels are on a half acre lot that is fenced in as well. Do not worry too much about getting them to stop right away, a goat will quickly teach them not to mess around with a quick head bunt! Don't laugh but I have yet to have my dogs run deer at night and I am also getting my brush mowed!

I love old school methods!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:15 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

ive got some goats do you think i could put a collar on him and when he winds it and follows it i could shock him what cha think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:03 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I was wondering how late I could use the Wick method of using a ball of wire and a scent gland. I have a 16 month old that doesn't do it all the time but if another dog falls off on a deer he'll join in. Do you think it would work? And I'd also like to know how young I could start this on a pup of mine, He's 3 1/2 months old. Your thoughts?

"PR" Ryan's Slick Grip
"PR" Cripple Creek Rock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:25 am 
IP:
Plottchaser - Give it a try. When I was growing up this was a popular method because shock collars were way too expensive. I have seen a few dogs get messed up because they were actually on a coon scent and were blasted with the collar. They recovered but it took alot of time and plus the goat method is alot more controlled and can watch them closely and don't have to worry about catching them on the other side of the county! :lol:

Post subject: Deer Breaking
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Is this Walk with Wic box method the same as wrapping HOT wire around the deer sent gland.

Thanks Lenny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:24 pm 
IP:
Does anyone know if a deer hide (brain tanned, but still smells like deer) would work like a scent gland?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:51 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

find the nearest farmer with a billy goat and cover it in deer scent. make sure you get th meanest goat to a dog

Post subject: Deer breaking
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:11 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Is the box method you are refering to the same as the deer sent gland
attached to a HOT wire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:00 am 
IP:
my advice to get an accurate description of the wick method is to come off about 35 bucks and buy the best book on coonhound training out there, WALK WITH WICK. you will find detailed information on fixing just about anything out there from pup to world champion dog. But here is the readers digest version. you have a box that the dog lives in for in total about a week to week and a half set up with electric fence wire. the dog completes the circut (at the correct time). you take a cloth that is unscented and hang it on a clothes line that you can operate from 30 to 50 feet away. after the dog gets used to the box and the cloth with no ill effect, you swap the cloth for one that has been wrapped around a deer tarsal gland. let the dog get the scent and plug in the power . 3-5 times daily (as fully detailed in the walk with wick book) and POW the dog associates the smell of deer with pain instead of fun to chase. snap... your dog quits chasing deer, possum, cat, whatever you choose to put on the scent rag. Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DO NOT THINK THAT THIS IS THE ENTIRE METHOD. IT IS NOT. THIS IS ONLY A BREIF OVERVIEW OF IT. I am not benefitting from endorsing MR WICKS book, I am only trying to help give another alternative to people who are going through what I went thru. Many nights I ran down the battery in my quick track searching for my trashy dog, instead of sleeping. BUT NOT ANYMORE. do yourself a favor and buy the book, walk with wick vol one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:09 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I don't believe the wick box was included in the later publishing of Walk with Wick 1. The Wick box was his method before shockers came along. He has talked about Shockers and thier use in his books. Catholic Dad that was a pretty good synopis of the Wick box. Related to that was Wick wrapping a tarsal gland around a hot wire and putting it where younger dogs could approach and get a charge. Cannot beat a quality shocking system used wisely. Paul Conway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:08 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

the hard part is knowing if your dog is on deer or coon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:17 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

a feller told me to use a deer scent and keep it on there nose. if they smell it all the time they dont see a deer trail any different. right? but i really dont want to put scent on my dog every day. i wonder if its breaking or trailing? those of you that use the scents for them smelling it then you punish them do you use breaking or trailing?thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:43 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

if u deer hunt or know someone who does wait till ones been shot and cut the scen glands off the back legs, sit them down somewhere and let ur dog go to them, if he acts inerested or even smells them for more than 1 second shock him or whip the ##*%* out of him then try to run a drag with them if he hits the trail shock him or whip him again, this prodced results for my buddies walker thats 1 yr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:36 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

slsplott90 wrote:
if u deer hunt or know someone who does wait till ones been shot and cut the scen glands off the back legs, sit them down somewhere and let ur dog go to them, if he acts inerested or even smells them for more than 1 second shock him or whip the ##*%* out of him then try to run a drag with them if he hits the trail shock him or whip him again, this prodced results for my buddies walker thats 1 yr

yea thats real good except that deer season is a year away.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next