CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Post subject: Re: DOG NOT TREEING
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i had that same problem out of a six month old walker male. he would run track good but he would leave and come back to me. so i just kept on hunting him with an older female and when him and her would tree. she would stay and he would come back so i would put him on lead and walk him back to the tree and sick him up on it. i tied him back on a few coons and didnt let him have ahold of them when i shot em out and that worked for him. i hunt him by his self now and dont have any problems on him leaving tree.

HILLBILLY_101 TRAINING FACILITY! WE WILL HUNT YOUNG DOGS AND GET PUPS STARTED RUNNIN AND TREEIN. WE HUNT 7 NIGHTS A WEEK.IF YOU GOT A YOUNG DOG AND HAVE NOT GOT TIME TO HUNT OR GOT TOo MANY GIVE ME A CALL. WE SHOULD HAVE THE PUP RUNNING AND TREEING WITHIN A MONTH. WE CHARGE $250 DOLLARS A DOG.
THANKS,
GLYNDON WOODS AND LONNIE HUBBARD PHONE LONNIES #(606)598-9941 or GLYNDONS #(606) 813-4149 call anytime
Home of
Dixie Rivers dog kennels
"pr" Dixie Rivers Jane
"pr" Dixie Rivers Poor boy

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:25 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

my friend has a 4 yo redtick that has started leaving the tree! he trees for maybe 5 or ten minutes and leaves!! it like he wood rather track than tree! at first his 3 yo would stay put so we usually got the coon but here the past couple hunts she has left with him! what can be done ??? i would hate for him to ruin the younger dog but he is the better tracker of th two

NITECH KJs MAIN STREET UGLY
PR TRAILERS HIGH STAKES DEALER

Justin Earls 601 214 3196
RED BOY KENNELS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:48 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

THE FIRST THOUGHT THAT CAME TO MY MIND WHEN I READ THIS WAS ,COULD THE OTHER DOG BE THE PROBLEM ?
does the 4 yr old leave trees when alone or with OTHER dogs IF the 3 yr old female is not in the mix.?
YOU SAY YOU WOULD HATE TO SEE HIM START TO RUIN THE FEMALE. HE AREADY HAS STARTED TO IF SHE HAS STARTING LEAVING TOO.
USUALLY IF A DOG 4 YRS OLD THAT DONT LEAVE, STARTS LEAVING ,ITS MORE THEN NOT, THE OTHER DOG CAUSING IT.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:39 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Well tha female is a really hard treeing dog. But we thought that might be it so we hunted him alone and he did the same.now the gyp is not ill at all just a hard tree dog.she has only left twice and she will never be hunted with the male again unless we can figure somethin out. Maybe he just needs to be culled?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:02 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i would not cull him just yet.

has he been a decent dog up till now. was staying before. has he been hunted alot. i guess i am askin for some history on him.

believe it or not,it could be something as simple as ear infection.it would be painfull for him to tree bark or tree with a hard tree dog next to him. flip his ear back and smell down inside it, if it smells rank,it is infected.you probly already knew how to check ,but i know some dont know how.they dont check for it unless the dog shakes its head bad.

not many dogs that are stay treed type dogs for a few yrs just start leaving trees at 4 yrs old for no reason and become culls.

i was'nt trying to knock the younger dog. just lookin for reasons a 4 yr old would just start walkin off trees.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:00 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Oh no offense! I'm just lookin for the best thing to do. Well tha dog came from woodstock kennels in kentucky bout a year ago he cost like 1200 but he was not doing great so the guy through in the gyp so really I guess he has never been just burnin it up! Lol but I will sure check on the ear thing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:03 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

was he not doing great a year ago as in "leaving trees" ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:01 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Yes he did tree once for an hour or so one time that I can remember

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:45 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i thought about it awhile and i would do him the same way i would a dog younger that was treeing and starting leaving. and it was not a physical deal like ear infection..
put him with a dog that will take the pressure of him leaving. catch him off it after he left or as he is leaving and switch his butt back to it. tie him back and roll the coon to the other dog. then alone and catch him coming off and do the same thing.some of them i will tie right where i catch them.leave em and go over and like lck said,i throw a party that he is missing out on. i'd roll it out and leave him tied back to go nuts trying to get it and then just take him back the truck.go to a differant woods and try him again. most of them the more you can make them want it,the more they are apt to want it bad enough to stay treed. seen some dogs take more then a few times of watching a coon hit the ground and not getting it to see any change. and some just a coon or two makes a noticable differance. alot of the time not getting to grab the coon does way more then getting to maul it. i hope this helps.. it is not easy to catch a dog coming off. you got to kind of stay close so they dont leave before for you to get there and you not know where or which tree it is he left.. kinda just like a young dog,you kinda stay up on em so they dont have to wait for you too long at first.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:45 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

okay thanks we will sure give that a try! i had thought about tieing him back but i was not sure if it would work on an older dog or not. but thanks for the help toe cutter!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:08 pm 
IP:
hey tweeder even though he is 3 yrs old start him out just like he is a pup. get a coon in a trap or rollin cage drag it along and tease him with it then pull it up in a tree and if he is interrested u will soon find out

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

dont worry we had a 8 month old pacman pup who did the same thing just take her back to the tree a sick her up on it until she hangs up onit. if she dosnt stay dont reward her just keep on her.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:24 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

being independent is a very good thing if you can only get him to have the coon when he trees. especially if you wanna nite hunt him

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:40 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

me to my solution was to buy a stay put tree dog.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:48 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i just dont know what to do with my 16 month old! had him 2 months and he runs a track fine i just cant get that sucker to tree i have tried coaxing him and tying him. he wasnt started till he was 12 months. i really hate to cull him but i may need to i just dont know im pretty new to treeing dogs maybe im just too impatient??

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next