CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hates water!!
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:52 am 
IP:
I have a 6 mo old b&t pup that seems like she absolutely hates water....anyway to get her to like it?? we took her to the river w/ us sunday and the male, who is 7 months, loves it but she is a completely different story....will she get better?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:11 am 
IP:
i am haveing the same prob. but if i keep takin my redbone then he will like it because my dog will push you in evein if you are a human but they should learn to like it just take her when it is real hot and see if she will get in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:02 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

You can start giving him Baths about once a week.Most dogs hate to get a bath.But if you do it every week or so. They get used to it.Just do it with warm water and be real easy and take your time..Make it a good experiance for the dog and soon they love to get wet...A good dish soap will kill fleas also.....The last thing you should do.Is just throw them in the water...Take a lead and walk slow across a small creek first..Do that a few times..Its best to start pups around water at 4 months old or so ..Most show little fear of water at the age.The older they get they seam to get worse..Many dogs never have a problem crossing creeks and rivers...If you start them on water at a young age........

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:33 am 
IP:
Also try to make sure that the stream or pond bottom is solid. A soft or muddy bottom can cause them to be timid at first. They get more confidence from solid footing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:49 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I have a three year old that if she's runnin a coon and it crosses much water at all she will quit the track and find another one. Which I wouldn't want her crossin Rivers but creeks or old sloughs, i'd like her to stay on the track she started. What, if anything, can I do about this?

'PR'TN Ragin' Blue Banjo(Bluetick)

Post subject: pup
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:24 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

take her to a creek and just put her in the water pet her and let her know shes alright then kinda soak her down and pet her she will b fine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:57 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

my redbone loves water, my beagles and black lab hate it (i know rite! a lab that hates water!) but i was determined for Dixie to be different, so one day when she was 3 months old i through on my hip waders and took her to the swamp and i waded through the middle of the swamp, and since she was so young and had no clue where she was she started to get in the water, and then soon enough she was following me rite trough the deepest end of the swamp, and now shes 5 months old and really loves water(although the first few times she really wasn't sure about coming in) , what i did was make swimming and wading fun for her, every time she started to touch the edge of the swamp i would praise her, and when she finally came in i played w/ her, not too rough or anything just enough so that she was comfortable and was having fun, and now she goes crazy when she sees a puddle, so maybe thats what you have to do, lead her in the water and when she comes in praise her, like my dog club instructor always says "lots and lots of praise, you can never do wrong when saying "good dog!""

CH'PR'MISSISSIPPI QUEEN TREEIN MEME
CH'PR'SWAMPMUSIC BLOOD SLINGING HOSS
'PR'RAPPAHANOCK JIGSAW BLADE
'PR'BREAKING DAWN JASPER

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:12 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Funny thing my dog is just the opposite he does great on water one night he ran a coon to the edge of a river by our house"A small one" he dove right in water was about 5 foot deep so he sunk but he got the hang of it!

Pr"Houstons Outlaw Ringo"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:11 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

my dogs don't usually care to be in the water. but, if they're after something, they'll get in. one day i was fishing in a pond. i looked out and there was my older feist swimming to me from across the pond. it wasn't a big pond but she could have walked around but she chose to swim across. i thought that was neat. they don't like baths but they put up with it. i guess they prefer black muck and scummy swamp water.
i saw the dog whisperer teach a dog to like water by simpy running to the pool with the dog on a leash and he dragged the dog in with him. he was showing the dog that he was the pack leader and the dog was going with him. he didn't give the dog a chance to disagree. in just a few repetitions it worked. this was a mature dog and it worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:32 am 
IP:
well i tried the givin her a bath thing, the first one, and I'm pretty sure she hates me now :cry: i petted her the whole time and even gave her treats and she is mad as can be at me now. Wouldn't even let me put the tick spray on her after that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:07 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

lynn, my older feist will generally avoid getting wet unless there is some reason to get into the water but if she needs to, she will get deep. my denmark feist will get into the water just to cool off. they still prefer the black swamp muck to the warm clean water of the bath. actually, i use a hand spray thing in the shower for them but they don't like it.

Post subject: Water
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:34 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Me and my buddy have three young hounds, a 6 month old bluetick female, a 2 year old blue tick male, and a 2 year old english. they are coming along real good most havent been hunted very much before. But we ran them with my buddies uncles dogs and all the land we can hunt has one big creek running through it. Our young dogs were right with them and all of a sudden shut up and all the other dogs started barking treed about 5 minutes later. They had swam across the creek. All three of our young dogs were waiting on our side of the creek. His uncle said to chunk them in and they would learn we tried that with the bluetick male and he just came back to us. the creek about 30 feet wide and 15 feet deep.. My buddies dogs are fine with ankle deep water but my pup is scared to death of anything but a puddle. how do we get them accustomed to deep water and swimming? i searched the training tips quick finder but couldnt find anything

Thanks

Post subject: Hates water!!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:37 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I had a pup once that wouldnt get in the creek, so I used cheesies!! The pup went crazy for cheesies lol and they float. I just tossed a few cheesies in the creek up river from the pup and after watching them float by a couple times she couldn't resist anymore and went in the creek after them!

Post subject: Re: Hates water!!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:20 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

lol :D

Post subject: Re: Hates water!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:12 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My pups didn't like water much at first, but when I started them on released coons I sent one out towards a creek with them hot on its trail. Shot it out, coon fell in the water, about 6 or 8 inches deep, dogs followed and now they love to get wet