CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Post subject: DOG NOT TREEING
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:35 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I HAVE A 7 MONTH OLD REDBONE WHO WILL RUN TRACK AS GOOD AS ANY DOG AND WILL LOACATE AND BARK UP 4 OR 5 TIMES BUT WILL NOT STAY ON THE TREE.SHE COMES BACK TO ME.TURNED HER OUT WITH A 6 YEAR OLD WALKER THE OTHER NITE SHE WAS TRAILING TO THE LEFT WHILE THE WALKER WAS GOING TO THE RIGHT AFTER IT WAS SAID AND DONE SHE HAD THE COON PUT IT UP THEN COME OUT TO ME.THE WALKER WENT ON AND TREED ON THE TREE SO WE FOUND THE COON.MY ? IS HOW DO I GET HER TO STAY PUT ON A TREE THIS HAS HAPPENED A BUNCH OF TIMES IN THE LAST MONTH OR SO.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:22 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

She is still a baby!! I would just keep hunting her. I have had and do have dogs that start treeing later then others. I had one who was a year old before she would tree. Once I got to the tree I would just tie her up and pet up the other dogs. It finally clicked one day and she started treeing like crazy... Best thing about my dog is she is not tree crazt. No other dogs will talk her into treeing on something slick. If it is not there she won't tree ;)

Just give your pup some time in the woods and don't expect so much out of her at such a young age.

www.outwesthounds.com

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

THANKS I HAVENT GIVEN UP ON HER MY LITTLE BOY WONT LET ME.SHE WILL RUN A TRACK WITH THE BEST OF THEM AND EVERYTIME I HAVE FOUND HER ON A TREE THE COON HAS BEEN THERE SHE JUST WONT SAY MUCH.THANKS IM NOT GOING TO STOP HUNTING HER SHE IS TO SMART.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:22 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

you just got to teach her to stay at the tree. i have a pup right now that is just getting started and when he leaves the tree i tell him to get back on the tree every time he leaves the tree i yell at him to get back on the tree then i praise him. so far this has worked good for me. the dog you have is still young time will tell next time he leaves the tree try tellin him to get back on it and show him , hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:14 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

The pups to young to hunt much..Hunting a pup too early can really mess them up...Redbones as a (breed) are known to be late starters...I really dont care if a young pup runs track.Tracking is the easyest thing for a dog to learn.But treeing is a natural thing for them to do.My best dogs just about always tree. Before they did anything else..If you see a young dog checking trees hes treeminded.Sometimes it just take maturity for them to do it..Thats something you really cant make a dog do.If they dont want too..What you really have to watch is getting a young dog treeing by site.Once they start doing that.Its really hard to break them.If you can.....

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Chet McCreary wrote:
Redbones as a (breed) are known to be late starters...

ive got an 11 month old redbone..he will run a drag track, and tree a hot track from a caged coon..but when we just HUNT..he doesnt seem to realize yet what hes there to do..you think thats why? just maybe a late starter?

Post subject: Re: DOG NOT TREEING
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:56 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

it takes many nights and many boot tracks in the woods to make a coondog out of a puppy.doing it over and over and over.
the treeing will come on its own when she is all about wanting the coon.just walk her back into where she treed and encourage her to show you the tree it went up.if she does ,then pet her for it.a dog that stays treed because it is confident in its ability and wants the coon will always make a more pressure tree dog then one you make stay treed.most any pup will act like you described when starting,alot do even less. any color breed.sounds like she is doing what her bred in instinct is makin her do,her mind just aint caught on to why or what the purpose of the whole game is yet.....................TC

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:20 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

tree_dogs00 wrote:
Chet McCreary wrote:
Redbones as a (breed) are known to be late starters...

ive got an 11 month old redbone..he will run a drag track, and tree a hot track from a caged coon..but when we just HUNT..he doesnt seem to realize yet what hes there to do..you think thats why? just maybe a late starter?
LOL.. a late starter is a two yr old. your dog is just a pup yet. i dont expect to see a dog hunt out ,track and tree a coon all by itself till it is at least a year old.even then i dont expect to see it do it every time i take it.and thats after 5 months of decent choice picked trainig nights in the woods.you have done your pre training,just keep takin him on the good nights and to puppy woods where it may find a coon scent and the coon aint been dogged to death.................TC.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:38 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i am having the same problem with a 13 month old blue pup he will run and locate his tree the man i got him from did not fool with him when he was growing up i started him at 11 monts old the 2nd time out he ran a coon bye his self if i ever get him to tree he will make a good dog he is very smart any help would be app very much thanks brad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I got my dog a 6 months old and had never been messed with. I took him on walks to the woods durring the day and let him do his own thing. Then would take him to the woods hunting with the old dog, the first time he stayed with me the second time he went with the old dog but did not bark. After about 5 coons being shot out to the old dog and teasing the pup and putting it up a tree and getting him to bark and wanting to fight it. He would go with the old dog and started opening up. When I thought he could do it his self I took him by his self. By his self he did not want to leave so I would walk him in if he hit a hot track he would work it if not it was a long night ( a lot of long nights). If we went a few night and no coons we would take the old dog get a coon tie him back and let the old dog fight it. This got the pup all worked up but I would not give him any unless he ran and treeed it very well. The more he wants it the more he will try by hisself. He is 14 months and when he is cut alone he goes and when he is cut with another dog he goes even harder and will do his own thing split tree a lot. Last night we caught one on the ground and treed 4 more in the rain and was home by 11. This is probabley the best dog I have ever had.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:26 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hey bowfx29 , I have been reading posts on this site for some time but just became a member. I would think that if you took her with another dog and they ran separate tracks that she would probably get more from hunting by herself for a while. I mean if she wont stay treed now, if you take her with another dog and they both try and tree she would more than likely leave the tree to go to the other. (bad habits are sometimes hard to break) I would tie her at the tree if i could get to her in time and praise her when i got there, or if she comes back to you walk her back in and see if she would get back on tree and tie her up then. I think that at 7 months you couldn't ask for much better; there is still alot of maturing to do. he just needs some good hunting...goodluck! :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:50 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 4 month old pup ho is tracking just fine but whill not tree the coon and he gets bord relly fast.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:40 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

any dog under 8 mths old is too young to be trying to train it in the woods at night,with another dog or alone. people cause theirselves many more problems trying to make a puppy learn to do what its mind and body is not ready to handle.most any pup started before it is 8 to 10 months old will have more faults then good stuff to show when your done, from trying to push them into it when they are not mature enough. even the ones that will run and tree at 6 months old would of turned out much better dogs if you let them mature more before you try and start them..any breed.......TC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i just got a 3 year old red bone and the people i got him from said they dont know if he has any coon huntin expearince but i got one of my coon hides out and 2 see what he will do but he wasnt that interested in the hide what would be the best way to find out what hes going to do and if he dont then what would be the best way to train or is he to old to start trainin :?:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:43 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I have a 15 month old redtick that has been in the woods on hunts maybe 10 times. Half the times he will track with the other dogs and the other half he will try to run his own and slick treed 3 times! I believe he is going to be independant is this good or bad thing?

NITECH KJs MAIN STREET UGLY
PR TRAILERS HIGH STAKES DEALER

Justin Earls 601 214 3196
RED BOY KENNELS

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next