CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Bark controll
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:58 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

What do you suggest to control barkin hounds on the chain and in the kennel?

NITECH 'PR'Ramblin Radar - English Redtick
'PR' Alsome Little Miss Daisy - English Redtick

.... And yes, girls do it too!

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:11 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

A plastic wiffle ball bat works pretty good for us. :) You can get em for a buck at the store and just bang it on something a couple times and yell HUSH! Ours don't bark much, just when they hear or see something out of the ordinary. We have a pup here that likes to bark out of boredom, so we throw her a soup bone to knaw on every once in a while. That keeps her pretty quiet for long periods of time.

Home of:
GRCH PR WILKINSON'S JEBB *2ND & 5TH PLACE TO NITECH*
NITECH GRCH PR MORGAN'S LOSSES HILLS DAWN
*4 WINS TO GRNITE*
*2010 UKC WORLD HUNT QUALIFIED*
*#2 UKC CURRENT TOP REPRODUCING PLOTT FEMALE*
CH PR GIMME THREE STEPS MISTER *3RD PLACE TO NITECH*
PR SHEZA BAD MAMMA JAMMA
PR MISTER'S TWISTED SISTER

Proud Handler of:
NITECH CH PR WILKINSON'S THOR
*1 WIN TO GRNITE*
*2010 UKC WORLD NITE HUNT QUALIFIED*

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:49 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i used the same thing on my dog. everynow and then when that didn't work i would move him out of his kennel and put him way up in the holler and let him bark his head off. i put him up there for about a week. he got tired of being by himself pretty quick. since then he only barks at weird things. recently, he was barkin he head off when i was in the house. i looked out side and there was a coon in the tree next to his kennel. needless to say i let him out and tadah! he got em. needless to say it may be a good thing for them to bark in their kennels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:24 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

A water hose works great.. They don't like getting sprayed

www.outwesthounds.com

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:34 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My dog wouln't be quiet for anything, and it really didn't help that most of my neighbors have housecats. If he heard ANYTHING he would bark and he could smell the cats when they were about 100 feet away and would really go crazy with a long bawl. Finally I tried the water hose and stayed consistent; he shut up in about a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:27 am 
IP:
bluebawler wrote:
i used the same thing on my dog. everynow and then when that didn't work i would move him out of his kennel and put him way up in the holler and let him bark his head off. i put him up there for about a week. he got tired of being by himself pretty quick. since then he only barks at weird things. recently, he was barkin he head off when i was in the house. i looked out side and there was a coon in the tree next to his kennel. needless to say i let him out and tadah! he got em. needless to say it may be a good thing for them to bark in their kennels.

I don't care if theres a coon in their bed with them, I don't want them barking. My barkers wear no bark collars all the time. 39.99 at cabelas and I've only changed the battery in one. I've had them all for over a year. Work great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:20 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

How do you keep the bark collars from rubbing raw spots in ther neck with prolonged wear? Paul Conway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:32 pm 
IP:
I guess I should state that whenever I am home the dogs are running in my yard with out them on and also when I am hunting they don't have them on. I don't make them very tight and I move them around on their neck. I haven't had a single issue with their necks getting rubbed raw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:03 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

shock collar. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:39 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Shock collar works for me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:46 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well the hose works wonders for myself... I have a No bark collar also and have noticed that when it's been on him too much he just sqeeks so it don't shock him. The bad thing for me "personally" is that he is sqeeky on trail now. He never did it before i put that collar on him. But i also live in town so i have to stay on top of him being load. Good Luck James

B&T is there any other breed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:22 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Dogs usually bark for a reason..Like food and water..Or they see something.Like house cats,rabbits,squirrels or even a coon..I keep live traps set to catch house cats that run free.Most are 1/2 wild or wild.I have no idea who owns them..They also bark at sirens,Horses and people on bikes.Mail man...Even loud trucks or (WITH MINE) The UPS trucks can set them off..If you have trouble like that. Its best to place them where they cant see things.Like putting up a privacy fence..If you have a large kennel .Or Place to put a radio to drown out the sounds...I do let my young dogs bark some to HELP develope there mouths..BUT if needed.. I have a old Buggy whip or a garden hose and spray them...Some dogs can be real hard headed while other learn quick...But the Buggy whip works on the hard headed ones.ALSO IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN ONE BARKING.IF THEY SEE ME COMING THE RUN IN THERE HOUSE.If you have a shocking collar it works great.But make sure you shock the right dog......LOL

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:51 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a new dog 5 months old female. I have not hunted her yet. She barks alot, at night too. Can I shock her for barking in the yard on a chain? will this hurt her huntting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:55 am 
IP:
One of my hounds wears a bark collar every time he goes outside. When I tried hunting him a few times his memory of the bark collar did NOT translate into barking in the field--in fact I saw right away that he is a babbler. I don't hunt him anymore because he's no fun to be around in the woods.
Think about this though... people shock their dogs when they tree possums. My first thought was "wouldn't that discourage the dog from treeing?" But apparently it doesn't; dogs certainly aren't Einsteins, but they are able to tell the difference and learn accordingly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:25 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Good luck with the barking. It has often been said to me that a barker has no brains. This I would happen to agree with 100%. Saying that I have 2 barkers. They live in their collars. I have tried and tried it without the collars and used everything possible. They will not learn at all! A buggy whip is like a tap to them is all I can say without going into detail. The collars work and work well but take them off and they sit and bark. They bark to get you to see them or maybe at nothing at all. Then when I do see them and believe me thay do not like it they bark some more. I have spent more time with them, I have walked them, I play with them and it just gets worse and they bark more. Many people have said a bullet will fix the problem and I have to agree, however I cannot do that and that is a good thing.

On bark collars read my review of the Sportdog No Bark 10R. It will solve all of your rubbing issues.