CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: e-collars
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have searched the site but i have not found the answer i am looking for, so i want to know how many people use e-collars and they auctually use them for? Do you keep the on all the time? Which effectiveness as far how many yards away it works everyone uses? I have heard a lot of good and bad about them but i thought about getting one to help training my dog for trashbreaking and other uses to help train him. Any input will be appreciated.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:02 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I use shocking collers for obediance, and trash breaking. they range from 1 mile to 2 miles. dont leave the collar on them, but put it on them oftem, when and when your not training them.

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory. 1Timothy 3:16.

(706)889-5083

Wrights Midnight Blue Kennels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:17 pm 
IP:
I use them.I usually keep one on a barking hound in the kennel.They are great on trash breaking & making a dog mind.You have got to watch though if you use them a lot on a dog it will become collar smart.That means whenyou put it on he or she they will mind like a dream & when you don't have it on them they won't listen to nothin'.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I do not have a full understanding of what the training (shock) collars are used for. I read some posts that say they have a 1-2 mile range, how are they used with that distance when the dog cannot be seen? I have a dog that hunts too far out, and doesnt come to me until she trees a coon no matter how far she has to travel.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: e-collars
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:46 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

We use the tri-tronics trashbreaker with the 2-mile range(but in our woods u get about 700-800 yards) most of the time it is used for trashbreaking, but can be used for several things.I like the long range because when a pup strikes hot and sounds like it is running fast game that is not always true and unless u see a deer get up u need to be positive and most of the time by the time u are sure it is to late and they are a long ways out. I have found the trashbreaker, the garmin, and a good broke dog put in with a pup is a good combination and once again by the time u realize that broke dog has turned off that track the pup is a long way out so I would stick with the longest range I could find. We could also use it to pull the dogs off if we thought that they for fixing to be in danger for some reason. I put the collars on everytime I put my dogs in the woods.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:43 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

great, thanks for the response. Can I use the ecollar to make her come to me? Like when she hasnt found anything close, and is thinking about going a long way out to find a coon?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:06 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I would start beeping the dog and telling it come or here while pulling on a long leash. You might have to nip him a few times after the beep but it doesn't take them long to figure out what that beeping is all about. Good luck!

NITECH KJs MAIN STREET UGLY
PR TRAILERS HIGH STAKES DEALER

Justin Earls 601 214 3196
RED BOY KENNELS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:15 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thank you very much, I appreciate the feedback!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ecollars are an invaluble tool in the hands of a seasoned handler. on the flipside ive seen many a good dog ruined with one. use them sparingly and by all means make sure the dog is trashing. ive turned dogs out on deer only to have them get treed with a coon. use caution and consult a seasoned handler.