CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:15 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Seems to work better if you always take them to the same place to sniff around and do their business. Also gotta quickly spray the spot dirtied in the house...............the smell will bring them right back to the same spot.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:28 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

livewire21980 wrote:
Thanks for all the great advice and the website was a big help. Now does anyone know how long I have to wait until I will be able to sleep through the night without taking the dog out 3 or 4 times?

Just went through this, my 5 and half month old has been sleeping from 9:30 at night straight until 6 in the morning for about 3 weeks now, and hasn't had an accident in the house in about 4 weeks. And he sleeps in bed with me and my girlfriend every night, right at my feet under the covers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:27 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I'm curious what these dogs do when you turn them lose in the woods? Any long range dogs? Close?

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:15 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

10 years ago i got a walker pup i lived in town and the dogs stayed at my buddies house. but the night i got the pup it was late and i was thinking just lock her in the kitchen. my grilfriend was there that night about 3 am she woke me up yelling shes go to puke i run out there and to late dam beaver meat and dog food smell bad what a mess

Post subject: dogs
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:26 am 
IP:
i got 2 walkers and they are both house broke and totally different from each other my female hunts close a hundred yards or so give or take a few yards but my male on the other hands wants to get on out there and hunt deep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:20 pm 
IP:
I don't know what ranges constitute close, medium or deep, but my dog who was/is a house-pet first usually likes to go 500-600 yards out, logged him 3/4 of a mile away on one occasion. He's new to hunting, but seems to go a bit farther out each time we go out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:25 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

THANKS FOR THE INPUT.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:12 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Hispanicpbh wrote:
I'm curious what these dogs do when you turn them lose in the woods? Any long range dogs? Close?

Also curious, my pup goes on daily walks through the woods with me and is learning to be more independent everyday, he'll range about 150 yards then wait till he can see me, but he is after all only a pup. I use his new found independence to make sure he comes when hes called too, if hes not moving toward me by the second call he becomes well aquainted with the palm of my hand when i get to him.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a pair of male redbone pups. the wife & I are retired so we have the time needed to train them. one is 11 weeks old & 1 is 4 months. thankfully they are both doing all of their cr*pping outside. the older dog is pretty much potty trained. he doesn't bark but he'll stand at the door. at this age we never take our eyes off of them. partly because of potty training & partly to make sure they're not destroying something. the younger pup just doesn't get the peeing outside thing. it's also hard to catch him in the act because he often gives no warning. he doesn't sniff or posture. he'll sometimes pee while sitting or walking. I make sure they go outside at least once an hour & immediately after napping, sleeping, eating, & in the morning. is there anything else I can try?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:17 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

update: we sold the older pup. trying to housebreak & train 2 very young puppies was just too much. every waking hour of every single day was spent watching pups. I could not get anything else done. the pup I sold is off to a good home. what is amazing though is the immediate change in the pup we kept. he went thru some separation anxiety the 1st night but got over that & is now a completely different dog. he's calmer & has bonded more with us, especially me more than he had before. AND the big change is that he's not messed in the house since the other pup left & is actually going to the back door & barking when he needs to go out. it's like aliens came in the middle of the night & switched pups on me. we still have a strict routine & we keep an eye on him at all times but it feels like we're on our way to turning his behavior around. 1st thing out of the crate in the morning he goes straight outside. he's fed when he comes in & is watched closely & is back outside within the hour. he's taken out every 1 1/2 hours & is walked about a mile every day. when he goes out I stay with him til he pees &/or poops & I praise him & love em' up when he does. he's almost 4 months now so I'm going to start him on a coon hide drag soon. I think he's gonna' be a good hound.

Post subject: Re: housebreaking puppy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:04 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

redtick3312 wrote:
I have succesfully house broken 2 coon hounds. First get a crate one that is only big enough for the pup to turn around in. and keep him/she in there at all times unless you are taking out to the bathroom, feeding it, or playing with it. DO NOT TAKE YOUR EYES OFF OFF HIM or he will go in the house. I have done this and it works wounderfull. I have a coonhound in the house that is left in the house uncaged 8 hours a day and does not get into anything. He is 2 now and it took all of 2 years to get him there.

Try the crate training it realy works becasue a dog will not go to the bathroom whree it sleeps!!!

I concur. Crate training is the way to go and like redtick said the size of the crate matters. Too much space and he'll go inside it. Mine is house trained and it took some perseverance to get it done right. good dog now and will whine to go outside just like he needs to. I began by taking him out often and praising him for going outside. Positive reinforcement is key.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hispanicpbh wrote:

Right now O have a 5 month old that is house broke. She sleeps all night in a cage from 11:30pm -7:00am and she starts whining and barking to go out. During the day when she needs to go out she rings a bell hanging on the door (which I only had to show her once). I got her at 3 months old and only has had 2 accidents since I've had her.
Right now she is a close hunter but everytime I take her to the woods (jusy about every other day)she hunts a little farther from me. She's not been trained on coon yet. I've just been doing obedience training. She'll see her first coon first thing in the spring.