CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: Loading
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:09 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

tojo wrote:
I do what bear explained and it has always worked for me an e collar has its good and bad i have one and have used it not for loading . I use it for trash breaking and once to teach a dog to come when called it worked for that i think useing it for loading would make him scared to come out the box to JMO :) :) :)

Nope it don't. It knows the collar did it and knows it is in the box with it. If you do it RIGHT the dog doesn't get scared or hurt in any way. LIKE ALL OTHER E-COLLAR TRAINING. When people learn to TRAIN with a collar rather than only punish with one. The reputation of the collar will be better than any other form of training.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:30 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

tojo wrote:
I do what bear explained and it has always worked for me an e collar has its good and bad i have one and have used it not for loading . I use it for trash breaking and once to teach a dog to come when called it worked for that i think useing it for loading would make him scared to come out the box to JMO :) :) :)

right on tojo, im not a trainer nor does any dog ive worked with speak english. LOL. then again not one has turned left, right, or upside down with a e-collar. LOL.

im pretty simple minded but from pup on or when a older dog first comes to my kennel i dont take them for walks or runs unless they take a ride in the truck or fourwheeler first. it might only be two hundred yards. when they are little they obvisiouly get help but i try to associate getting in the box with having fun. common sense, right??? my pickup has a high flatbed but every dog ive messed with tries their dangest to get up their even if they cant after a few outings.

any kind of shocking i feel is assinine when your teaching your pup or dog to load up for fun time. how would a person feel if you were on a chain all day or kenneled then you got shocked when you got loaded up to exercise or hunt??? kinda defeats the purpose!!!

i could be wrong but every dog i have cant wait to get in the truck or fourwheeler.

happy training, and please use common sense.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:54 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

mnb&t wrote:
tojo wrote:

right on tojo, im not a trainer nor does any dog ive worked with speak english. LOL. then again not one has turned left, right, or upside down with a e-collar. LOL.

im pretty simple minded but from pup on or when a older dog first comes to my kennel i dont take them for walks or runs unless they take a ride in the truck or fourwheeler first. it might only be two hundred yards. when they are little they obvisiouly get help but i try to associate getting in the box with having fun. common sense, right??? my pickup has a high flatbed but every dog ive messed with tries their dangest to get up their even if they cant after a few outings.

any kind of shocking i feel is assinine when your teaching your pup or dog to load up for fun time. how would a person feel if you were on a chain all day or kenneled then you got shocked when you got loaded up to exercise or hunt??? kinda defeats the purpose!!!

i could be wrong but every dog i have cant wait to get in the truck or fourwheeler.

happy training, and please use common sense.

Well I use the e-collar all the time and mine are the same way. Can't wait till I open the gate so they can get in the truck. But mine arent ready to stop hunting and go home every time I am but I can make them come in and load up any way any time. With out hurting them or throwing them in the box and can have them doing that with in a weak of when I get them. If they are old enough to be trained. You just have to know how and have the right kind of e-collar.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:16 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i guess if it works. i must not have the right e-collar . :roll:

to each their own?????????????????????????????

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:43 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

If they don't have a rehystat switch so you can get the shock way down and bring it up to any level to fit the dog when needed. You can't do much with them but punish a dog and or ruin it. If the only time the dog gets nicked is when it is in trouble and getting fryed. Then you are takeing a big chance of ruining the dog. If use right it is like haveing a leash on it all the time. It can be verry happy and the only time it is reminded it is there is when it is being disobeident. Even then it knows all it has to do is comply to your wishes and you will treat it or love it up. It is just a ballance of reward and punishment like any good kid gets. Slap the fingers going to the electric socket, then love them up for doing the right thing. The nick is just ever so slight to remind them that the leash is still there and if they do what they are told the nick never starts. If they don't the punishment can be made to fit the crime. But when they do what they are told. No matter how you had to get them to do it. YOU ALLWAYS REWARD. So there is a contrast between good and bad behavior.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:02 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i had a mt cur awhile back that if he was out and the truck cranked, he was in it. tailgate up or down. same with the 4 wheeler. if i cranked it, he'd hop on back and get right up against me. i could drive however and wherever i wanted and he'd stay on.

&
'PR' Lemoine's Cajun Eli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:48 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i back the truck up in a ditch and make it to were they can just walk up in the box. while i'm saying load. then i keep moving it up till it gets higher and higher doing the same thing. works great for me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:43 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

BAMACOONHUNTER wrote:
i back the truck up in a ditch and make it to were they can just walk up in the box. while i'm saying load. then i keep moving it up till it gets higher and higher doing the same thing. works great for me.

Things like this work great if your dog wants in the truck. But when you pull them off a tree and want them to load when they are not wanting to it doesn't. There is no discipline for not minding. You can't tell a dog you are going to count to 3 like they do kids these days. Even if you do there has to be some form of punishment at the end of the count. If you give a dog OR kid a command. You need to have some form of punishment if they do not obey. It has to be a ballance of praise when they obey and punishment when they don't. Then praise when they give into the punishment and obey. They allso have to know what the punishment is for and how to get it to stop. A e-collar gives you the ability to keep up the punishment till they give in. Kind of like standing at the wall for a kid OR if you turn the heat up it is compairable to a spankeing. That is what is great about it. The down side is that a lot of people go strait to the spanking and a lot of time the dog doesn't even know why. Thuss the bad reputation of the collar. ignorance of how to use the collar and collars that don't have a rheostat switch so you can give a low enough shock that it doesn't hurt or frighten the dog.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:49 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i've had alot of dogs that would load at the house to go hunting, but its a differant story when its time to load to go to another drop,because they want to keep hunting. dogs learn by doing things over and over. i have had some dogs that a spiked choke collar worked just fine to teach them they load when i tell them to.some needed a switch to their butt and some did need the light bump off a shock collar. if you fry a dog to make it load they will try to knock the back end of the dog box out to get in.i dont care for that. when i get back from a turn out,i go to the side of the truck and open the tuff box to put the gun in, then i walk to the back and drop the tail gate and open the dog box doors. my dogs wait untill i say load,it is a routine i do ever time the same way. they will also jump a fence when on the lead and i say load. they have learned the command as meaning jump now.my dogs will also wait when i open the dog box doors to let them out to make a drop until i say come. i aint having a dog come blastin out like a wild thing.this stuff did not happen over night, it was doing it the same way every time for a long time,slowly teaching them by doing it over and over.each had many lessons of loading during the day so loading was the only thing they had on their mind, up and down , up and down. they only had to think about loading, not that it meant going hunting and being all fired up and too wound up to learn the lesson of the loading command.that way they don't load because they want to go hunting but, they learn to load BECAUSE i tell them to and only when i tell them to.what ever it takes to get them to load, snacks,running them up and lifting while saying load.lifting by the collar and the hide on their back,low setting collar bump,switch to the butt, to teach them the command to load.and a pat or praise when they do. after awhile they will follow the command.you just got to find the right button to get them to do it on the command.i use the same command word every time. i have seen people trying to lead a dog out of the woods,one time they say heel the next time they say get back the next they say walk.they get to the truck and say load, then get in there, then jump, then come on load. should be ONE word commands, and use the same word every time and the same tone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:10 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

simple way for male to learn is to take a female in heat that will load then he will this is to be done as yard training so he understands the command and praise him several times than do it with out her and do it when she is not excepting the males.e-collar works to but this is command teaching than e-collar.the other way is to take 2 broke hounds get them to load and praise the other dog will load after a couple of lifts by the collar like tc said its repetition.the hound needs to know the command.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:50 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i use the same command word every time. i have seen people trying to lead a dog out of the woods,one time they say heel the next time they say get back the next they say walk.they get to the truck and say load, then get in there, then jump, then come on load. should be ONE word commands, and use the same word every time and the same tone.[/quote]

TC , A MAN------------- You wouldn't believe the people I have tried to get that one simple concept threw to. People I was trying to teach how to train there own dog from law enforcement to bird hunters. Evan people that I have trained dogs for or sold all ready trained dogs to that just wouldn't say the command and ONLY the command. For example I use hup for jump. I say Shep Hup and they will turn it around to hup Shep. Well saying the dogs name means pay attention there is a command comming. So if you say hup shep before the dog can do the command you have ask for his attention again and he will stop what he is going to do and look at you. Another is shep whoa. They do whoa now shep or shep whoa now. Any thing but saying it right. AND like you said one word command. All that other crap might as well be a foreign language. Again like you said allways in the same tone. If you speek soft they learn to mind just as well as if you screem. If they are a half mile away when you screem it gets to them as a soft command and they will mind it. If they are use to being screemed at then they arent going to mind a half mile away. That is why stock dogs are trained at a wisper or very soft voice.
Wish my dogs were where yours are in there training. Been flooding here and haven't got to hunt. Got out tonight but it was real rough getting to the dogs and I have to work tomorrow so couldn't stay long. Treed twice but the leaves are on now and the trees are full of grass,hay and mud from the flood. Couldn't see crap.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:30 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

sorry to hear that, the leaves must get really big early down south. the branches are just starting to bud up here. any pics of your pups? i would sure like to see their progress? happy hunting.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:04 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Don't have any pic's but when it drys up a little I will take the camera with me. I will have to have the old lady figure out how to get them put on here. I have been after her to put the pedigree on her and havent got that yet. I want it on the computer so I can show it to some people interested in how my gyp is bred.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:12 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

SHOCKING THE DOG WOULD BE A BAD IDEA I THINK. SHOCK COLLARS ARE GREAT IF USED RIGHT BUT IN THIS CASE I WOULD SAY NOT.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

works for meThe best thing that is, if they are big enough to put there feet on the tailgate. take a small swich, and woop their back legs. Make sure you have them on your dog leash. Point thier head toward the dogbox. when they put their feet on the tailgate woop their back legs with a witch. Make take two or three times,but most of the time it takes about 5 min.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next