CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: lay up coons
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:30 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

lay up means the coon did not come down yet correct? and if so when people say they got 1 layup does that mean the dog opens cause they smell it from when it when up the tree earlier and just arent convinced it is still in the area, and the hunter spots or and the dog does not tree or i way out of the ball park. my blue dog opened on a tack and was circling the area and i saw the coon in the fork of the tree she kept going to the tree but would not tree and just kept following the same track and barking.she can tree i know she jas tree at least 5 in the past week and a half and she is just over a year i was just confused last ight and was wondering why and this is the only ting i could think of.any opinions?

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: lay up ?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:47 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

lay up coon is a coon that hasnt come out of tree yet some dogs can pick up on layup coons belle sounds like she was just trying to do the math on the track - i dont know if u paid attention to hawk the nite we went out but he will stop an throw his nose in the air like a deer trying to wind a coon just give her sometime she will fig.it out --- when we going to run again going today to get another walker hound out of indy want to get him out hes 1 1\2 years old an a monster we be good to get the 3 out give me a call when u want to drop the tailgate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:58 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

will do going to try to lay belle up here for awhile try to make her think she is only a year but it seems off like she is not really into it like she was the night we went

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:11 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Pretend the coon has a smoke bomb in the tree with him. If the temp. is droping and no wind the scent will be comeing down like rain under that tree. (easy lay up) Now if the temp. is riseing the scent will go up. If you have a breeze and the temp. is droping the scent will angle away from the tree and will hit the ground down wind. Where depends on how fast the wind is blowing and if the ground is level. Think of all the variances of this and you will know what your dog has to figure out. In a breeze they might smell real fresh air scent but not verry close to the tree. Then add thickness of the trees and every thing else that plays into it. Now the next time you have a dog that is acting crazy some night. Give it a break and wait till it getts better and cercumstances change. A dog treeing a coon and a dog treeing all it's coon are years of hunting apart.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:26 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

To me a lay up is a coon thats been down feeding. Then lays up in a tree for awhile taking a rest or cooling off if its warm out..Or a male trying to bred a female..If you have 2 up a tree this time of year.Most lay ups are treed with out any track barks..A lay up is usually not called that on a den tree...We call it (laying out) on a den.........LOL..They usually do that in breeding season.Ive seen as many as 5 or more in rutting season on a den...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:26 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

thank you dawg. the wind was blowin and she was down wind and of the tree were it went down to a drainage dich and starting coming back up and thats were she kept going back to. the way you explained makes a whole lot of sense.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:26 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

my old dog trees layups pretty often. its jus how dawg said, they havnt come down, jus there scent is comin down, wen he trees layups he doesnt trail bark, jus trees.

RIP THROUGH THE NIGHT WITH A BOBCAT LIGHT If you want a good dependable light give Bob a call at 918-822-8888

They call me Chief not mess around 4 a reason :)... Ole Stone Mountains Billy Bob and Copper, Good as the Best and Better than the Rest. Names Stoney. wanna hunt give me a call or text @ 918-497-0269

Post subject: Lay ups!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:33 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a cold nosed 16 month old bluetick that will run and tree his own coon, but most night he can tree about 3-5 lay ups!!! Sometimes i walk to the tree doubtin him because he hasnt opened on trail but there is always coon there! Even when i go early!! He does wind iff the trail and run a track and tree as well, but has anyone had a dog that would do this?!?!

Post subject: Re: Lay ups!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:29 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Sounds like a nice one. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Lay ups!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:12 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Had a gyp like that but not as many as your hound. She was pretty tight-mouthed at times so I thought she was sneakin' up on some of them and runnin' them up trees.

Post subject: Re: lay up coons
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:27 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yea we definitely know my male has a COLD nose! But he rarely will ever slick and hes nothin but 16 months old! Just sometimes hard to believe him when he trees right off a trail with no barking on track until you shine a coon up there!! Just wasnt sure how common this was!