CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: Loading
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:35 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Take your dog put him a leash. Open your dogbox door,get him to put is front feeton the tailgate. Take and point hes head toward the dogbox,have you a small switch. Tell him to loadup, if he don,t woop him the back legs. Most of time you have him loading in about 5min.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If youcan get him to put his front feet on the tailgate. Take and put a leash on him. Have you a small switch. Point his head toward the dogbox. Tell him to laodup,if he don,t woop him on the back legs. In about 5min you will have him loading everytime you tell him to.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:36 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I seen some people post this already but take him by the collar get back a few feet say get in there and yank the collar do that every night and in a week and a half to two weeks he will get in without you yankin' it aint rocket science...I believe in using ecollars for some stuff but how ya think they loaded them before they made em'...and the treats thing theres only 8 hotdogs in a pack you go huntin a week and you burn a whole pack of hotdogs...just show that dog who's the boss give him a lil yank and he'll pck up the speech.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:58 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Teaching a dog to load has never been a problem here. My dogs naturally seem to figure out that loading means, "we're fixing to have some fun" and will pull you to the truck. I question a dogs desire if he refuses to load after a few times. However if needed;
Teach a dog to load by placeing the box on the ground with the door open. Point to the door and command "kennel" or whatever you choose for the command. Kennel to my dogs means get into whatever I am point at. Put the dog inside. For a treat, I used a kind word and a pat on the head, goood dog, ect. Command here, and pull on the rope, long lease, ect. and bring him to you. repete several times and put the dog away and let him think about what he just learned. He learned 2 things, "kennel", and "come". Repete another another day. Third day pup knows what the drill is all about, If not question his intelligence. Done confuse intelligence and self will as stupidity. Most dogs are smarter than their trainer.
Put the collar on the 3rd day and set the setting as low as possible while still being felt by the dog. Place your hand firmly, behind the ears and around the neck and activate the collar If you feel the muscles react, but the dog doesn't yelp, that is plenty of juice.
Command kennel as before and activate the collar, keep stimulation on until the dog obeys and release the collar. Command here, and hit the collar and hold it on until the dog comes to you. Release and praise the dog. It is also good to use the dogs name when giving a command as he learns that when he hears his name, another command is following and he will be listening. After a couple of days, raise the box with concrete blocks to about 1/2 the truck higheth. Now that pup is obeying, put the box in the truck for a day, then take the pup to the woods and repeat the excercise in a couple different areas so he learns that the command mean, one time given, anywhere, anytime, any conditions, neans obey now, not after a second or third command is given. Never use more juce than necessary to get the response except maybe in trash breaking, then I want an immediate response the first time, never to be forgotten.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:42 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I wouldn't stemulate on constant till the dog does what you want. 2 reasons, one the dog doesn't think as well while being shocked. So a nick as constant as a heart beat works better. Second reason is that your collar has an automatic shut off after so many seconds. Once it shuts off it will not do anything for so many more seconds. So you have no way of correcting the dog dureing that time.
Another good reason is it will burn your dogs neck. The reason most dogs wont load is that they don't know how to jump or they are to small to jump that far.
A dog that has been on a chain most of it's life knows nothing about getting its back legs off of the ground. A pup that has had a deasant life learns things like this with out you ever haveing to teach it. Others take TIME.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:17 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

.worse thing is to make the dog scared of and at the back of the truck...

Last edited by toe cutter on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:29 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

check this one out 2 pups same litter same training the one pup loaded up every time the other by the collar in the yard.well one night after running i told them to load up the troubled hound went right up boy was i surprised and the other one to.Its just like waiting for them to open up on track you keep doing the same thing until it clicks in.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:48 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

toe cutter wrote:
dogs loading to go the the woods is EASY most of the time.. coming back to the truck and loading to move spots, when a dog don't want to stop hunting is a differant story. i teach all the handling at home first. but you have to re train it all at night, under normal hunting conditions. its a differant ball game when you got a 1 yr old pup coon crazy and try and lead them out still wanting the coon and then load to move spots.i don't care how he leads around the yard and loads at home.a pocket full of hot dogs and a low sitting tailgate is the easy part done at home. the REAL work will be in the woods, when they become untrained on the leading and loading. when they are young, wound up and wanting the coon they just treed.there will be a time you will have to make a dog load and not just coax it.but once you get it through their head,it will be there for life.....unless the dog gets a laxed handler and they let the dog get away with not loading. i see dogs that can jump 5 feet up the tree and wont load in the truck..the handler picks it up and loads it..LOL.it just takes patients and work. some dogs can be more work then others and regiure more patients.worse thing is to get mad and make the dog scared at the back of the truck...

Couldn't agree more TC. You teach what the command means at home and make them do it. So when you get out in the woods they know the command and the punishment for not obeying it. Then there is no confusion about them thinking they are getting in trouble for any part of the hunting or treeing. They are just getting in trouble for not minding. Just like they did at home. Takes all the confussion out for them.
Wish you could see this B&T a guy gave me. It is so big it can crawl up on the tail gate of my half ton ford. Wouldn't jump for nothing though. Been on a chain all its life. The guy said he took it out 3 times. Wouldn't go so he gave it to me. Good blooded( Black Smokey) blood line. Just never seen people and verry submissive. I have had him about a month. He is all over me and the ex when we go out in the yard now.
First coon he wouldn't even go up to when it was dead. Second coon he pulled hair while it was in the trap. Then chased it up a tree by sight and treed. Then got a mouthfull of it live when it came out(with my blue pups help). Third coon released him right behind it and he lost sight but found the tree and treed good. Other than trying to chew the tree down. Tonight the blue pup treed his first coon (not released) by himself and the B&T pup treed with him. BUT he looks so clumbsy it just amaises you that he can do anything with out falling down.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

What happens when you have to use the shock collar in the woods
will the dog run back to the truck ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I started Rascal with slapping the tailgate open handed and telling him to 'up in that truck; consistently. He got jumping front paws up on it almost immeditely, as I take him to a lake in the woods 28 out of thirty days, sometimes 30 out of 30.

i'm so green at coon huntin it ain't funny(really ;) ). And old!!!! but just a lot of the basic stuff, my central belief is he, as well as others, really does want to please their owner. Anways, after a couple weeks I guess he started hittng the entire bed in a leap, ''''occasionally for a couple more weeks''''.

Now he can jump almost all the time from flat-footed--he's awesome that way! (Sorry I get carried away)--I don't even look at him now, I just go near the tailgate and say in the truck.. Lately, he's been cuttin through the yard like hes a NASCAR driver or somethin--and 'leaping' like a dang frog--so pretty to watch... Lots of praise, a little patience and that at least for me, was one of the easier things.

I'mma gonna be calling on yall and lookin at other old posts to learn alot I guess. I'll be spewin my luv fer coon dogs and huntin all over the place so please just bare with me. {My Boi Rascal on a coon I pt up in a tree fer him after he and a Walker I had worked him in a cage}

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:57 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

my pup ive been grabbing his collar and basically throwing him up and he will just grab on the tailgate and get in the box

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:58 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I just trained one. Every day walked him on leash from pen to tailgate, put him in the box and drove qtr mile across my medow to let him romp. Always said "load", and gave him a chance to do it on his own. After a few times, I started lifting his front feet onto tailgate. Then one day he just started jumping in. Now i drop the gate, open the box, let him out of the pen and he loads up. Two important points: 1. Always reach in and pet him up once loaded; even if you had to pick him up and stuff him in the box. 2. Be patient. He'll get it when he get's it. My dog took about 30 sessions. He likes the loose time on the little creek.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I trained my hound in less than a week, to load! Didn't use treats, shock collar or beat him! Put him on leash an said load, I would pick him up and put him on tailgate, and petted him up, did that the first day all day long! Next day I walked him to the tailgate and said load tugged on his collar until he put his front feet on tailgate, petted him up and pick his rear up and helped him! If he didn't try he didn't get a good boy or petted. Did that all day long! Next day I walked him to the tailgate a little faster, to build up momentum and tugged on his collar! He tried to jump up but failed, I would tell him good boy, but wouldn't pet him! Back away from tailgate about ten feet or so and tried it again! If he tried he got a good boy, if not nothing! He finally jumped up on the tailgate and I praised he and petted him up real good! An took him for a ride in the pasture and let him run around and be a dog! Every time he loaded up, he got to go for a ride. Now I can just let him out of the pen and say go load up! An he is waiting on the tailgate for me to tell him to get in the box! Same way when I need him to load up after being out all night! We can be 300 yrds or more from the truck and tell him to load, and he will be waiting on the tailgate when I get there! Its about how much time and patience you have and are willing to put in on training your hound, that determines the method of training and what you are training them to do! I used collar for the command come, so when we are hunting and I need him to come back! I make the collar beep, and he comes back! Each method is good, but it depends on what you want them to learn!

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:36 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

x2
some good posts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I just walk them to the truck from the rear kinda fast n say load up n basicly try to run them into the truck n when they try to jump I pull on the lead to get them to jump higher n each time they load I praise them n give them a treat n just repeat it till they get the hint now I just turn them loose off the chain n say load up n the hounds run around the house to my truck see the tail gate dropped n they all go to the truck like a bat out of hell. My male waits next to the truck so u can put his collar on then once it's on I just look at the box n he is in it right now. A shock collar don't fix squat to me. Then only reason y I will use one is to get one to mind me n come to me and also when they run deer but I can normally get away with out using it.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next