CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post subject: Re: DOG NOT TREEING
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:30 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

on a added note:
i will not hunt a pup with any dog i do not know really well and know for myself its not rough,trashy or anything. when you let the trainer dog up on the hung coon,watch it close when the pup gets up close and tries to tree with it. you may see something you and the owner never relized was going on out of the trainer dog before you get to the trees. just cause a dog dont fight or blow at other dogs,dont mean it wont to a pup when you aint there. on a hung coon a trainer dog will sometimes let his dirty deeds slip out.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:08 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I often wonder if its not benificial to let a pup tree squrrels or house cats etc. To get them more tree minded at a young age last pup i started our old barn cat smokey was instramental in getting him tree minded the old coonhunters around here says thats pup training 101 never discourage a pup from treeing.(that goes back to the old possom treeing debate)We spent a lot of time doing yard work just getting him tree minded as a pup u kinda need an older dog to help set an example if u gona coonhunt u need a treedog u can fine tune him when he or she is mature myself i want my dog to be a treedog. It takes alot of work regardless and it depends on the individual dog the pup i made refrence to was a fast starter he was very well breed my other dog didnt tree till after a year old or better.Remember a lot of times u get what u pay for there are a lot of people breeding dogs that are not half trained and have no busness being breed bloodline does matter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:35 pm 
IP:
ive got a 8 mmonth old black an tan already doing it ...but when he was younger i always took him out in the day and let him tree squirells now he is a COON DOG... never lies.. people say that they will tree squirells of the night but if they got any brains they wont! good luck with your dog.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:45 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

whats the history on your dog.? did you raise this dog from a pup. if not,did they try and train him before you got him. or is this 10 nights it?
just wondering why he is 18 months old and only been 10 nights..with most its gonna take alot more then 10 nights.
you will see more interest from a pup releasing a live coon then they will show on any hide or dead coon.
your good dog would probly not tree on a coon skin at all. not enough live scent for a seasoned dog to mess with.
why are you hunting your young dog with the cur insted of your good dog the pup knows?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:44 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

mortoncooner wrote:
I have a 15 month old redtick that has been in the woods on hunts maybe 10 times. Half the times he will track with the other dogs and the other half he will try to run his own and slick treed 3 times! I believe he is going to be independant is this good or bad thing?

the independant part or the slick tree?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:11 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

My 15 month old is now a little over two and has treed 4or 5 on his own but now he seems to be not independent at all anymore. He will pull from a tree in a minute now to go to another dogs tree. It seems to me that he is more confident in other dogs than himself but that's just a guess. I'm gonna start hunting him by himself only for awhile and see how that works. He also seems to be winding a coon here and there and will go up on maybe two or three trees in the area that the coon is in and I have no clue what to do about this. Any ideas guys??

NITECH KJs MAIN STREET UGLY
PR TRAILERS HIGH STAKES DEALER

Justin Earls 601 214 3196
RED BOY KENNELS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:14 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i have a female walker that is some where between 1/12 and 2 years old is first strike first tree dog but soon as any other dog gets close she is gone to track the next one down. i bought a cheap led head light and strapped it to her kneck and took her out alone and watched her real close to see what tree she acted like she was treed on. [since she really doesnt tree its just a few barks of a different tone]. i did this severall times till i was sure it was a kitten coon. called her back to me tied her up and shot the coon out[not to kill it tho just to knock it out]. i let her fight it real good. since its almost a given the coon will latch on to an ear or lip the dog got a taste of getting its butt whooped by a coon and that turned her on. i have used this method several different times on dogs people said were a waste of time and turnd them into coon hounds. in my opinion roll cages and trapped coons are not the way to go. i almost guarentee 90% of ppl that use a trapped coon and let it go put the dog on the sent instead of making it hunt for it. i hardly ever use an older dog to start a pup and if i do i use the dogs mother. goes back to what toe cutter said. a pups is gonna be the most comfortable with its mother.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:04 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 15 month old dog that I am training. He has only see 3 cage coon in his life. I turned the second one loose in front of him and he didn't see it but tracked and found the tree it went up on. He give a few hard barks while up on the tree. I showed him the third cage coon just a couple days ago. He showed alot of interest and bawled and barked at him alot. Tryed to get to him while it was still in the cage. Last night I took him out and let him get after the coon again. Same result. Very aggresive. Lots of barking. I pulled the cage up a tree and he would tree but not as hard as he was on the ground. I turned the coon loose in front of him. When the coon got to the tree I cut my dog loose. He ran straight to him. To my surprise the coon didn't go up the tree. My dog got right up in his face barking and snapping at him. The coon was growling and snapping back. Luckily he didn't jump on my dog and finally got up the tree. The coon made it about 6 foot up the tree and my dog jumped up and tryed to grab him. He couldn't get him. After that he treed on him alittle but not real hard. He got down and was smelling around the tree. He would get back up on the tree but wouldn't bark. I leashed him up and got down with him and pet and praised him. He still didn't bark but was smelling and licking where the coon went up. I leashed him up and we went home. I think that I just need to take him hunting and keep fooling with him with maybe a couple more coon. What do you guys think? What about shooting the next one out for him? All suggestions welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:12 pm 
IP:
i just got a 3 year old red bone and the people i got him from said they dont know if he has any coon huntin expearince but i got one of my coon hides out and 2 see what he will do but he wasnt that interested in the hide what would be the best way to find out what hes going to do and if he dont then what would be the best way to train or is he to old to start trainin

if i was u tweeder, id just put him in the woods.. hes 3 yr old he should be doin somethin... but i wouldnt give up on him the first night.. hunt hi for about a week straight then if he ait doin nothin id start lookin at my other options..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:19 pm 
IP:
what i can tell u guys.. is too just keep your dogs in the woods.. thats the best thing for a hound.. if they aint treein yet or wether they aint runnin track.... (the woods) is were they will learn to be coon dogs.. even if you aint got a pup trainer or an older dog.. just put them in their by their selfs... ive finished many of hounds like this.. i had a 10 month old walker that wouldnt do a thing.. then something just clicked and he became a coon dog... .. sometimes it takes them a long time, then again everything can change within an hour... guys just keep them in the woods. is my best advice.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:17 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

thats a fact! if your feeding them you mise well have them in the woods they aint learning anything on the chain.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I appreciate it guys. Anyone else is free to comment. I know that what yall said is common sense but it helps to hear it from someone else sometimes. I want this dog t make it so bad. It's just me training him. Don't have a pup trainer or anything like that. This is my first one to train. When something happens I like to get other peoples opinions and make a decision on what I need to do. Just like hearing how people would do stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:42 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

southern coonhunter wrote:
I have a 15 month old dog that I am training. He has only see 3 cage coon in his life. I turned the second one loose in front of him and he didn't see it but tracked and found the tree it went up on. He give a few hard barks while up on the tree. I showed him the third cage coon just a couple days ago. He showed alot of interest and bawled and barked at him alot. Tryed to get to him while it was still in the cage. Last night I took him out and let him get after the coon again. Same result. Very aggresive. Lots of barking. I pulled the cage up a tree and he would tree but not as hard as he was on the ground. I turned the coon loose in front of him. When the coon got to the tree I cut my dog loose. He ran straight to him. To my surprise the coon didn't go up the tree. My dog got right up in his face barking and snapping at him. The coon was growling and snapping back. Luckily he didn't jump on my dog and finally got up the tree. The coon made it about 6 foot up the tree and my dog jumped up and tryed to grab him. He couldn't get him. After that he treed on him alittle but not real hard. He got down and was smelling around the tree. He would get back up on the tree but wouldn't bark. I leashed him up and got down with him and pet and praised him. He still didn't bark but was smelling and licking where the coon went up. I leashed him up and we went home. I think that I just need to take him hunting and keep fooling with him with maybe a couple more coon. What do you guys think? What about shooting the next one out for him? All suggestions welcome.

I WOULD NOT PUT THE CAGED COON UP A TREE AGAIN. GIVE HIM A COUPLE MORE RELEASED COON AND LET THE COON HAVE A GOOD LEAD WITH THE DOG NOT SEEING HIM LEAVE. ONCE HE CAN TREE SOME COON RELEASED LIKE THAT ,THEN HUNT HIM.STAY CLOSE WHEN HE IS ON TRACK SO WHEN HE DOES MARK THE TREE HE AINT GOT TO WAIT AROUND TOO LONG FOR YOU TO GET TO HIM THE FIRST FEW TIMES UNTILL HE IS TREEING AND DOING BETTER. AS LONG AS HE WILL MARK THE TREE WHERE THE COON WENT UP. IS FINE. HE WILL TREE HARDER AFTER HE GETS MORE INTO IT AND WANTS THEM MORE.I WOULD SHOOT THE COON OUT,BUT NOT LET THE DOG HAVE IT, JUST PULL HIM AFTER HE IS NUTTIN UP BARKING AND TRYING TO GET AT IT JUST OUT OF HIS REACH..THE MORE HE WANTS IT,THE MORE HE WILL TREE FOR ONE.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:37 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks toe cutter. Always good to here from you. Will give it a shot. Thanks once again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:38 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i got a 1 year old walker and he will trail a coon and go to the bottom of the tree and whine when we run him on cage coons and he'll tree the heck outta possums and stay treed but he wont stay treed and you cant tie him to a tree he just breaks the lead and he's dun it twice

Proud Owner and Handler:Dillon Robinson

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next