CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post subject: Re: DOG NOT TREEING
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:34 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

took my puppy again last nite and he did as good as he ever has. barked on the track of a coon we turned out. i let the coon go and waited awhile befor i turned the dog out and he picked him right up. ran the coon all the way to a slough and he lost him i guess not sure it was fun though... i will be taking my puppy with a going coon dog that is good and trees his own! it's hard because the guys with the good dogs work off shore so it's only two weeks they get to go out of the month! I wished i could go every nite but i do a little out of town work also... i hope my hound makes it,i am just gonna keep casting him and see what happens... any suggestions greatly app...

PR kj mainstreet ugly (2 first place wins)

*** They gotta be buckers***
****ROCKINKK CATTLE CO.****

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:25 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My 2 yr old Bluetick female is STILL a work in progress. She was started on caged coons, then dead coon dragged through the woods and hung it up in the tree. Then I took her to a field with a caged coon, let him loose, then waited til he got 50 yards across the field, and turned her loose, she tackled him before he hit the woods, but he managed to make it up a short 15 ft maple tree. My dog had been having problems with staying treed, but when she could see this coon and smell him strong she stayed at the tree, but then came back to me. I walked her back over and praised her as she tore at the bark of the maple tree. THen I pulled her off, sat back about 100 yds away with a light on the coon. Waited for him to climb down and take off running. Waited a minute, took her over to the trail and she ran him til he lost her in a deep creek. She learned quickly to use her nose and not her eyes. I do ALL my training at night, which I believe also forces the dog to use their nose rather than sight. I do the same thing when I start my deer beagles so they don't become too head up. I haven't had too many problems out of my coondog since. But she recently started using her nose too much and ran some deer the other day. I have to borrow a shock collar and correct this, but she's at least stopped running head up, and I know she has a powerful hatred for coons, the rest is practice practice practice... GOODLUCK

PERFECT TEN KENNELS
LOUISA, VA.
HOME OF PERFECT10-PEARL GIRL

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:35 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i havent gotten a chance to tie my dog back like tc was telling me to do because we were in a rough spot the other night. he is still running with the other dogs every time. he just in my opinion he hasnt figured out that the coon goes up the tree. he barks on track till he gets to the end or what he thinks is the end and just stands there and chops like nobodys buiness!! lol i guess what im wondering has everybody or anybody had this going on with their young dog? thanks!

NITECH KJs MAIN STREET UGLY
PR TRAILERS HIGH STAKES DEALER

Justin Earls 601 214 3196
RED BOY KENNELS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:39 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ok this weather finally broke and coons r everywhere...i trapped a coon the other day and let my hound out... i let my pup hit the caged coon and he wasnt intimidated at all on it he really wanted to get to it...i released the coon and let it run about 50 yards unleashed my bluetick pup and he caught it at the base of a tree...the fight was on...he did awesome but i was a lil nervous when the coon wrapped its paws around the neck of my dog so i pulled the pup back a little and kicked the ##*%* out of the coon and then let the dog back on it until the coons paws were wrapped around my dogs neck again and once again pull the dog back and kick the coon... should i help the dog fight coons for awhile till he has more experience with them or just leave it all to him to do??? the coon finally had a chance to get away while the pup took a second to regrip the coon and ran into a pond... i didnt want my pup goin in after it and take the chance of the coon drownin my dog so i called him off the fight and shot the coon then let the pup go in after it...am i doin ok with my training or should i do something different???

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:47 am 
IP:
im dont know much bout training pups but it sounds to me like ur doing a good job sammmyc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

sammyc how old is your pup? i got a little redbone thats almost 5months and i caught a coon two days ago in my box trap. she went nuts when i showed it to her. i'm not really sure when i should show it to her again or when i should let it out of the trap and let her find the track.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:59 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Good luck with your hounds buddy! My opinion is that I wouldn't turn the coon out where the pup could catch it and get whooped at this age. That's just my opinion it might be bad on the puppy! I would keep letting her know that the coon is what it's after may would try hanging it in a tree and let her tree on it awhile. you can talk to some way better hunters and trainers than me on here. But good luck with em buddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:01 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have a 3 year old redbone male i have owned since he was almost 2,at that same time i had a female redbone she did the work he was a me too dog for sure.but i had to sell her a while back for money and now when i just take him he will wonder out bout 50 yards and come back bout 2 or 3 times a night.i have takin him prolly 8 times alone.i am tryin to catch a cage coon to give him a hot track to play with and hopfully buid his confidence up.u guys think there is any savin this dog?my wife is way to in love with him for me to sell him and she is pregnant(emotional) so there is no way i can.lol i have had a dozen guys offer to buy him and say he will start late.thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

you catch a coon yet for your redbone maryland boy?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:58 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

no!!!i been tryin son,iposted a thread on what happend last night i caught on video a big one settin the trap by hand from out side the trap and eatin the food i got to set up a better set up tonight.but i will have one soon.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 14 month old bluetick that is having trouble treeing. He can find the track but just can't tree it I have caught him live coons and he has some trouble with them but eventualy will tree it. Why is he having so much trouble treeing what else can I do to help him? I don't want to keep catching him coons and making it easy for him!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

hey tmild, my pup is a lil over a year...i wouldnt recommend releasin the coon to where ur pup can get to it be4 the coon is treed just yet...i really didnt plan on lettin mine get to it, it just kinda happened that way...i started with draggin coons for about 2-3 weeks be4 he even saw a live coon...then i got that one in a cage trap and let him go nuts on it...and then released it hopin that my pup would be able to c that they go up trees...well as u c that didnt work so i tried again about a week ago and well that didnt work so well either...my pup caught the coon again at the base of a tree and fought it then the coon jumped on the tree to get away and he caught it again and pulled it off the tree to finish the fight the coon finally had one last chance to get away got back on the tree and when my pup tried to get it again the coon pounced on my dog and the fight really took off that bluetick of mine really put a hurtin on it and that coon didnt want anything but to get away and the first chance it got it shot right up that tree as high as possible...i realize my pup really has a lot of work still but hes impressin me more everyday...im pretty lucky tho cuz i can go right out my back door and let him run coon in the woods behind the house but hes still havin problems treein...hell run a track to the tree sniff it and keep huntin...tonight he finally stayed on a den tree but i honestly dont know if the coon was there, Im assumin it was with the way he was actin but ive never seen him tree yet...hes a work in progress but definatley my pride and joy...A COON HOUND SURE BEATS ANY WOMAN U CAN BRING HOME TO MOM AND DAD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:53 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ok so i went out lastnight with my pup and my cousins walker and blue tick...They both each put one up a tree...my pup followed track all the way to the tree then turned around and ran the track in reverse...Wut can i do to help him tree??? he does a damn fine job trackin coon but just wont tree unless its a dragged coon, that i cant put up a tree as high as a coon would climb...ive tried depriving him at the tree and i just cant think of anything else i can do to get him to tree a coon...i know hes still just a pup and hes is progressing but is there anyway to speed up the process?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well I'm no expert by no means but has anything bad happened to him around the tree? My thinking would lead me to believe maybe he has correlated treeing or getting close to the tree with something bad. I think if he wasn't as scared the second go around then that is atleast in improvement. Maybe you could tie him up close to the tree when the others tree a few times and see if there is improvement. Maybe Toe Cutter will comment and have a few ideas on what to do....I would love to know as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:16 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i have seen a lot of young dogs that would tree with a dog they are use to. then take them with a dog they dont know and they act like they had never been to the woods before.
when you hunt them with a new dog it dont know,try pulling the other dog back away from the tree and then try getting the pup up on the tree alone without the other dog right on top of him..
when you shoot the coon out or have a fresh dead coon, dont let the pup get hold of it, drag it around in front of him and try to get him to try and grab at it, he wont know its dead.then throw it up in a crotch or a small tree close by. let the pup get up on the tree and everything so he knows its there. dont worry about getting him to bark on it, just make sure he knows its there. if he dont,pull the coon down and try to get him interested again and then throw it back up in the tree. then leave it there, dont let him have it no matter if he blows the top out of the tree. if you do it at the tree when you have the other dog there,after you mess with the pup some.let the other dog up to the tree and let him tree on it. pups see then what the heck the other dog is barking about. he should relize ,hey its the coon hes going nuts over,most pups will get more brave with some help..keep them both short leashed and dont let them jump up and jerk the coon down. pull the dogs and leave the coon hanging there so thats where the pup remembers it was,in the tree.
dont over do this. a few times only. otherwise the pup will start treeing on every bump he sees on a tree.dont let him jump for it or you will get him jumping on the trees when he does tree one.stand on his leash so he cant jump up after it when you mess with him on a hung coon. dont teach him to jack the tree. they will jump to get it before they will ever bark if they see it and think they can reach it.dont worry about him barking on the tree. once he figures out they are up the trees when he finishes a track to one,and wants the coon,he will tree bark for it without you trying to teach him to. when you pull the dogs and leave,watch the pup and see if he dont start checkin trees on the way back out of the woods on the leash. i would go back to trying him alone soon after i see he knows they climb. dont wait till he will tree bark with the other dog. you dont want him to only just start treeing just cause the other dog trees.you wont hurt the trainer dog at all letting him tree on some hang ups with the pup.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next