CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post subject: Re: DOG NOT TREEING
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:51 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

tell more, as far as rollin the coon out and letting him have it,or not letting him have it. have you hung any coon?
alot of young dogs are sold,given away or culled because they never found the right button to turn it on...

Last edited by toe cutter on Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:49 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

He trees like crazy on a coon hung in a tree. Will tree a caged coon if he sees him go up. I have been tying him at the tree and he barks at us like he is waiting on us to shoot tha coon out to him. He runs track real good I think. I am goin to tie him away from the tree on the next few just hadn't been able to bring myself to do that yet! Get caught up in the moment I guess! Ha

NITECH KJs MAIN STREET UGLY
PR TRAILERS HIGH STAKES DEALER

Justin Earls 601 214 3196
RED BOY KENNELS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:31 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i would tie him back and not let him have any.he would see the other dog get em till he starts treeing long before you get there. alot of times its more on how many coon a dog does not get in its mouth then how many coon they do get that turns the switch on..the more they want it, the more apt they will tree bark for it. I WOULD NOT USE ANY MORE HUNG COON OR CAGED COON. JUST TIE HIM BACK AND ROLL IT TO THE DOG THAT TREES IT.DONT LET HIM HAVE ANY AT ALL TILL HE TREES RIGHT,.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:21 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Ok thanks toe cutter! If that works I'm buyin you a steak dinner! Lol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:51 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

did you ever leave the coon hanging in the tree and just pull him and leave. or did you always break and throw it down out to him? did you ever drag the coon off and rub it on a tree real good , then not hang the coon. take the coon off away or have a buddy take it away. then turn the dog loose and see if he would find the right tree and tree on it by scent only.i have often tied a pup back and not let him have the coon. hung it,let him tree, and then leave. put him in the box,go back get the coon out of the tree. at the next woods get out ,lay a drag into the woods and rub the coon all over a tree. then let the pup out and him just flat burn it up and go to treeing on the tree. his button was just switched on.the more you can make one want it the more you'll see out of them.to me thats all i'm doing with another dog. exposing the pup to coon and making it want them. from there its on its bred in instincts to do it. another dog dont train a pup to run track and it dont teach one to tree. it just exposes the pup to the game. if a 8 week old pup can track and tree barks for a hot dog when it finds it and cant get to it, then if i can make it want a coon as bad as it did the hot dog as a pup,then what am i really training. the ability to track and locate and bark treed for any thing it wants bad enough is bred in.the more you can make a pup want a coon,the more those bred in instincts will come out.think about it, when my dogs see me come out the door in the morning with the feed bucket is the hardest you'll hear them "tree bark". every breath till the food hits the pan.they want that food. in the woods every breath till the coon hits the ground.they want that coon.they want something they will tree bark for it. born doing it.if a dog wont tree bark for a coon he dont want it bad enough.
one reason alot of dogs become me to dogs when started with other dogs is because people think another dog teaches a pup to run a track or tree.when you do single the dog he will still be at the beggining level of tracking because the other dog was there before to pick up the loses for it... once the pup wants a coon it should be tried alone too.people say wait till it trees first or split trees. if you do you have waited to long on alot of em..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:31 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i have never not eventually knocked a hung coon out to him. he always finds the drug coon pretty easily and trees on it but that might be because he saw the coon after he looked up. but im not sure on that really. he really really hates a coon he is probably the most aggressive dog in our bunch when a coon is shot out. i think he is going to make a nice dude if i can ever get him treeing!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:42 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I let mortoncooner talk me into getting a dog that is just turning a year old. I like the dog and think he might make it.He trees a caged coon and will get on one that is shot out on him! i think that i will try to tie mine back as well... i was wandering how many times to have a caged coon turned out on him is to many. i dont wanna keep turning them out if it is only gonna hurt him in the long run. he has only seen 3 caged coons to my knowledge and he really barked hard at it. what about taking more than one puppy with a older dog,is that a bad idea or what? i to am new to this dog thing,i have hunted awhile but never owned my own...i really just want whats best for my dog as well as cooners. would yall take two started puppies to the woods without another old dog? sorry for all the questions just wanna know what yall think!

PR kj mainstreet ugly (2 first place wins)

*** They gotta be buckers***
****ROCKINKK CATTLE CO.****

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:53 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have a 1 year old blue tick that has never been fussed with, until i got him about a month ago. i have been tryin to train him on draggin a coon and puttin in a tree in eyesight, durin the day after he knew i was his owner of a week and he was really into it... ive been runnin the last two nights with my cousin and his 5 year old blue tick...my dog just doesnt want to pack in with him...let alone get more than 100 yards from me...we had a hell of a run last night and he just had no desire to participate...we got to the tree and he sniffed around a bit and i know he smelled coon but he just had no interest on the tree. is this normal or should i get rid of him now and replace him? im anxious to get this dog up and runnin hes really smart and a very lovable dog but i want a coon hound not a house pet...this is my first dog and i just dont have a clue on wut to do...please any help would be greatly appreciated

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:31 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

knighttrain, i only hunt one pup with one older dog at a time.i let them run loose in the dog lot and get used to the older dog so it is comfortable with the older dog and more apt to go with it when cut loose at night.and i kennel the pup near the other dog too if possible. in my opinion if you use a coon in a cage and put it up a tree for a pup. if the pup looks up the tree for it one time,thats enough. caged coon are far too over rated as a training method to me. to me the only purpose for a coon in a cage is to turn it loose and let the pup try and find it and tree it. not a puppy puppy, but at 10 to 12 months old . dont want a pup to have a chance to get ate up. and never release a big coon that may not climb and may stand its ground and fight..i have seen pups started by only turning coon loose for it, and then hunted in puppy woods with coons more apt to climb sooner and not dog wise coon to start with.i think they should be hunted in the woods at night on free roaming coon so they dont get used to only having the hot tracks to run.if a dog will run a released coon and try and tree it, its time to go do the real deal.

Last edited by toe cutter on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:16 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

sammyc wrote:
i have a 1 year old blue tick that has never been fussed with, until i got him about a month ago. i have been tryin to train him on draggin a coon and puttin in a tree in eyesight, durin the day after he knew i was his owner of a week and he was really into it... ive been runnin the last two nights with my cousin and his 5 year old blue tick...my dog just doesnt want to pack in with him...let alone get more than 100 yards from me...we had a hell of a run last night and he just had no desire to participate...we got to the tree and he sniffed around a bit and i know he smelled coon but he just had no interest on the tree. is this normal or should i get rid of him now and replace him? im anxious to get this dog up and runnin hes really smart and a very lovable dog but i want a coon hound not a house pet...this is my first dog and i just dont have a clue on wut to do...please any help would be greatly appreciated
if a pup is with a strange dog it dont know and is not comfortable with it, most of the time they wont show any interest in going into the dark woods with it.your pup is just not started yet.he had know idea why the other dog was barkin and running track or barkin up the tree. if you could kennel the pup near the older dog and let them run in a dog lot or the older dog on a chain and let the pup run loose or chained near by so it can buddy up with it you will see more interest faster.let the pup get used to everything,its all new to it. the other dog, the woods at night. have patients and keep takin him.once the pup relizes what a coon is and they are in the woods and are fun to chase, it will come . it takes alot of boot tracks in the woods to make a coondog out of a puppy.not many pups show interest in only the 2nd night they have been to the woods at night. or the 3rd,4th,5th and even longer..but just keep taking him,it will come. now its time for him to have the real training by being hunted and exposed to the real deal at night in the woods.your pups actions at the tree is normal for a puppy.everything in your post is all normal puppy behavior .. have pateints.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:35 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Thanks alot toe cutter!!! one more question if i have a young dog and no old dog to take with him would you turn him out by his self or what?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:39 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i would release coon for it. once it knew the scent and the dog would get after one, i would take it to woods that the coon have not been dogged to death by other hunters and hounds.i'd try and get him some easy coon to run and tree on in a easy woods.i have small woods that dont get hunted and i use them as puppy woods..i dont think another dog actually teaches a pup anything. its just easier for me to expose a pup to alot of coon and get it to know the scent and want to get after them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:15 am 
IP:
I agree with tc keep hunting that dog.Ive seen young dogs walk around clueless for several hunts.Some times it will take 10-20 hunts to get there light to turn on.You will see it happen little buy little.That pup will start wanderin off a little more every time and then sooner or later you will hear a dog open up and you will think who is that?Its awesome when they start figuring it out.I tried cage coons on my young dog and she didnt want nothing to do with it.She would just rather go hunt down a wild coon.Putin them were theres coon is a big help.Dont give up,if they got it in them it will come out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

so i took my pup(maxwell) out the other day with my cousins 5 yr old bluetick(major) and major struck, my pup heard the run and went right along with him i sat back to listen and hope to see wut mine would do and he started his barkin...we walked up to c wut we had...to bad it was all in ground dens about 20 holes in the ground in about a 50 yard radius but the coon was definitely in there...major had gotten to it he had some scratches on his nose...i was just happy to see my pup participate and actually get excited enough to bark on it...after that run major struck again and maxwell went too only major left max at the creek...my pup is still a lil leary on creeks...it was kinda a screwy run so i am glad my dog didnt participate but yet a lil disappointed he wouldnt cross the freakin stream...i am really ecstatic that my pup is comin along pretty good...im gonna try him on some caged coon as soon as i can get one trapped...anyone know how i can guarantee a coon in this messy weather??? and any other ideas or tips for training please let me know

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:39 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

best tip i got is to forget the caged coon and keep taking him with the older dog.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next